BEST D-Pads for Top View games on Mobile.

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by noahbwilson, Dec 14, 2016.

1. noahbwilson

Indie Author

I have 3 games that all have 3 different D-pads and I kinda hate them all.

One game is 4-way. Obviously limiting.
    One game is 8-way, but the game tends to favor diagonals for reasons I don't get.
    One game is 360-degrees but has a 'locking mechanism' to zero-in on 4-way (think of it as rounding to a straight line).

Plus, any thoughts on how to deal with the surface area for UP and RIGHT (my pad is on the bottom left) being obviously bigger than DOWN or LEFT (because you're in that corner)?

I'm deving an assortment of top-view games in 2017. I want do develop a comfy D-pad for iPhone games.