Blender For Whole Project

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by ProgrammingFreak, Jul 9, 2007.

1. ProgrammingFreak

Original Member

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here has used Blender for their whole project? Like used Blender to do all the graphics and then used the gameengine and stuff like that.

2. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

A whole project??

I couldn't use it for a whole hour. The interface is hideous and about the most unintuitive GUI I've ever come across. Yuck.

3. ProgrammingFreak

Original Member

Well there are still other's here that can reply. Yes the Blender interface isn't the greatest, but out of the modelers I've have tired, Blender seems to be the easiest for me. I don't know why and everyone thinks its hard.

4. electronicStar

Original Member

I don't see the point of using their game engine, you can have the same results than Blender with any 3D engine and some of them have become very easy to program. For example there are really no reasons to use Blender when you can do the same and more with Blitz3D (less than $100).
    Plus, if I'm not mistaken, Blender is an interpreter, so you'd have to distribute Blender + Python (I think) with your program and it would be slow. That's really not very efficient.

That said Blender is still a great tool for modelling, it all depends on wether you like it or not. I think many people use it for professional projects.

5. ProgrammingFreak

Original Member

Well I guess that's true. Although recent versions have focued on improving the game engine.

6. andrew

andrew New Member

I'm using Blender for art assets... it's different than Max/Maya but has it's own charms. Certainly no reason why you can't do professional work in it.

The game engine, on the other hand, is a nightmare. Dozens of better options exist.

- andrew

7. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

I've found that the last three (or so) versions of blender have improved it enormously. The orange project (elephants dream) pushed it a lot, and they're having a couple new similar projects now.. Still, I haven't looked at the game engine, and have no intention to.

I've written a custom blender exporter which may be helpful - it's part of the ambrose3d package at http://iki.fi/sol/ambrose3d/

8. Bad Sector

Original Member

When it comes to interface, people just "yuck" on first sight because Blender has a different philosophy on interface design from other programs. Once you sit down and learn the basics (it won't take you more than an hour) you'll really admire how brilliant this interface is.

That is, unless you're spoiled by 3D Studio MAX. For some unknown reason, when someone encounters MAX in his life, his brain gets damaged in some mysterious way and just cannot use Blender (or most non-MAX-like programs). So beware: you don't have to be a 3d modeller - even if you just made a cube there, your brain is in danger and you will have serious issues using Blender :).

You can also use CrystalSpace instead of Blender's internal game engine. Project orange and project yellow (under development) are meant to improve Blender as a modelling tool. There is also another project that is meant to improve Blender for game development.

I believe that in the years to come, Blender will become the program to use for game 3D modelling.

9. esrix

Original Member

Whether or not it's a good modeling program is a matter of opinion. A lot of people are use to interfaces that are more customizable than Blender. I use it for my models, but I'm also smart enough to recognize this weakness. Supposedly, the interface is getting an overhaul in the November release.

I've done some programming experiments inside of Blender. It would be better if you could just type up some python after importing the game engine and run. But instead, it forces you to attach the python script to Blender's "logic bricks" which I think is very constricting. I also think it limits the overall capabilities of doing more advanced stuff that might not be covered by the logic bricks.

For game programming, I've been looking at a number of engines and most recently discovered Unity (haven't tried it yet, though). It directly imports the native file formats for Maya, 3DS Max, and has limited support for Blender's .blend file format (it imports geometry and textures, but currently has no support for bone animation). They have two different licenses, one for indies and one for larger corporations. It might be worth keeping an eye on.

10. ProgrammingFreak

Original Member

I'll look into that unity project. Yes many people who have used 3D Studio Max, hate all other modelers, at least that's the way it seems. I've used Blender, cause 3D Max cost too much, just like Maya. I find Blender kinda easy once you get used to it. Yes the game engine still needs some work, but it is improving. Plus I think Blender is the best free modeler you can get. It has a lot of features that commerial modelers do and then some.

11. Sysiphus

Original Member

yes you can, perfectly.

hehe, agree with you till a point. I'm a maxer, I allways disliked both Max and blender. So...Right now, my pro tool is Max: everytime I work in a game company I work with Max. I DO love to animate characters in Max, is quite poweful, tho there are huge areas to improve, specially in the nitty gritty.

I do consider Max 9 (let's do fair comparisons, everythread these two appear, blender users speak about the Max 2.5 they used back in '97 and compare to the latest blender build) quite superior to Blender, yet, Max still is carrying the heavy weight of no good solutions in many areas. You elarn to live with then, just like in Blender. But my opinion, is , power wise, Max blows away many of the 3d tools out there...

And even so, to the interesting point: Max costs , or usually did, like 3,500 $. Blender now, zero.

the other point is...while UI is sort of hard, sort of different, is usable. So much that I do use blender in my actual game projects, be it prerendered character animation, design renders for using in logos and corporate design illustration (yeh, and have given more crazy uses: a design company not wanting to waste 3500$, see with tender eyes that u install blender) , for doing real time 3d character animation, models , and , specially lately, levels, as finally, bake feature, and work on multiple UVs , now allows doing lightmapped levels, with kind of...sort of GI rendering (ambient occlussion) , which gets quite nice.yet tho unsure if game formats are using already these features to port stuff in the game formats. You dont need the game engine (i don't think is very conveninet for this market) , but to use those game formats, mostly done by users. IE: there's an OUTSTANDING doom3 md5 exporter for blender, way less problem than the ones that are for max.
    *.x format also works (but formats with weights require good 3d knowledge of the artist, in the middle zones too, an dthi sis not so common mong regular users ) , md2, md3, also. For levels, collada is starting to get nice for blender, but also there's I/O of OBJ, getting advanced (tho the format does not support two uvs ( for the lightmaps), as you know) , and a large etc, even more if you're aware on where to find every blender contributor plugin page.

There's a working B3d exporter now, seem to be supporting well character animation, I doubt it does support lightmaps, for what i read from someone, for same reason pointed....yet.Lightmaps exports, if not already in latest builds, soon to be , maybe in a month, probably.

I've done toon reders perfectly casual-level, even can do illustration like results, with tricks. (freestyle, an special toon rendering, is gonna be added to bledner soon...that'll rock. )

there's in the works a vectorial export in SVG format, I've used and works till an extent. Also some swf export.

But in general, I dont overcomplex my workflows, usually for casuals I'd go for 2d , that is , prerendered hi res 3d, and for that Blender also works.

So, I'd agree about the UI. Just take me as an example: I didnt like it, the UI, nor the workflow, but i use it now in lots of my job and personal workflows.

In short: yep, you can do full games with it (even with the engine, but then: too many added limits...) , just prepare to be patient an discover by ur self loads of tricks...

hhhmm...you were asking more if it was actuallyt possible, being afraid of what you'll find late rin the project...but you like the ui and workflow, so last paragraph does not apply.

As allways, you can't do everything with a single tool..(I use a lot of specialized tools, ie, I model with Wings3d or Max at jobs, even if animate later on blender, and uvmap on ultimate unwrap) ..ie, you may need external tools for doing normalmaps (or parallax maps, etc...but not for "casual" hardware yet, imo), fortunately there are enough free good ones...
    But you can deal even doing almost all with blender: I just prefer to use every tool in what it is best.

#11 Sysiphus, Jul 10, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  12. Sysiphus

Original Member

...personal opinion here,(if above sentence refers to strictly "modelling" objects or characters) but i dont agree. I much prefer Wings3d. And feature Wise, be sure to know well Max ...yet tho, Max is not my fav for modelling.Imo , specially for organic modelling, tools like Wings, Silo, Zbrush, Mudbox, are better in their specific areas than Max or Blender in same areas. I think blender is not better neither in modelling than Maya or Max. But that's me, hey.

One very nice thing of blender is...it is lightweighted, and in a curious manner, practical. But you need to learn it very well first.
    For character animation, my fav is Max. I guess XSI is better in that field; I just don't feel totally well with it, but most surely, lack of experience on xsi.

13. ProgrammingFreak

Original Member

Well I've tried Wings 3D. I've found Blender to be more flexible as a modeling tool then Wings, althouhg Wings is still quite good. However I'd have to use Blender for my modeling, for me Blender is somewhat easier then Wings, I don't know why.

14. Mentat

Original Member

I've learned a whole lot about blender through the open courses at Tufts (go to the "Learning Units" and "Supplementary Material" on the left-hand margin):

http://ocw.tufts.edu/Course/28

15. oldschool

Original Member

I would like to know if blender could be used for a commercial project as well. The demo games range from interesting to total crap. I had some video card problems but I think the computer I'm on right now has a rage 3d or crappy on board video. The games I tested weren't slow and this is a 1 ghz duron with 128 meg and a broken cpu fan. I think that if you commit to working within the limitations you might be able to use it. However, I think using another engine would be a better idea.

I've checked out unity and it does look good. Almost worth the price of a mac. Try the windows demo.

Ps. Yes, we all know that a ton of ppl don't like the interface. That's been discussed to death here(and everywhere else). I can't stand wings and I love Art of Illusion. Don't like macs, green eggs or ham. So what:p !

16. Sysiphus

Original Member

I've made all sort of (tons) of models with Wings3d(personal projects and main modeler inside companies), btw. (while I can model with those other two, also, and with Max/Maya if company requires) I wouldnt use Blender game engine for a casual game, though. I allways think this question is refered to Blender as a generator of art content. And is capable of comercial quality in that matter. Maybe not retail games requiring full normalmaps related features and a bunch of other things, but for casuals, absolutely.(you can do almost all what is not there with fakes, and time consuming tricks, but time is a factor in comercial retail production. But for anything done by small companies or individuals, absolutely. imho )

17. ProgrammingFreak

Original Member

Well I just wanted to know if anybody has tried or did make a whole game using Blender, which is possible. Although I guess it is just to use Blender as a modeler since it can make very high end graphics or rather render them or whatever all that really techinal stuff is. Although I find Blender a little easier then Wings, although I can see where Wings can be easier, but Blender gives you more flexibility.

18. esrix

Original Member

19. ProgrammingFreak

Original Member

This is a good read, thanks

20. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author