Brand new and wanting to learn.

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Runeru Voychev, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Runeru Voychev

Runeru Voychev New Member

Hello there. I am right now in the process of learning Unity so that i may use it to build my first game. But, before I dig too deep into it, I am wanting to know. Is unity the better program to use for a beginner to learn? If so not, what would be a good starter game design/ development tool that would be better for me to use?

I am not looking for anything much, for my goal right now is very small scale and it will more than likely be a small point and click adventure game at the most, or maybe even smaller for a completely text based adventure game. For time is not really on my side due to work and other things.

And if you ave any advice when it comes to this, I would love to hear it. I know there is not alot to pick from here since I am digging into this idea of mine. But, if you have anything to share, it would be amazing.

2. Lance Von Alden

Lance Von Alden New Member

An advice from another newb:

Unity is (I think) one of the best free engines around with Unreal. But both are very complex to use and your projects will have to wait quite a while to even take shape. Why you ask? Cause you are gonna struggle at first not only with learning to use the program and user interface but also with the programming language both use, which is not very nice for a beginner (AsI have heard/read around), and filling the gaps of the resources you might nit be able to make for yourself or learn to make em.

Depending on what YOUR ultimate goal is, I have different recomendations:

Do you wanna make all the aspects of the game yourself or are you willing to accept help/pay for people to fill roles in your projects? Do you wanna focus only on the graphics and leave the programming/music composing/storyboard to others? Do you wanna make the stories alone and just find resources online to fill the graphics/composing/programming needs? Do you wanna fill the role of the main programmer and leave the other roles to resources or other people? Wanna branch and do many roles but still search for help?

If you are looking for a nice learning curve, I would recomend Unity/Unreal only if you have a team already, and that you focus on whatever roles you are given by the team for the moment.

If you are on your own, then is better to either choose a different engine more suited for a beginner and learn the aspects/roles you wanna do from the very beginning, let your learning curve go up nicely.

Remember there are many roles that need to be filled in order for a game to take shape, and Unity is not very good of a tool if you do it all alone. Many projects of lonely indiegame-developers are either done with a lesser engine or with online resources. So you might want to consider all that. Problem with online resources is compatibility, you might have many images, music and codes that cause trouble cause they don't get along with other resoruces as much as you would like.

Engines I recommend?:

- RPGMakerMV: Is able to develop games without any knowledge of coding and your games will be like any PS/SNES RPG. It also have many resources online and you can modify the engine of your own game with Javascript, which you can use to learn coding a bit or download pre-made codes that fit your tastes. Problem is, it is not very good for 3d games unless you add a lot of coding and you need to pay for the engine.

- Ren'Py: Very nice Visual Novel engine that works with Python, you will learn some coding and game-making on the way and is very simple to use and learn. Python is a popular language and very good for beginners. No need for many resources, but if you want to add, the engine is very resource friendly. Takes more time than RPGMaker to shape up a nice game but is free and offers a nice starting learning curve.

- Godot Engine: Seems like it has some support from the game'dev community and has nice documentation. It has a couple of details since it is an Open-source Free-to-use Engine, but it seems very useful and the comments on its 2D engine seem pretty good, sometimes better than Unity or RPGMaker, I think that right now is the best for beginners.

And remember all the roles that need to be filled somehow before deciding where to start:

- Coding
    - Art - Pictures, Mugshots, Character Sprites, etc
    - Music Composition
    - Storyboard - Making the Stories for games (not a must if you are making a game like Geometry Dash or Candy Crush)
    - Management - Someone that makes decisions wether what goes where, how something should work, and the final look of everything.

As you can see, there is a lot to do to make a game. So you can either learn each one and make everything yourself (lots of time but will yield the best solo-development results); learn a few or one aspect and replace the rest with free online resources (might yield results but must of the time it will be slightly below average results); learn a few or one aspect and look for a team to fill all others (best results if the team can work good together).

#2 Lance Von Alden, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  3. Runeru Voychev

Runeru Voychev New Member

Thank you very much for this.~ I was not expecting such a detailed response. But, you are right about one thing, though I am still going to learn the unity engine, since it is something I do want to learn out of fun and the code required for it, but, I actually do have an RPG maker, it is old yeah, but it does work.~

Alright, I think i will take your advice and see what I can do with the other engines first before I dig too deep into Unity. And since you said there was a place for creating a story, that is something I would see my self loving to do. I always enjoyed writing in all genres so that spot may be where I need to develop a little more. ^^

Once more thank you for your advice. I might come to you since you seem to be very knowledge ale about this.

4. Paul Murray

Paul Murray New Member

I personally use Godot. It's similar to Unity in some respects, but it's an open-source project as opposed to a commercial product, so doesn't quite have the same level of polish or amount of resources/assets, but it's growing in popularity every day. It uses a Python-like language, but the new 3.0 version that's being worked on will allow you to use other language, including C#.

5. zizulot

zizulot New Member

Game maker is really simple and requires minimal coding knowledge, I used to use it , now Im using UNITY , what can I say , it takes some time to get used with Unity and C-Sharp, but after you know what you doing its awesome engine.

6. Lance Von Alden

Lance Von Alden New Member

I personally never heard of Godot before this, and to be honest I am quite impressed. Is not the top-notch latest-tech Game Engine but seems like it has a lot of support from the community and the reviews I have gotten around are not bad. At least its 2D engine seems better for beginners than Unity2D, and the GdScritpt (Its Scripting language, very much like Python) seems easy to use and learn. I think that I will add this to my recommendations and personally might use it for now.

7. rayparse

rayparse New Member

Well, I 'm a beginner here and honestly this is the first time I heard about Godot. Thanks for sharing about it. I will take a look at it.

8. Cleaf

Cleaf New Member

Unity can be complex, like any other engine, depending on your desires, your detail and a lot of other "things".

Also, Unity haves a LOT of FREE tutorials around the web, there are plenty of "make a game from scratch" tutorials on youtube, plenty of free assets and in my opinion Unity is very user-friendly.

9. zizulot

zizulot New Member

Must agree with you, It was difficult for me to get used with it, but now its awesome

Cleaf likes this.