beginner game engine

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by EzEfoSurE, Aug 7, 2004.

1. EzEfoSurE

Original Member

What is a great engine for someone who has NO experiance what so ever?
    I am planning on making independent video agems of my own with some of my friends, but i want a user friendly interface to make sur ethey stay as deveoted as I am. I tried blender, but it is confusing every now and then. I started to use it, but my friends got discouraged the first day. I was told that blender was a great all in one application to use, but apparently, it doesnt seem to be so.
    Once again, we have no experiance what so ever. We just want to practice. The first game doesntr have to be of great quality, we dont plan on selling the first game. We juss want to gain experiance so we can move on to greater games later. i only know BASIC and im the only one out of the group tht really knows any type of programming (a little of c++ and visual basic.. but not enough to do anything with it)
    Thanx for you feedback in advance

2. robleong

Indie Author

3. Sunshine

Original Member

I realize this probably won't help you at all. But the first engine I developed was one for making MUD games [which are text only]. While kinda boring it does have a fast completion time.

This helped me understand C++ object oriented design without having to worry about graphics api's, sounds and etc. Also it gave me a good knowledge of the MFC api, which I used to make the 'editor' for the rooms.

It also tought me, (through disasterous consequences), that the things my comp sci teachers preached were all too true. Planning and Paper Algorithms are a 'necesity' for serious design!

Although I cannot spell 'nececity' It it still true!!

4. EzEfoSurE

Original Member

???

i cant sign in to blitz
    how do i set up a user name with it?

5. robleong

Indie Author

Which website are you talking about?

In the case of www.blitzbasic.com, you should be able to access the website but can only sign in fully if you have a valid Blitz User ID which you get by purchasing Blitz.

As for www.blitzcoder.com, the User Control Panel login is only temporary - the website is down, but try it again in a few days. It is a very friendly community! ;)

6. KNau

Original Member

I second that Blitz recommendation (3D, not Blitz Plus) - it's fast to learn, stable and easy to use. Probably the fastest route to go from having no experience to having a game completed and ready for sale. I love it!

DBPro is an alternative that has Direct X 9 features but is much, much less stable and the language is needlessly verbose (even for BASIC).

7. GhostRik

Original Member

You might want to look at 3DRad, at www.3drad.com. There's a an unlimited-time demo version (version 3, the current version is 5.2) that comes with step-by-step HTML tutorials that show you the basics of making a 3D game without requiring programming or modelling.

8. EzEfoSurE

Original Member

I didnt see the demo you were talkin about on rad3d.. but i was also wondering if any of these engines were free? I already have blender and fly3D Sdk.. so i was wondering if there were any easier engines. Since i already have two engines, IM not exactly willing to pay money for any additional engines at the moment. I juss want to learn and change my no experiance to SOME experiance and a game as soon as possible.

9. Martin Flegel

Original Member

FlegelX 2D game engine

Hi,

I'd suggest my (binary version for free) game-engine. Though, it is a
    Delphi game-engine. Delphi is a easy to learn, but even if you want to code in another language, I'd suggest download the trial version and read the documentation, which contains 2D game conecpts and explanation.
    You will need that first before making a game anyway, especially when you have no experience yet.

The URL is:
    http://get.to/flegelx
    (please ignore the poor web design, the site was made in 1 day ;-) )

Good luck,
    Martin

10. Sean Doherty

Original Member

Do you know your site tries to install GAIN?

11. EzEfoSurE

Original Member

??

lol.. u guys probably think im too young, stupid, ignorant, and inexperianced by now.. but the truth is, its true. Wat in the world ia gain?

12. Sean Doherty

Original Member

My opinion a Virus? From the following URL:

www.gainpublishing.com

13. GhostRik

Original Member

It's called "3D Rad Free" and information is here:

http://www.3drad.com/featlit.htm

and the download page is here:

http://www.3drad.com/dloadfre.htm

The only reason you would have to pay money with 3D Rad is if you want to create a stand-alone executable to sell, but it doesn't sound like you're there yet. Upgrading the "Free" version to the "Lite" version (which compiles to executables and screen savers but is otherwise identical) is only $19.