'Ben There, Dan That!' and 'Cruxade'

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by thezombiecow, Jul 18, 2008.

1. thezombiecow

thezombiecow New Member

I've shifted everything I do into Zombie Cow Studios, since I've released two new games that aren't Gibbage-related.

Ben There, Dan That! is a freeware comedy adventure game written in AGS. It's a bit funny, and people are already writing lots of nice things about it on The Internet so it's probably worth a download especially given that it's FREE.

I've also soft-launched Cruxade, a Lumines-alike block dropping puzzle game I wrote to learn the basics of XNA. That's probably more up the street of quite a lot of you here. It's a soft-launch because there might still be some issues. If anyone wants a review copy or what-have-you, drop me a line via the website.

Ooh, and to celebrate the fact that I'm got a proper studio and everything, and also obviously because I haven't sold a copy in a few months, I've dropped the price of Gibbage to a lowly £3, which is less than six 'bucks', whatever they are.

Have a play, and let me know what you think.

Cheers,

d

Screenshots below - I'll leave it to you to work out which game is the adventure, and which is the block-dropper:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

#1 thezombiecow, Jul 18, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  2. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

the top ones are the adventure game. what do I win???!!!!!!!!!

3. thezombiecow

thezombiecow New Member

A copy of Ben There, Dan That!, obviously.

4. thezombiecow

thezombiecow New Member

There's a four-page 'making of Ben There, Dan That!' article in the latest issue of PCZone. If any UK Indies are passing a WHSmiths it's worth a look... ;)

It's the October one, which has STALKER: clear sky on the front. Out tomorrow, I think.

5. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

you are kidding right? four page? I'm going to have to check now damn you!

6. bbjones

bbjones New Member

so far my experience has been poor every step of the way

read youy post
    link to your site
    no obvious way to download anything
    site takes forever to load
    everyting I think that means "download game" turns into more loading screens

a word of advice

stop it with the facy website after the first page

I could care less about how "neat-o" your site is after the first page and really all I care about is getting what I want as fast as possible and getting away from your site

perhaps I'd feel different if your website actually responded well and didn't stick me in loading screens every click

cheers

EDIT:

Finally found a download link

Main loading delays were only to load larger samples of your screenshots - VERY bad idea, just link to the image in a new window and stop all the fancy client script nonsense, total waste of my/your customer's time

installed game but popcorn was ready, will check it out later

cheers

#6 bbjones, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  7. JGOware

Indie Author

$19.95 for Crux seems a bit high compared to the typical games on BigFish, etc.

8. princec

Indie Author

Unless Dan gets a whole load of other feedback saying the same I don't think this is generally accurate advice.

Site loads quickly here, had a download going after two clicks and about 30 seconds. "Ooh Ben There Done That screenshot, click, Download now, click!" That was all I had to do.

Cas :)

9. Nexic

Indie Author

Waited about 8 seconds for the first page to load, but was fine after that. Nothing 'fancy pants' that I could see, just a normal html site.

10. bbjones

bbjones New Member

I tried again and can certainly get to the d/l link right away, not sure why it seemed so elusive my first time in.

I'm still finding it overall a slow site. lots of ~100kb images loading up all over.

The main "fancy pants" thing irritating me are the image pop ups.

Here is the process:
    - Click an image
    - Image load grinds away for a few seconds (~200kb images) and finally loads an image that is approximately double the size of the thumbnail I clicked on in the first place.
    - Nothing else to do but close

That is quite an ordeal to view a blow up of an image that isn't all that blown up.

Perhaps all my issues would go away if you cut your file sizes down to speed everything up? That or I just shut up :)

Hope to try out the game later tonight.

EDIT: Not to be harping about your website but this other thread discusses the ues of the image loader feature you have (that I dislike).

http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?t=14182

Cheers

#10 bbjones, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  11. bbjones

bbjones New Member

Ok.. downloaded and tried it out...

had problems and don't like it so far...

got a Midi error message when first running it

so no sound...booo

clicked around for a while... picked up a lighter (smoking is bad. why do you need a lighter?), couldn't figure out how to get buddy across the rope.... buddy is dead, totem pole is dead, nothing I seem to have works...

yes.. I'm useless when I'm trying to be a typical end user...I failed :(

also technically:
    - I'm running widescreen at 1680 and your images are very pixelated, and the text i apprently have to read isn't strong on contrast (so is hard to read).

EDIT: and not to mention, when I deciced I don`t want to play anymore, I hit escape but nothing happens... I end up using task manager to close the app.

#11 bbjones, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  12. thezombiecow

thezombiecow New Member

13. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

Sadly, most people's response to this question would be "No!"

People are used to having tutorials these days, and they hate to read, unfortunately. I knew that was the case before I got into game making, but now I realize just how bad it is. My alpha testers, who are extremely intelligent people, all of them, have sent me a lot of feedback that shows that they didn't even read the email which contained the link to the game, let alone the in-game help text... getting them to read a separate help document would clearly have been impossible.

And remember, these are intelligent people who have an interest in helping me polish up my game. I can only assume that the average end user is even less reading-inclined.

14. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

I don't play games, can't be arsed - have not got the time.

I LOVE THIS GAME!!! Your humour is right up my street - I can't put it down. Kinda got lost when I got the "dead hand" to grab stuff but I'm sure I'll sort it soon. I WILL sort it!

I wanna come to your house and watch Magnum PI :)

15. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

AND!!! The titles are soooo well timed.. Congrats to all - I'm gonna have to donate.

16. thezombiecow

thezombiecow New Member

See that's the response we're after ;)

Magnum p.i and beers round ours!

17. amaranth

Original Member

Oooo, adventure games... my favorite!!!

18. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

Interesting problem.. This game will not run on my Vista laptop if the power is unplugged and running on battery. I've tried and tested all power options and nothing helps (apart from pluggin in again).

Tim.

19. thezombiecow

thezombiecow New Member

The computer you're running needs to be connected to the National Grid as part of the Master Plan.

Hope that helps.

d

seriously: eh? really? weirdest bug ever. I suspect it's AGS, and not something I can do 'my end' :(

20. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

Tis ok, I pluggin in and now I've completed the game! Great work! :)