BFG lowering to $6.99 too!

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Jack Norton, May 14, 2009.

1. Acord

Acord New Member

Here's an idea: Developers that create content for portals should create something that they feel is worth the lowest price being charged. If it's a 4 level 1 minute flash game that repeats itself, so be it.

2. Dyno Kid

Indie Author

I can only talk from my own experience here but for "Bumps" on the portals we got a max of 35% royalties with some being as low as 25% and some starting at 30% and dropping to 20%-25% after a month or so.....

At $6.99 @ 35% i make $2.44 from which i have to pay my team of 3 others which leaves me with a grand total of $1 per unit sold.

For Bumps to break even for the "time" (2,400 hours) i personally spent developing it even if im only worth $10 an hour i need to sell 24,000 units to break even.

Could this be the end of big budget hidden object games and a return to match 3 or similar?

iPhone is looking more and more attractive to me everyday and we have nearly finished a physics puzzle game called Tumble for the iphone so i'm going to see how Bumps does compared to Tumble and make a choice which way to go.

Darren.

#62 Dyno Kid, May 15, 2009
    Last edited: May 15, 2009
  3. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

until iphone royalty rates get halved...

selling direct from your own website lets you keep over 90% of the price the customer pays.
    This is way way better than these deals where you hope some crumbs fall off the publishers table.

4. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

I do a bit of 'everything' direct and via others.

Out of everything to date in the last year the profits I've made from iPhone have wiped the floor with everything else.

Not sure how long it will last of course, but iPad is on the horizon and I've just signed up for another year on the App Store yesterday.

Crazy times now for sure but I'm sure it has to end somewhere? so don't put all your eggs in just the PC or even iPhone basket is my advice - i.e. that's basic damage limitation for those that want to survive the storm... unless you're Cliffski and are loaded or something :)

#64 Adrian Cummings, May 15, 2009
    Last edited: May 15, 2009
  5. defanual

Original Member

iphone isn't that much different from portals...

Not to mention the fact that iphone is a volume sale strategy like casual portals with thee exception that you'll have to set the price below $5 (I think peggle was / is $4.99, which is considered expensive by iphone standards) just to get the chance of getting in the top list(s) and get the coverage needed to sell in the volume needed.

But of course, if it's just one egg, then give it a try, but I'd probably advise against putting all your eggs and energy into the iphone basket, I haven't read about any more iphone indie overnight slumdog millionaire's lately (not to suggest that's what your expecting) nor any repeat success from those same people (yet).:(

Looks like Adrian beat me to it, right down to the eggs & baskets :D

6. Scharlo

Original Member

Maybe you should read the whole post. Percentage of games sold for $20 on BFG was less than 10%.

7. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Good old eggs & baskets :)

8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I make more in 1 week of pc/mac sales of my game The Goalkeeper than 2 months of iphone sales... and I think it's quite advanced to be an iphone game (full season, stats, training, change team, customize goalkeeper, etc).
    I think iphone market is really hit / miss driven and because of that I'm not really interested, I don't like to play the lottery :p

9. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Perhaps it's becasue I got in early on iPhone? (I had the 1st or 2nd free/adwrap game on the App Store then too) not sure really as there is no pattern.

10. defanual

Original Member

Adrian, do you mean your iphone revenue's from ads? I've not really heard much about this strategy, I've only heard about paid versions with lite version upsells, so a care-and-share on this info would be interesting if that's the case?:)

11. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

I did use ads at the very start when the app store launched but over time I pulled out of ads after I took a 'lot of heat' about it at the time from the public and press/media (quite a long story to explain) but somehow I was accused of cheating the App Store ecosystem by using ads to generate micro payment revenue on free software - hey that's plain clever business at work not cheating! :p

I then went on to release at $1.99 and then later $0.99 mostly. The slots games have been pretty good for me although starting to die a little more now of course as expected.

At this point in time I'm readying new software for the App Store that has a lot more effort in it and will release a few of these whilst filling in with more cheaper mainstream titles at $0.99

I used Greystripe and still do on Java mobile but given I made more with paid sales than ads over time I left it behind... there are some threads on here about adwrap and how it's not as profitable as it was at the start regards iPhone.

That's about it really no great secret I'm not loaded like some rather I am comfortable which in the current economic climate is a miracle.

If you do a search on here for posts by 'Hooble' you will find the info you require in great detail :)

12. defanual

Original Member

Yeah, I remember a few posts on adwrap, but those were for java based mobiles if I remember rightly, didn't realised it could be used for iphone, kinda sucks that you got heat for do the ads model, hmm.

Oh well, thanks for sharing anyway :)

13. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Yes there are indeed seperate adwrap sdk's for iPhone/iTouch.

14. Escapee

Original Member

I used to make significantly more income in affiliate game sales than in ads. Now it's the other way around. I'm amazed at how fast things have changed since the last December.

15. princec

Indie Author

After my recent experiment, I'd have to conclude affiliation is well and truly dead.

Cas :)

16. papillon

Indie Author

Affiliation still works, but you need the right affiliate and they need the right customers!

17. Jack Norton

Indie Author

It's all about target market... how many times I have to say this? :rolleyes:

Siread for example sold a good amount of my sports games and guess what, he has a site with soccer games!
    Hanako and Amanda have sites of RPG and VN and doh, they sell lots of my VN and RPG.

Posting things like "affiliation is dead" is - sorry - a big lie. You can say you haven't found other sites willing to carry your games with similar audience, that's ok.

Escapee:
    If you have just "generic affiliate sites" you can expect only sales coming from generic (poor) google / flash traffic. I'm willing to bet if you just release even a freeware game of a particular genre (any kind, RPG/simulation/strategy etc), and put some good affiliate games upsell, you'll be surprised by the results.

18. princec

Indie Author

I think my market must just be too niche - nobody else is attracting sales for these sorts of games. Hmm...

Cas :)

19. Midnight Synergy

Indie Author

Amanda, concerning your post on "snack games":

I too have been toying with the idea (albeit just in my mind - nothing concrete yet), and am wondering if you have any ideas to address the following potential problem: say a BFG gameclub customer has purchased Aveyond 2 for $6.99 and loves it. Now, this is a huge game (well worth $20), and so the customer is very happy with it. Along comes the next game in the series (Part 1 of Aveyond 3), a much shorter game at the same price. Do you feel there's a danger in such customers being upset that the new game is "nowhere near as long as the previous one", given that from their point of view the two games were the same price?

And, would you make these broken up games portal exclusives (and sell the Aveyond 3 full game at $20 on your own site)?

20. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

She wants to sell each episode of Aveyond 3 (and the following ones) at 10$. No "full game" planned, as far as I know.