Borrowing Audio

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Nikos Beck, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Nikos Beck

Nikos Beck New Member

I'm working towards a test version of my game. I have awful placeholder art (I did it myself) but I'm using audio from a different game. The sound effects aren't exactly what I need but it's a key part of the game that I want to have in place when I start sharing it with testers.

Where do you get your placeholder audio? How important is placeholder audio to get the feel of a game in development?

2. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I generally don't bother with any audio until towards the end. Its easier to add in an easily manageable audio system/triggers that way.

3. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

Very common (I do it too), which is kind of sad, considering that audio has a major impact on the experience.

4. Olivier

Indie Author

This time audio has a greater importance than in my previous games, gameplay-wise but mostly for the game's atmosphere (various environments). So I implemented audio (SFXs not musics) right from the start by using used and unused samples from my previous games.

So to answer your question, I think that the importance of audio in a game depends on the kind of game.
    And to answer your other question, you could use sounds you already own or buy CDs. You could also use stuff from sites like FreeSound, I did: http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/

5. MrPhil

Original Member

6. oldschool

Original Member

also http://www.soundsnap.com/

7. AnthemAudio

Original Member

check out findsounds.com

An online searchable database of lots of sounds, pick your format, resolution and have at it.

Again, these are a mix of public and commercial sounds so...placeholders only!