Blogtastic

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Nexic, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Nexic

Indie Author

2. Dyno Kid

Indie Author

Nice Blog Neil.

I find these personal stories very interesting....keep em coming m8.

Darren.

3. RinkuHero

RinkuHero New Member

Don't be so discouraged! I pointed a friend to your blog, and we discussed possible reasons your games failed to do well, and this is what he and I came up with, although you've probably thought of these before, and we haven't sold (or tried to sell) any games yet, so take these with salt and such.

1. All your games are shooting games, and the market for shareware shooters is very small, and you're up against some pretty good competition -- ZUN's bullet curtain shooters for example. I don't mean this offensively, but if I had a choice between one of ZUN's games or one of yours, I'd choose ZUN's very quickly -- he's just *really* good at making them. Of course, his games are Japanese-only, and the shipping from Japan is pretty high, but people who are really die-hard shooter fans don't mind that -- I paid more than the price of the game "Shoot the Bullet" in shipping in order to get it.

2. You might not be the best at marketing, or might not have spent enought time on it? Do you put as much effort into the marketing as you do into the games? I think Steve Pavlina (and others) have said that it's best to put at least as many hours into the marketing as you do into the creation of the game.

3. Luck is an important factor. Sometimes it comes down to something like, one reviewer choosing not to put in a good word for your game because he was too lazy to finish it, or just didn't like the colors or something arbitrary like that.

4. Nexic

Indie Author

I think all of those three things are correct to an extent, especially the marketing.

Just so you know I'm not planning on making this a negative, whine about everything blog :) There will be other stuff too!

#4 Nexic, Sep 8, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  5. DaveGilbert

Indie Author

Hello!

I'm a newbie to this forum, and a relative newbie to the indie game scene itself. I am very impressed to see you soldier on after all this time. You seem to be quite prolific in your ability to churn out titles, although I'm not much of a shooter fan so I haven't tried yours myself.

I think we're all bound to make mistakes. Lord knows that I made a few when I released my first commercial game last month. (only around $150 in sales so far). Still, you seem to be in the right place as far as generating revenue. I'm learning as I go.

-Dave

6. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

ad. rates

Hi Neil, interesting blog. I've put up a blog myself at Rusty Axe (www.RustyAxe.com) and I'm finding that I really like to blog about what's going on in my indie life. I'm thinking that it will be interesting to look back in a few years to get a snapshot of what I was thinking about day by day right now.

Anyhow, I never saw your note about advertising and couldn't find ad. rates on your site. I'm interested in having the Rusty Axe animated logo on your site if I can afford your rates - please drop me a line about #'s.

Thanks.

7. joe

joe
    Original Member

I have bookmarked your blog - hope you will update it regulary :)

8. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

Why am I the ONLY guy that doesn't have a blog? (A: I know it would suck up too much of my non-existant time.)

9. Nexic

Indie Author

Hire someone to write your blog!

10. dxgame

Original Member

Why are you advertising other games not coded by you on your site? Let me get this straight, you spend month after month coding a game, then you spend more time to market it, and the icing on the cake is to advertise other developers games on your site? Unless this site is eventually going to be a portal, I don't get it. ? ?

11. joe

joe
    Original Member

Probably because he has customers who asking him for more shooting games? I also sometimes get emails from customers asking me, when our next game is coming out. This means, you can't deliever products to some customers who wants to play and PAY for a new game. This way you can earn a little bit as an affiliate between your game releases :)

12. Nexic

Indie Author

Joe pretty much hit the nail on the head. I can only produce a new game every 6 months or so, but each of my games is only likely to keep them satisfied for a few weeks. There is also the traffic I get who have seen my games and decided they don't like them. Rather than have them leave my site empty handed I might as well try to get a little commission out of them.

At the end of the day most people would just like to have a handful of sites they visit to find their games, so going the semi portal route does make sense in that you are offering customers lots of high quality games from one place. IE the sucess of supermarkets.

Yeh the competition is likely to hurt my direct sales a little, but I doubt it will be by a huge factor. If it does make such a large impact that I'm actually losing money then I'll go back. It doesn't hurt to test these things out.

#12 Nexic, Sep 18, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  13. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

I'm actually curious about this since I've never done affiliate sales. Of the people who affiliate, roughly what percentage do affiliate sales make up your total direct sales income?

I've been very hesitant to sell other devs games on my site because I want to keep my site unique and focused on my games. Between portals, download sites, flash game sites, and reflexive affiliate sites, it's very easy to just blend into the crowd or be indistinguishable if you're not careful.

Affiliating similar themed games is probably not as bad but I still think it hurts your identity as a developer, especially if you haven't built up a solid community or customer base yet and if the affiliate games on your site appear indistinguishable from your own. I don't have any facts to back up this opinion just anecdotal evidence.

But I see a lot of devs here are also affiliates, so I'm guessing it's at least somewhat profitable. That's why I'm curious to know what percentage do affiliate sales make up their direct sales income.

Personally I like Moonpod's approach. They only sell their game on their website and there website is pretty much the only place on the Net where you can buy Starscape. This makes Starscape synonymous with Moonpod and moonpod.com. Definitely a good long-term approach, IMO.

14. lakibuk

Indie Author

I like your blog cause it shows the harsh reality of indie DIY-business.
    An antidote to all the post-Pavlina / selling-stuff-on-the-internet-is-a-breeze-if-you-listen-to-your-inner-voice blogs and articles.

15. jwc

jwc New Member

Well said!
    anyway you can instantly spot those crappy and tricky blogs. Headlines like "I made XXXX millions $ with this affiliate program" etc etc.

I wonder who is still so stupid to believe in such bullshits!! :D