BreakQuest new 21 screen shots and release date.

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by NuriumGames, Sep 13, 2004.

1. NuriumGames

Original Member

Nurium Games has released 21 new screen shots from their upcoming game BreakQuest. These show new levels and a bit of the intro, see the bad guys from the evil corporation.

BreakQuest is a full remake of the classic game Breakout. It features a flexible physics engine, advanced collision system, modern graphics and sound. 100 unique levels full of fun.

BreakQuest was scheduled to be released this month, but the release date has been delayed to next month, October 2004.

Nurium Games
    Home page: www.nurium.com
    Screen shots: www.nurium.com/scshots.php

2. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

I'm really looking forward to this game. It looks great. Good luck with it :)

3. oNyx

Original Member

It does indeed look pretty interesting for a breakout game. Something else than rectangular blocks and there are also physics - cool! :)

Btw a small gameplay video might be a nice idea at this stage.

4. NuriumGames

Original Member

Hi,

Thank you for the comments.

> Btw a small gameplay video might be a nice idea at this stage.

You can download the Beta version with 4 levels .

5. oNyx

Original Member

It's really great :D

And it even ran with 500mhz perfectly fine (page says: Pentium-III 700+ or equivalent).

The only thing I found a bit odd is the mouse smoothing behaviour. It feels like negative acceleration if you get above a specific speed. I guess it was a compromise for preventing the physics causing havoc, but you could also cheat the other way around (I think). Just cap the force impact. No one would be able to notice that and you could move the ship as fast as you want to.

Well, it isn't a showstopper.

Imo it's a sure hit. Good luck :)

6. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

What is the relationship between the game and those rather excellent-looking cartoons?

7. Nemesis

Original Member

Was about to ask the same question.. :)

The game looks promising.. could be more fun than Richochet...

8. NuriumGames

Original Member

The paddle acceleration and speed are limited due physics constraints, for faster paddle movement it would need more integration steps, it's not easy as capping the collision force (in fact the system already does it). Too fast objects have implications in the collision point(s) detection and some other places.

The cartoons are from the intro. The game has an introduction (The evil corporation controls TV and everybody is hooked to it, you have to clear the path to the highest mountain to install the electro magnetic disruptor that will finish all emission ... :eek: ), and of course there is also end (not the one you would expect).

The drawings were made by a free lance comic artist.

9. Andy

Original Member

What?.. :eek: :confused:
    Ah, OK. :D

10. Sirrus

Original Member

Great game...
    Each level really makes you want to finish just to see what you have designed next...

Alex

11. oNyx

Original Member

Ah... I see (kinda). Heh well, as I said no one would be able to tell if there's some force capping or not ;)

Which integrator are you using (if I may ask)? I'm just asking because the verlet integrators (verlet, verlet velocity and verlet leapfrog) can cope with much larger steps than euler (which easily blows up). You loose precision there, but it doesn't matter at high speeds anyways (since no one can see it).

12. Sunshine

Original Member

This game is one of the funnest indie games I have ever seen.

AWSOME work :D

I bet you could even charge 30$ or more for this.

13. NuriumGames

Original Member

Thank you all for the compliments. :D

> Which integrator are you using?

I'm using Runge-Kutta 2 :eek: . It uses the same input/output variables as Euler (unlike Verlet) but can handle larger integration steps, is more and stable and precise, at a cost of twice the computing time.

I'm using the open source Dynamo Library for physics ( http://home.iae.nl/users/starcat/dynamo/ ), and you can select some integrators (Euler, Double Euler, RK2 and RK4), or make your own.

14. oNyx

Original Member

I just wasted alot of time ;D

see?

I just gave up at the end, because I got more lives than I lost...

Ah well the usefull bit:

In that "enter your name" thingy... the small 'f' is missing (It's "a b c d e e g h[..]" right now).

15. NuriumGames

Original Member

Hi oNyx, it seems you made quite a bunch of points :)

I knew about the 'f' thing, thank you for pointing anyway.

In the final version, the 'Normal' a little more difficult and 'Hard' level will be significatively harder. Also there is the arcade mode, where you can set up the game to be insanely hard (or as easy as you want), see this shot: Arcade Configuration Screen

16. whisperstorm

Original Member

I am really looking forward to this game. It's one of the few games that I've played the demo of over and over again. The physics engine is just so fun to watch and the "feel" of the game seems spot on.

After you release this -- it would be cool if you think about doing a version with a level editor :)

One comment - and this may just be my trashheap of a mind, but when you are equipped with rockets, it looks kinda ... phallic. See screenshots
    http://www.nurium.com/scshots.php?scshot=02

I didnt notice it at first, but now it's pretty funny... especially the placement on the ship...

17. NuriumGames

Original Member

> it would be cool if you think about doing a version with a level editor

I've been thinking about it, but an editor able to create the 100 scenes of the final version would be quite more hard to develop than the game itself, so its not currently planned.

> it looks kinda ... phallic.

Well, its a game of balls. :D

18. Sirrus

Original Member

Aren't space invader resembled sprites copyright?
    ;)

19. NuriumGames

Original Member

> Aren't space invader resembled sprites copyright?

It seems so, I was warned and changed that level, and also the PacMan (Ghosts) one.

I've updated the website screenshots to show the new version.

Thanks.

20. tolik

Original Member

You can always leave a possibility for an "unofficial" ;) expansion pack.