BMT insight

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Teebird, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Teebird

Teebird New Member

In about 2 weeks, I'm going to place a couple of games out on BMT to sell. I've never done this before, nor have I ever bought any games from BMT or any other service. BMT help or FAQ can't possibly answer all my questions, so may I ask a few of them here.

1. After uploading my game to BMT, can I refresh the file at any time as I upgrade and fix bugs?

2. If a customer asks for a CD backup, does BMT burn and mail it, or do I?

3. At what point in the process does a customer see a registration key?

4. How will a customer know that they have a registration key?

5. What is the recommended time period to leave a download active for a customer?

6. Should I setup the cart and buying process on my own site, or give one link to BMT?

7. Is there a test-mode on BMT so I can run through the whole process my customers will see?

Please answer all you can, BMT gurus.

Thanks!

2. JGOware

Indie Author

"1. After uploading my game to BMT, can I refresh the file at any time as I upgrade and fix bugs?"

Yes.

Best thing to do is just put a test program up there, run a purchase by yourself and see how everything goes.

3. rioka

rioka New Member

I get three emails practically simultaneously. One is an email saying that the order has been received, second is a receipt, and the last is an email with the registration key with instructions and so on.

See above. They see all those emails and they know that have to put in a registration key to unlock the full game. That and you can't play the demo further unless you plug in a key. :|

4. Jason Chong

Original Member

How are you sending the registration keys? I am using php scripts and followed their example but I needed to modify it since the example uses a method that requires my hosting to modify their php settings, but i found an alternative way to read raw http post data without modifying php settings.

5. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

1. After uploading my game to BMT, can I refresh the file at any time as I upgrade and fix bugs?

Yes

2. If a customer asks for a CD backup, does BMT burn and mail it, or do I?

BMT does.

Get it in email right after they order, usually pretty quick.

They get 3 emails - order confirmation, receipt, and registration key. I believe they are clearly labeled.

5. What is the recommended time period to leave a download active for a customer?

You mean full version download? If you are using reg keys you would be just using trial downloads only right?

6. Should I setup the cart and buying process on my own site, or give one link to BMT?

Depends on what you want to do. Letting BMT do it is the easiest then you can customize and do some stuff on your own site later if you want. That is what we do here (inspired by Arcade Town ;) -

http://www.download-free-games.com/order/order_platinum.php?itemid=377

7. Is there a test-mode on BMT so I can run through the whole process my customers will see?

yes I think they can set up a trial cart for you before going live. You can also do test orders as well.

I have loved working with BMT. Might not be the most advanced tech out there but it is solid and awesome customer support. They have some cool upgrades coming too.

6. Teebird

Teebird New Member

Thanks guys, that really helps me.

My games have no demo/trial/full switches, so is there any reason for me to use registration keys?

My games also have large terrain files, and I want to send the game out with one or two terrains, then direct customers to my website to download others for free. Does that sound good?

I'll also package some groups of terrains for sale at a small price. Does that also sound okay?

Thanks.

7. RinkuHero

RinkuHero New Member

You don't have to use reg keys, I just have a separate demo and full version, they just get a link to the full version when they purchase the game.

8. Aldacron

Original Member

It would be more user-friendly to allow the extra files to be downloaded from the game menu if they are optional. Or perhaps as part of an auto-update process.