Bolton Uni launches casual games initiative

Discussion in 'Development & Distribution' started by mooktown, Feb 22, 2007.

1. mooktown

Original Member

2. Man of Ice

Man of Ice New Member

I bet Phil has :-D

He is on the radio this morning (BBC), but I'll poke him the link to here when he returns.

3. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Hey Paul,

Although the project mentions "Casual games" as a focus. The intention is ANY type of games, its basically a project to help small or startup game developers actually find thier feet and get a good start in the business, or to help existing businesses interested in new games markets (for instance web developers interested in doing flash games or advergames).

So its not just casual, but XBLA, PocketPC, anything.

What we can do, is help with things like pitch preperation (for instance if youre going to do XBLA work), we can help with business advice. We have industry "mentors" coming in to help give an experienced view of things. We have a "Dragons Den" event where you can come and present your game and get feedback from industry vets. We will even arrange trips to say the Casuality conference in Amsterdam, or that pitching event in Lyon France (which I cant remember the damn name of).

Its all about making people aware of the industry, aware of each other, aware of potential markets and opportunities.

Not that I'm trying sell it. Get in touch with Rebecca if you want to know more, there's absolutely nothing to lose.

4. sillytuna

Indie Author

You're thinking of Game Connection :)

Dragons Den, yay. We have that here every now and again!

5. fmsoftware

fmsoftware New Member

Good to see Univeristy courses and initiatives are getting some press.

I think the pitching process is very important and a great skill to learn. I'm at Portsmouth University and we pitched our game to a publisher's representative. Although our demo was technically sound the selling of the idea was most important.
    Unfortunately getting the opportunity and practice to do this in a real situation is limited. Glad to hear you are trying to solve this.

I'd like to see support (money +/ press) from Universities where games are being developed. It seems like many students are focusing on creating games for their portfolio to get a job. Infact they could be creating games to sell themselves and going the indie route.