Beetle Bomp : Beta + Screenshots

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by svero, Mar 29, 2005.

1. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Im running a geoforce fx as well. All i can say is check to ensure you're using the latest drivers. What exactly is it doing wrong?

2. dima

Original Member

I thought all hardware used alpha instead of colorkeying? even if you load a texture with colorkey, it justs sets those color pixels to 0 alpha. So the glitchy effect is most likely the filtering issue, it's difficult to track because it only comes up on some drivers, and not all. To fix this for sure, you can disable linear filtering for all your graphics that are drawn texel to pixel, with no stretching or shrinking. That fixes the problem for sure, i've ran numerous amout of times into this issue with filtering, no way around it other than disabling the filter.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about compressing the files on disk any more, or trying to save some 1 meg in the total download file. I would worry more about the video memory used... I wanna play the game too, but unfortunately I cant. maybe you should just try using the managed pool instead of forcing everything into video memory, or try to reduce the memory usage .. somehow ... but I think by using managed pool you will let the game run on any 16 meg cards without changing anything, directX takes care of that for you automatically, no reason to force everything into video mem.

thanks

3. tolik

Original Member

Even more recent drivers came out like half a month ago but I'm not yet ready for update and I see no reason to do it.

I see flickering of the screen with white horizontal tall lines (and sometimes other pictures) on all the menu transitions. Looks like framebuffer glitches, but it's D3D so it looks a bit weird. I've tried to make screenshot, but the glitches aren't on screenshot. Happens only in fullscreen mode, though.

UPDATE: Sorry, my computer wasn't rebooted for several weeks and I see Clash'N Slash has the same problem so it's really my problem.

#83 tolik, Mar 30, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  4. svero

>I thought all hardware used alpha instead of colorkeying?

It does. The color key is ONLY in the image. Its not an actual color key like in directdraw. What the engine does is it uses the color key color to generate an alpha map on the fly when the file is loaded.

- S

5. princec

Indie Author

What problems would those be? (Notes dual CPU configuration)

Cas :)

6. Fantus

Original Member

Finally played it, been a bit busy... Haven't read everything so I might sum up something that already passed the thread.

I think it's a fun game, it will probably sell well. Nice and clear animations, and terrific backgrounds. But the title screen may well be from another game, it's not suiting I think. I'm not to keen about the font either, but consider these minor flaws. Maybe even personal taste.

About the sound, the level starts with an earth-shaking low tone that my sound system can produce very well. It's one of those tones that makes the fizz of your soda go away.

There is something about the gameplay too. In levels where the bugs walk more vertical than horizontal, it can be hard to get the poison ball where you want to. I believe the ball prefers to pop between the line on the left of the ball that you aimed for.

That's it. And again, good game!

7. dima

Original Member

I highly suggest NOT doing it this way, and just storing the alpha channel with the image. PNGs do that perfectly, and you can have semy alpha, and anti-aliased effect of aplha. So unless you pick a color, then do some kind of a filter on the alpha channel to make it smooth, I would just use PNG with alpha already baked into it.

I'm not sure why you would use a color to pick alpha in the first place, but I wouldn't worry about the extra disk space, and PNG files have the best quality image with alpha. In photoshop it's a snap to include the alpha channel with PNG, or you could do what PopCaps do, and store a separate alpha image for your graphics. The quality of smooth alpha sure beats picking a single color to use for alpha.

8. svero

Well the color key functionality is a throwback to the old 2d code. We just kept the interface there. It should work. The video card manufacturer is way wrong on this one. Alpha 0 means not seen. Dumbasses. So much for separating interface from implementation.

The engine already supports the other file methods you mentioned, but i have trouble saving png with alpha in paint shop pro. Does it not support it? Anyone know?

9. Raptisoft

Indie Author

It supports it... but you have to click the little optimize button. Pretty maddening.

10. dima

Original Member

Havent used PS(PaintShop), but I know for sure that PS(PhoshoShop) does it for sure, and I know that some people have problems doing this in photoshop as well, but I figured it out :),

photoshop directions: (for some reason this is very confisung, but the only way I know how to do it, if anyone knows better, please let me know)

when you have an image, put it on a layer, not the backgound. Delete the background, so you just have one layer with your image. click the Layer Menu->Add Layer Mask->Reveal All. When that's done, you will see a little mask thingie on your layer, click Channels Tab, there you see the RGB, red, green, and blue channels, under that you see the layer mask channel. Click the eye, to make layer mask visible, then unclick all the other channels, so the only one that's visible is the layer mask. THEN, you can paste your alpha image to the channel, or draw whatever you want in that channel, it will be your true alpha for that layer. When you pasted the alpha image, click back on the original layer, and it should be properly transparent. Then, just save to PNG, and it's done.

This is a bit confusing, and I had to figure it all out bymyself, but it works :) If you cant for some reason combine alpha in your PNGs, just save the alpha channel as a separate GIF (256colors), and load that into the alpha channel of your textures. Definitely beats using a single color for alpha (not recommended at all actually).

#90 dima, Mar 30, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  11. princec

Indie Author

What's wrong with just saving them as 32bit RGBA PNGS?

Cas :)

12. lakibuk

Indie Author

Where's the centipede? I think one introductory message window mentioned a centipede. But i never saw one.

13. tolik

Original Member

I've got plenty of them, lakibuk :p

14. Sirrus

Original Member

Nice game!
    Great polish...

Hopefully it does well even against Luxor/Zuma.

I would suggest polishing up the main menu screen though - it isn't near as bright as the rest of the game.

15. svero

They come in randomly on selected levels where it makes more sense for them to be around. Just luck of the draw. They're more infrequent than the butterflies and bees etc...

- Steve

16. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Is this a deliberate design decision?

Perhaps it's a good thing to have the game play out differently each time. Or perhaps it gives a better sense of structure to impose more rules... like having the centipede turn up randomly but exactly twice on a certain level etc.

I can't answer that (have you fixed that upload yet?) - I'm just wondering.

17. svero

I was deliberate, but the percentages are not worked out so that on average i am gettting what i want. But one of the things on my todo list is to remove some of this randomness as I think it will in fact make the game better. A lot of the seeming randomness is not that random. For instance the line of bugs has a parameter that adjusts how many runs of the same color you get and so on.

18. svero

Oh and yes.. the upload is all working good now.

19. Sirrus

Original Member

When you divide up a stream of bugs with poison, oftentimes the front end moves forward. I think Zuma was like this as well but I am not sure.

This is very confusing to me...
    Why does the line move forward when I just knocked out a bunch of bugs in the middle...shouldn't it in fact reverse so I am in less danger?
    Perhaps I am missing something...

20. svero

>When you divide up a stream of bugs with poison, oftentimes the front end
    >moves forward. I think Zuma was like this as well but I am not sure.

It was. Thats because the back items push forward the front items.

>This is very confusing to me...
    >Why does the line move forward when I just knocked out a bunch of bugs in
    >the middle...shouldn't it in fact reverse so I am in less danger?
    >Perhaps I am missing something...

It will collapse if you get a combo. The rules of how a chain collapses fall out from Puzz Loop, the original game that led to zuma etc... Basically how it SHOULD work if there are no errors is...

1) If you get a line of bugs in a shot and they vanish AND the bugs or balls on either side of the line match colors then the chain will fall back to merge and IF there are more than 3 in the merge they will be eliminated again and lead to successively higher combos.
    2) If you have a gap and you place a ball on either end of the gap that creates matching colors the chain will merge but you cant eliminate bugs doing this. Only merge
    3) With fireballs and bombs its up in the air since there are none in te other games. Zuma has bombs in the lineup (not fired) and i forget how they behave in terms of collapses and matches. I think they may behave like regular eliminations. I chose not to collapse in that case. I may change it for reasons of consistency.

- S