Best player experience for tactical rpg action options

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by balthatrix, Feb 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. balthatrix

balthatrix New Member

Hey guys,

I'm programming a tactical rpg based on the 5e DnD rules, and I've been haunted with a dilemma. My problem is I'm going back and forth about when action options to give a player character when it's their turn. Here are my ideas which I can't settle on:

What I currently do: On turn begin, I take all the actions that the character HAS, and show only the actions that the character CAN DO. For example, this illustrates the distinction between HAS/CAN DO: A character has equipped a dagger, which can be used to throw or do a melee attack. The character is within throwing range of an enemy, but not melee reach. The player is given an action option to throw, but not to melee attack. The melee action option is hidden unless the player first moves within attack range, similar to Fire Emblem if you've ever played that. Actions the player has can be reviewed on a sheet view.

What I'm thinking of doing: On turn begin, I take all the actions that the character HAS and show all of them. Actions that the character CANNOT DO, are greyed out/disabled, but you can still see them in the actions menu.

Which do you think is better? Or do can you think of a third better option?