BMTMicro and Comcast

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by elias4444, Nov 9, 2008.

1. elias4444

elias4444 New Member

Ok... I really like BMTMicro, and I really want to use them for my primary service. It's just driving me crazy that I can't access half of their sites through my Comcast home internet connection. Luckily, I can access their vendors.bmtmicro.net site (which is the big one for account management and things), but I can't access www.bmtmicro.com in order to get to the developer help section and whatnot.

I've checked DNS, and I'm getting the same IP address returned from Comcast as I do from other ISPs that work just fine. I've done a traceroute from both ISPs, and both make it up through the final singlehop.net device. My Comcast then just bombs out on getting a return from www.bmtmicro.com.

Does anyone else have this issue? I'm guessing there are other Comcast customers out there that could test this for me. I'm wondering if it's a system wide thing with Comcast, or just my area.

All help is appreciated! Thanks!

2. rioka

rioka New Member

Their website works for me. I noticed, looking at the address bar that all of their pages are on a secure server except the home page. Normally, there shouldn't be a problem viewing the pages unless the certificate wasn't accepted, blocked or some other reason.

3. Jason Chong

Original Member

Maybe you can contact comcast's tech to reroute ?

Either that or go with another internet provider who has better routing.

4. Jim Buck

Indie Author

I have Comcast (in Massachusetts), and I can access that site just fine.

5. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Tried using other browsers?

6. elias4444

elias4444 New Member

Yes, I've tried other browsers, other routers, other DNS services, other computers, and so on. It just seems to be the Comcast service here. I wasn't sure if it was Comcast-wide or just this area. Sounds like I need to call Comcast and sit and wait on hold until they answer. Unfortunately, there aren't many other options for broadband where I'm at. I can get snail-paced DSL (1 mbit down and around 128kbit up), but with all the uploading and internet work I do, I need something with a fatter pipe.

7. RinkuHero

RinkuHero New Member

I have the same problem, I can't access that site at all. I'm not on Comcast though, I'm on Cablevision / Optimum Online. I asked BMT about it on these forums and they said as far as they know it's working, so I've no idea why it never works for me. I've also tried all browsers.

8. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

Everything on this side appears to be A-OK. I will check into it from this end and see if anything turns up.

I do know we haven't received any other messages about connectivity issues - if a site is down, even for a few minutes, we get floods of emails about it.

Thanks,
    Thomas

9. elias4444

elias4444 New Member

Yeah, this has been an ongoing issue for me. I'm not thinking it's BMT's fault though (since I can access the sites from other ISPs normally). I'm currently looking into dumping Comcast and going with AT&T 6.0mbps DSL. I'm mostly worried about the loss of bandwidth (I transfer files quite regularly while developing). Although it sounds like DSL sustained rates are higher than Comcast sustained rates... guess I'm going to find out. :p

10. RinkuHero

RinkuHero New Member

One thing I noticed which is weird is that the Google cache of the site will not appear either. It also hangs forever, just like the site. So perhaps it's something on the site itself that is incompatible with something on our computers?

11. princec

Indie Author

Hmm I shouldn't wonder that Comcast is proxying HTTP traffic and processing it before it reaches you...

Cas :)

12. Cartman

Indie Author

I have the same issue on my Comcast in Seattle. I don't know why www.bmtmicro.com doesn't work for me. But as described above the vendor.bmtmicro.com works fine. I don't have this problem at work.

13. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

14. elias4444

elias4444 New Member

Oh yes, it loads. Never had a problem with the sales pages loading.

For an update, I went ahead and ordered AT&T DSL. Once it's installed I'll be dropping Comcast. Not only will that hopefully fix my problem, but it'll save me quite a bit of money each month. :)

15. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

Just to clarify:

The secure server that handles customer orders (secure.bmtmicro.com) and the control panel (vendors.bmtmicro.net) are on a different network than www.bmtmicro.com and help.bmtmicro.net (help.bmtmicro.net contains the help files for the control panel). Our secure servers are also located in a different geographic area and have multiple connections to the backbone.

Even the comcasts guys that cannot access www.bmtmicro.com have no problems reaching either of our secure servers.

#15 Thomas@BMT, Nov 12, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  16. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

Can you access www.mgosports.com or www.vgaplanets.com?

Thanks,
    Thomas

17. elias4444

elias4444 New Member

18. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

Ok... do you have a static IP with comcast?

Thanks,
    Thomas

19. Frozen In Ice

Original Member Indie Author

Comcast had problems a while back with DNS resolving, according to the Internet Storm Center (I can't remember exactly when though). I have no problems reaching any BMT Micro destination from Canada (using Rogers). You might want to give OpenDNS a try and use other nameservers to resolve http addresses instead of Comcast's servers. Just a thought :)

20. elias4444

elias4444 New Member

No, I don't have a static IP address, and yes, I tried openDNS. :)