BMT Micro (an affiliate point of view)

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Digital Entanglement, Jul 20, 2011.

1. DaveGilbert

Indie Author

Swank. Thanks, Thomas!

2. TeeGee

TeeGee New Member

That's awesome news!

3. lakibuk

Indie Author

Yes,me! I don't have problems with them. What's wrong?
    Maybe my handfull of sales/month is too low to have problems.

4. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I had ONE affiliate sale this month through Plimus, and the person was unable to download the Planet Stronghold Strategy guide and since their IPN is broken had also to manually activate it on my server! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

5. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

I still use Plimus at the moment, but as I said I'll be transitioning to BMT next month starting with the pre-order of Dirk Dashing 2.

I had been fairly happy with Plimus, but recently some changes occurred that I don't like. First, half my Mac customers are unable to use the Plimus-generated download links. Their browser just fills with garbage characters, like it's trying to open the download link as a web page. This has only started happening in the past couple of months. Plimus support has been very unhelpful about this. Second, as others have said, the search capability is broken when it comes to searching for new products in the affiliate catalog. And again, Plimus support doesn't seem to be in a hurry to fix it. And of course, the user interface seems to be getting slower and slower all the time.

6. DanFromFastSpring.com

A lot of gamers have been switching over to FastSpring for sales of games on a one-time or subscription basis. Part of the reason is the intuitive, elegant interface (Screenshot: http://bit.ly/ntSRfn) and order pages (Sample order pages: http://bit.ly/oTxE85), but it's the unheard of level of support that has been blowing people away. A couple of client feedback samples:
    "FastSpring is definitely the best company I have ever interacted with."
    ""FastSpring is awesome. I haven't experienced customer service this good in my life"

Here you can see what some gamers (Venom, GamesforOne, PokerCoPilot, MindToy, etc.) have said about using FastSpring for selling games:
    http://bit.ly/9MmuYG

7. Swattkidd

Swattkidd New Member

You wouldn't happen to be affiliated with FastSpring would you? lol

8. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Yeah gifting sounds rad, worth a customer newsletter at Christmas for sure!

I use BMT on my site an have my products available for affiliates on BMT and Plimus. Recently a Plimus customer couldn't download from the link for some reason. This has never happened on BMT. I think Plimus must deactivate the link after a certain number of tries and maybe the customer had some weird internet connection or download manager.

Anyway I always get good customer service (real emails!) from BMT.

9. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Yes, Plimus deactivates their download links after 3 attempts or 24 hours. But aside from that, it sounds like maybe your customer ran into the same problem that half my Mac customers are running into.

10. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

We can do that too but have several options for expiring download links.

A neat trick is to set the links to never expire and when you release an update you can replace the old file on our server with the new one and announce that it's available using the same download info that customers already have.

#30 Thomas@BMT, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  11. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

I think it's useful to let the download links expire, to protect the links if some bonehead customer decides to post it online somewhere. What I don't like is that Plimus won't let me configure this, and they won't change it for me either. I frequently have customers who purchase a game, but don't get around to downloading it for a few days. Maybe that's unique to me, because most of my customers are parents & grandparents who purchase for their kids, and often they buy the games as a gift. But I would love to be able to change the expiration to 72 hours or something more reasonable for these customers.

12. DaveGilbert

Indie Author

The same thing always happened to me with Plimus. When I release a new game, inevitably I get dozens of angry emails a few days later. :)

13. Vino

Vino New Member

Fastspring and BMT are both great but I think BMT inches ahead because of this. FastSpring doesn't do it at all.

14. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

Here is how our system works:

When setting up the product, you have the option for how long the password is good....

Options are:

31 days
    60 days
    180 days
    365 days
    never expire

Within the allocated time the program can be downloaded 10 times in any 24 hour period before the link expires.

Example: You select the download link to expire in 31 days. For 31 days, the file could be downloaded 9 times every day, then the link would expire. Or, if the file was downloaded 10 times on say... day 5.. the link would also expire. The customer could also wait 31 days before downloading it at all and the link would still be good (until the end of that day, when it would expire).

Now... there is another set of criteria you can use that can put the brakes on distributing the download link and password around the internet.

* No Country Mismatch Allowed - This setting only allows downloading from within the same country

* No Region Mismatch Allowed (Default) - IP match 000.000.xxx.xxx (x means this part of the IP address does not need to match)

* Only Subnet Mismatch Allowed - IP match 000.000.000.xxx (x means this part of the IP address does not need to match)

* No IP Mismatch Allowed - IP match 000.000.000.000 (x means this part of the IP address does not need to match)

We've refined this over the past 10 or so years and really - there is something here for everyone and it works really well.

15. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

One more thing...

You are in full control of customer passwords and can retrieve the status of a customer's password in the control panel. This will show you how many times a password has been used and the IPs that used it. You can reset blocked or expired passwords at anytime.... even years later if you want (as long as the product is active)

BTW, we use two different terms in the password manager... expired passwords and blocked passwords. If a password is expired, then it went through the normal 31 day (60, 180, 365) setting and the system expired when time ran out. If a password shows as blocked, it is because of the cross ip check or more than 10 downloads in a single day.

16. jmc

jmc
    Original Member

You'll be happy to know that someone is about to release a "reflexive clone" this year ;)

Jmc.

17. jlv

jlv New Member

When you set the download links to never expire, does that affect previous links too or only the links sent out after the change?

18. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

Changes aren't retroactive but if you should need a mass update we could do it for you.

19. Escapee

Original Member

Dear Thomas@BMT

A filter function to sort out the latest games/product by genre by date or ID would be extremely valuable for affiliates. I believe technically this should not be too difficult to implement.

SELECT * FROM Database where softwaretype = '$softwaretype' AND active = '1' ORDER BY dateadded/ID DESC LIMIT $start, $limit ";

Yes!!! I won't have to search through 75 pages of "games and diversion" for latest products anymore!!

20. Jack Norton

Indie Author

There's already a "show me Games only after 2011-07-01" function available, though I admit is not the most user-friendly affiliate panel :D