Books based on your game

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Richard Nunes, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Richard Nunes

Richard Nunes New Member

I'm working on a Sudoku project and I am planning on self-publishing a book containing a hundred Sudoku puzzles. Sudoku works very well on-screen and on paper. I came across a book called "The Puzzle Lady Mysteries" which is fiction with sudoku and other puzzles mixed with the prose. I'm not a writer so I'm not quite ready to write a mystery novel but I'm sure there are ways to integrate books into projects.

What sorts of projects are we all working on and is there a way to integrate books? I haven't seen one but I strongly suspect there is an Angry Birds colouring book in the works. How many indies consider durable products? I'm not talking about plush toys that become torn-up dog toys. I'm sure more than a few players would purchase a wall-sized print of their plot of land in Farmville. I would probably draw the line at Leisure Suit Larry shower curtains. Any success with non-game products?

2. dannthr

dannthr New Member

If you thought that the app store was a saturated marketplace, then books are the original saturated marketplace.

I come from a creative writing background and know several people who have published books, not POD books, but straight up published and the whole process can really only satisfy if either you derive great pleasure from having a book or you're Dan Brown famous.

You can actually lose money trying to put your book in a store, remember manufacturing costs? That thing that games doesn't really have to worry about as much anymore?

POD is different. There is definitely a place for vertically integrated merchandising, but of course, I think you need a highly iconic branding in order for the integration to have a substantial effect.

3. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Kindle is the new disruptive technology on the planet and, at 70% direct to the author (assuming $2.99 or greater), you can actually make a dollar.

4. Artinum

Original Member

I'm working on a novel (not linked to any games, just a typical novel) and hope to get it published. I am under no illusion of becoming a millionaire. What I always remember is that Stephen King is not rich and famous so much for his novels as his film adaptations. I think "Carrie" made him about $50,000 before he sold the film rights.

5. dannthr

dannthr New Member

50,000 is a huge success in books.

6. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Carrie #'s are incorrect. I had to Google it because SK describes Carries publication as such a life changing event in On Writing.

New American Library bought the paperback rights for $400,000, which, according to King's contract with Doubleday, was split between them.[8] King eventually quit the teaching job after receiving the publishing payment. The hardback sold a mere 13,000 copies, the paperback, released a year later, sold over 1 million copies in its first year.

Like Indie games, lots of folks are toiling away for nothing but some hit it out of the park.

7. Artinum

Original Member

Fair enough. I couldn't be bothered to look up exact figures!

8. Richard Nunes

Richard Nunes New Member

Excellent point. I'm hoping enough visitors to the website (with my Sudoku variant playable online) will enjoy it enough to buy a book. Print-on-demand is how I plan to mitigate loses. If I have enough demand, I can switch to self-publishing.

9. dannthr

dannthr New Member

I like the idea of a narrative surrounding the puzzles. There has to be a reason for them to get the book outside of mere additional content.

You could also do some little fun easter-eggs with your game, like solving the book sudokus not only enhance the narrative of the book, but maybe unlock goodies in the game.

Any way you can intertwine the content to entice the user to buy the book is probably a good thing.

10. Pallav Nawani

Indie Author

Whoa. That reminds me. I need to create a 'strategy guide' for Pahelika: Revelations soon. I actually designed Pahelika: Revelations as a story - the design document is actually a hastily written narration of the adventure of the hero. So I gotta rip out the story part and polish it a bit and release it as a walkthrough.

11. Richard Nunes

Richard Nunes New Member

There is a a book series out called the Puzzle Lady mysteries and in one book she travels to Japan and faces off against "The Sudoku Lady". I haven't yet picked up a book in the series but the concept is certainly interesting.

12. weguwe

Original Member

Maybe you could try linking some other sudoku books from amazon first to find out if your customers are interested at all. Before investing all that effort into your own book.

13. HMAudio

HMAudio New Member

I'm almost ashamed to admit it at this point but when I first read The Da Vinci Code I got into some of the puzzles in the book such as reading things backwards and figuring out word puzzles. I also grew up on choose-your-own-adventure books. How about a sudoku book where a secret number answer leads you to what page you should go to next! ... ...

14. Richard Nunes

Richard Nunes New Member

weguwe, I'm going to use publish-on-demand so that I can gauge uptake on the project without a big capital investment. I have already perused the five thousand books on Amazon in the sudoku and puzzles sections to pick some that stand out.

I was also a huge fan of "Choose Your Own Adventure" books and, as a kid, I tried to write a few.

15. sake-bento

sake-bento New Member

I've sold a decent number of copies of a tie-in book for my game, RE: Alistair++. To be fair, it's mostly art, but it does include a short story. Since it's based on a visual novel, adding extra narrative was really easy, and all the fans really liked it.

16. Richard Nunes

Richard Nunes New Member

That is awesome. This is the sort of thing I was thinking about.

17. sake-bento

sake-bento New Member

Oh! It's not exactly indie (well, if you think about it, the first one kind of was), but the Myst series had some tie-in novels released. They weren't novelizations of the story or anything - just extra story set in the same world. They were written as a standalone story so that you didn't have to play the games (or even know they existed) to enjoy reading.

18. Richard Nunes

Richard Nunes New Member

Bump.

I have published a book of 6x6 sudoku puzzles.