[BlitzMax] Help with image-drawing

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by orias, Nov 27, 2008.

1. orias

orias New Member

Hello everyone,

I just started programming again after many many years, and don't have the energy to pick up C++ again, or start with C# or something, so I jumped right into BlitzMax, downloaded the demo, and begun trying it out. At the moment, I am writing a text-based game, just to get the hang of programming again (kinda sorta had to start from the beginning again, although I'm not a total newbie, because I programmed ALOT some years back). But I have run into a small (huge) problem. I can't seem to get any images to be drawn correctly, for some reason. Every time I try to draw an image, it becomes VERY dark. What have I missed? I know I am doing SOMETHING wrong, because it is possible to do this in the demo (I am using the images to make a sort of mini-map, so that it's easier to find your way around, in my awesome little text-based world), and I know that since I've tried running some of the sample programs, and they work just fine, using images.

This is what I have so far. I have "Graphics 800,600" in the start, as well as "SetBlend ALPHABLEND". Then I have a function that loads the images (so far it's only three images), using "imagevar = LoadImage("imageblabla.png",MASKEDIMAGE)", using 255,0,255 as the masked color (kind of a magenta-ish color I guess), using "SetMaskColor 255,0,255", which I put before the LoadImage's. And yes, all my image variables are set with the TImage type, in a header file, and I use strict in the beginning of the program, so that I have to define every variable before using it (and the game compiles just fine... only problem is that it screws up the drawing of the images). I draw the images with "DrawImage imagevar,x,y" (where x and y are the coordinates, and not two variables named x and y).

Anyone has any ideas as to why this happens? I really don't get it. This is what it looks like:

www.orias.se/screwedupimages.png

This is what it SHOULD look like:

www.orias.se/correctimages.png (I created this picture with paint, using the screwed up one)

Regards,
    Anton

2. JGOware

Indie Author

Did you mess with the setcolor at all? You may need to reset it before drawing anything. SetColor(255,255,255)

As a general note you may to have a reset function something like this at the start or when you want to reset everything.

SetAlpha(1)
    SetTransform(0,1,1)
    SetBlend(AlphaBlend)
    SetColor(255,255,255)

3. Crimson Knight

Crimson Knight New Member

Global settings stay until changed. So like JGOware said, if you don't change the global color setting back, EVERYTHING stays the same color until you change to another color, like SetColor(255,255,255).

So for example:

Code:
    Function draw_stuff:Int()
    SetColor(255,0,0)
    DrawImage(poops,x,y)
    SetColor(255,255,255)
    End Function
    This is good practice, though a reset function is good too.

I'm a Blitzer, and I use SuperStrict myself. :) I've been raised by my Game Maker days to specify EVERYTHING.

4. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

turn off filtering?

5. orias

orias New Member

THANK YOU. This helped ALOT. Yes I have been messing around with setcolor alot, but reseting it helped ALOT. THANKS! :)

6. charlie

Original Member

Just to qualify this, Blitzmax is state based, meaning that any change you make to colour, scale, blend, rotation or alpha is carried through to whatever else you draw until you explicitly change them.

Cheers
    Charlie

7. orias

orias New Member

Thanks, Charlie. Good to know. Good to know indeed! :)