[beta test]Please try my vehicle physics

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by yanuart, Jan 13, 2005.

1. yanuart

Original Member

Hi, I've been messing around with vehicle physics for the last week only to produce this for my next upcoming games :D
    http://www.iplayallday.com/test/biketest.html

please try it and comment on the how the physics feels.. is it good enough ?
    nothing sophisticated just verlet n spring thingy in 2D though :D

ps : I didn't lock the rotation to make it easier for you to flip back after tumbling down, the result is kinda unrealistic rotation indeed but that will easily be fixed.

2. Carrot

Indie Author

can't get it to work at all. Bike just reverses off the left edge of the screen. Might just be my setup though...

3. papillon

Indie Author

That happened to me as well. Rolls backwards to the edge of the screen, then flips itself. No input by me did anything.

4. yanuart

Original Member

ahh.. you need to click on the game first.. it's just that the browser won't focus on the swf automatically..
    sorry bout that.. I've updated the html though..
    feel free to try again

5. washizu

Original Member

It would be easier to test if there were a few straightaways where I could stop bouncing.

6. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

It's good. I had the same problem where I slipped off the end. Was because I didn't apply any throttle in time.

Physics felt fine. Looks like it'll be good fun.

7. Greg Squire

Original Member

The physics seemed realistic enough for me, except for the fact that I could ride upside down with my head in the sand. ;) (Reminds me of the very first time I tried to water ski. I was trying too hard so my skis were up but my head was down in the water.) Also it looks like I broke the bike at one point after going off of a really big jump (Nice addition if that was intentional). The frame was moved down from the wheels but was still able to move. Seeing that this is just a prototype for your phyics code, it looks good.

8. yanuart

Original Member

yup.. you can actually broke the bike but so far I put it on automatically reset mode everytime you crash into the ground too hard.. I hope ur okay with that water ski accident :D
    the idea is you must be able to control your bike.

errr.. the game suppose to be a motocross thingy so there'll be alot of bounce and crashing :D In fact that's the idea of the this test.. to make sure the bounce/jumps looks good enough..

9. FlySim

Indie Author

Looks good to me. Maybe add some way to dampen the jumps so you can build some speed for the next big one. That verlet spring stuff is great - used it a lot in my fishing game (rod, line) and kite sim.

J.R
    www.flysim.com

10. lakibuk

Indie Author

Reminds me strongly of Elastomania. Don't have a problem with the rotation. Good for doing somersets.

11. Ricardo C

Original Member

The physics feel good, I had a lot of fun doing somersaults... And falling on my head almost every time :D Great fun :) My only complaint/bug report is that at one point I went straight into the sand and the bike kept going down until it disappeared.

12. NuriumGames

Original Member

This can be fun. Physics feels good, I'll add a little damp but other than that feels great.

13. Greg Squire

Original Member

Oh yeah I'm fine. Maybe just a little "water on the brain" occasionally. :D

14. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Cool. Ya might want to check out Bike or Die, which is another cool game that does funky bike physics. http://bike.toyspring.com/

15. C_Coder

Original Member

I have quite some fun! (especially with head upside down! ;) )

1. It does not feel a lot like a real bike. It feels too springy...

2. Seems like the bike is feather light...

3. Normally when landing with the rear wheel you go down on the front wheel. What happens here is that you just go back more and you finish upside down!

Nice work though...Did you use a physiscs engine or did you do your own?

16. Matthew

Indie Author

Nice work! I love physics-based games like this. If you haven't seen it, check out DNA Internet's trials game: http://www.dnainternet.fi/pelit/english/ . Elastomania is another favorite, although personally I'm not a big fan.

17. Addictive 247

Indie Author

Excellent fun! It would be a great engine to do a remake of the old spectrum game Kickstart :)

18. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

Good solid mechanics. Been addicted to this game BMX Backflips lately. It has great mechanics/controls and would definitely be worth looking at. Note his smooth curve hills and simple controls but don't how it's difficulty is cranked up way too high too quick though. btw - sorry I'll get to your games soon Yanuart, been working well over 80+ hours last few weeks.

19. Darky

Original Member

The playing is pretty good alone, but the thing I don't like is that the suspension of the bike is way too bouncy.

20. Abscissa

Original Member

I also noticed that the bike seemed a little too light and bouncy. I spent about 99% of the time in the air.

Still cool though.