Blitz / Dark Basic

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Jay_Kyburz, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Jay_Kyburz

Original Member

The release of Blitz Max has reminded me that it and Dark Basic exists. My understanding is that even tho these are consumer level products they can be quite powerful.

Not long ago I started a thread about C# and Pascal and I taught I should evaluate these platforms as well.

Can anybody think of any other games programming products I should evaluate as well?

2. whisperstorm

Original Member

Gamemaker has come a long way since it's primitive beginnings. It's great for making 2d games... http://www.gamemaker.nl

3. Jay_Kyburz

Original Member

After 10 minutes of reading the Dark Basic website I remembered why I blocked this out of memory. Blitz looks promising tho.

Anybody know if the Max version is due out on PC a matter of Weeks or Months?

4. Valkilos

Original Member

I guess I'll throw in my $0.02.

Blitz is surprisingly fast, stable, and powerful for what is essentially a scripting language. A surprising amount of indie efforts have been done in Blitz (Platypus being one of the more technically impressive). IMHO, though, many useful higher-level commands (collision detection and so on) are either missing or not as effective as they could be, so writing your own routines is standard fare (there are lots of open source libs available, though).

DarkBasic Pro is less stable and fast than BlitzBasic - it does, however, have more useful high-end commands, from what I hear. Unfortunately, there is a dramatic rise in minimum system requirements for a DarkBasic program in comparison to... well... anything else, making it somewhat less than viable.

Of course, take what I say with a grain of salt - I'm a bit of a BlitzBasic fanboy. :D Anyone else have input?

5. Ricardo C

Original Member

Conitec's 3D GameStudio, my development system of choice. The engine is quite competitive with current tech, and the user-friendliness of the tools can't be beat. Create a level in the world editor, compile it, and run it. The pre-made scripts library means you can test basic concepts quickly and without typing a single line of code, though of course you'll need to do the dirty work yourself to create something truly unique.

The user community is very active, and freely shared assets (both code an art) are commonplace. The current biggie is a normal mapping shader that's just been released, and works quite nicely. There's also a user-made physics engine, for users without the latest and/or more expensive versions of the software (3DGS ranges from $49 to $899 in price, depending on the features you want.)

I highly recommend it, unless you have the manpower to exploit the soon-to-be-GPL'd Quake 3 engine. It's an enormous time saver, especially for small teams, or lone developers :)

#5 Ricardo C, Dec 11, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  6. Sybixsus

Original Member

Hehehe, that's the million dollar question. The original plan was that the PC version would follow in a few weeks. It *could* be longer but I rather suspect the pressure to release it will escalate dramatically now that a Mac version is available.

7. Axeman

Original Member

Blitz is not a scripting language. All versions of Blitz compile to machine code.

8. Jay_Kyburz

Original Member

I jumped in and got a copy of Blitz 3d and Visual Blitz this evening.

I found searching the forum really useful. ;)

9. robleong

Indie Author

You won't regret getting Blitz3D, rather than waiting for the PC version of BlitzMax, and after that, the 3D module. Don't forget visiting blitzcoder.com too! ;)

10. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Just an advice... while everyone talk well about blitz, I can tell you that the debugger is terrible.
    Also Blitzmax on my Mac was quite slow...but is an early version... ;)

11. Phil Newton

Original Member

I don't think the debugger is that bad. It's not as advanced as some other languages, but it still does the job. Lets you check the value of variables and step through code line by line, so it does all I need it too. The bundled IDE (if you can call it that) is very poor, but there's a few excellent third party ones out there. I've heard good things about Visual Blitz, but I'm a Protean user myself.

Blitz isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I find it fun to use which is a big plus for me. I'll stick with my usual answer for this type of question, and give the clichéd (but still true) saying of "try them and see which one you like".

12. EpicBoy

Original Member

I played with the BlitzMax demo a little last night and it didn't seem slow to me at all. The language additions they added are excellent and I love that it allows so much more flexibility and power now.

Blitz is an A+ language in my book. It's well supported and it's pretty much bug free - unlike DarkBasic and others of its ilk.

13. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Make a management game with 10.000 different players, updating team rosters, and we can talk ;)

Anyway can´t beat VC break-edit-continue...

On my iBook, I ran the demo of the ship that shoot zombies and was VERY slow. I have a new ibook G4 1,2Ghz ... My games written in C+PTK run very fast... ;)

14. ~J~

~J~
    Original Member

Hi folks,

My first post here and something that I can give a constructive answer to :D

Blitz3d is a great little language to learn. It's fast, can produce some cracking results and has a fantastic forum over at blitzbasic or blitzcoder (blitzcoder however can contain the odd d!ckhead though so be careful).

Phil Newton hit the nail on the head, the debugger is awful though! Gives some pointer values but nothing really definitive, and the inbuilt IDE will put a few people off.

But I'd recommend it to anyone....

15. exepotes

Original Member

listen to that guy!! (~J~) :D :D . trust me, he's doing some very nice stuff with b3d, and some other people has (and will) do too!
    i'm currently testing it, and it's a nice language, with some issues, but what you gonna do... (EVERY language has issues, and i've programmed in COBOL )
    pascal (or delphi) is actually my prefered language, because of the balance of power/easyness. it's like and older (and forgotten) c#... or something like that. if you want, try it with the omega components (www.delphisanctuary.com - they are free), and enjoy. very easy to use, and POWERFUL.
    i'll keep my tests with b3d (and probably buy bmax PC someday), just because of the community, and because it's game orientated. and i like that :).

#15 exepotes, Dec 13, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  16. Sunshine

Original Member

Just from my own experiance. I bought DarkBasic and well... It Blows!

They may have a new version out by now, but the one i got a year or so ago was absolutly pointless unless you are an absolute noob. It was more suitable as a replacement for QBasic :rolleyes:

17. Vectrex

Original Member

"Anyway can´t beat VC break-edit-continue..."

man.. if blitzmax had 3d and that then everything else can go jump. I think edit and continue is one of the most powerful features you can put in an ide. It makes me smile just thinking about it (I'm a flash script monkey by day and THAT has a worthless debugger :) )

18. EpicBoy

Original Member

Well, it should have it in the coming months.

And if you're experienced with OpenGL you can have it right now if you want - BlitzMax exposes the OpenGL API to you, so you can code it yourself if you're comfortable using OpenGL directly.

19. Vectrex

Original Member

I was more talking about the break and continue feature of VC. Does anything else have that? It's the one feature thats drawing me towards using vc as I waste SO much time restarting/replaying/testing/repeating that to be able to break, change code and continue uninterupted is a godsend. If blitz had that it would be a very major feature.

20. EpicBoy

Original Member

I think you threw me when you said, "man.. if blitzmax had 3d".

My bad. ;)