Beetle Bomp : Beta + Screenshots

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by svero, Mar 29, 2005.

1. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

WTF?! This kind of thing I guess is why some people still favor the death penalty for certain crimes. Who the hell blends in a 0 alpha pixel?! thats the whole point of 0 alpha.. it doesnt show! Well.. at least I know why now. Question is.. how to use a color key that is close enough to the edge pixels that this doesnt show up. Maybe it doesnt matter since whoever is responsible for this linear filter disaster will likely be going out of business shortly.

2. Dominique Biesmans

Indie Author

Why use color keying at all? If you mask out the invisible part with an alpha channel, this shouldn't happen.

3. svero

There is no true color keying being done. It's all alpha masking. My understanding of what john said is that even though I apply an alpha mask with 0 where the "do not show this color" pixels are.. that those pixels are shown anyway.

4. Raptisoft

Indie Author

Yeah, it'll blend in the rgb when doing this filtering regardless of alpha. You just need to make sure the rgb of your 0 alpha pixels matches the nearby ones, and it won't happen.

By way of example, here's one of the graphics from my next one, the rgb and alpha version. Notice the weird white squares? Those are to prevent a thin black outline where the graphic is bordered in white.

Edit: To clarify, they're not being "shown." They're just getting mixed with the nearest pixel that HAS alpha for the bilinear filtering.

So, say you have this rgb/alpha arrangement...

GRRRG (G=Green, R=Red)

When drawn using bilinear, over a black background you get:
    BYRYB (B=Black, Y=Yellow, R=Red)

(Roughly)

Attached Files:

#64 Raptisoft, Mar 30, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  5. NuriumGames

Original Member

Great game. I've been playing till expired (nice thing as I have lots of work :eek: ) in a row, lost a few lives but had some (think 2) when it expired don't remember what level was.

Also played (and liked) Zuma, Zzed and Luxor.

Difficulty level. I think you should add difficulty settings, this has been very valuable (and appreciated) for BreakQuest. For me the difficulty ramps a bit too fast. For easy difficulty settings I think you could just tweak the beetles speed and number (till 'All bugs out').

Pointer. I like the idea of pointer changing the color to reflect current ball, but it is too transparent and IMHO unusable. Instead of coloring the circle area, you could color the white (were they white?) circles, maybe even the inner circles for the current one and the outer for the next color.

Power ups: Great but not very noticeable.

Jewels: I love your approach (kick them out of the line). My only quirk here is that as they are sometimes colored it can be confusing. Maybe you could make all them White (maybe not).

Right mouse button: I prefer the idea of discarding balls instead of switching but I do not want to discard a blue to get another blue (even if there was a blue in the queue).

Also suggested by someone else, no red bullet if no red beetles in the screen.

Player should be able to move the launcher a bit off the screen to allow more cornered shots.

Hole Bonus: Think a 'hole bonus' like Zuma would be great, maybe a bit hard to code ;)

Stickiness: Zuma and Luxor balls are more sticky (it is harder to pass a ball thought a hole) I prefer your approach.

Main menu: I think the main menu screen does not reflect the quality of the rest of the game, someone said that you could make another background and a special beetles path for the main menu, I second that.

Think this game will sell very well :D , really liked it.

6. svero

>Pointer. I like the idea of pointer changing the color to reflect current ball,
    >but it is too transparent and IMHO unusable.

Yes well.. originally I used a solid color pointer, but what happens is that the pointer doesnt show up very nicely when it's too colored. Maybe there's yet a 3rd design that accomplishes both goals.

> Power ups: Great but not very noticeable.

That version you tried is broken. Missing all kinds of effects. Still trying to get a fix up for that.

>Jewels: I love your approach (kick them out of the line). My only quirk here
    >is that as they are sometimes colored it can be confusing. Maybe you could
    >make all them White (maybe not).

I could but they wouldnt be very attractive. It is a shame that they can match the coloring a little, but I think it works mostly.

>Also suggested by someone else, no red bullet if no red beetles in the
    >screen.

Yeah clearly I have to do this

>Player should be able to move the launcher a bit off the screen to allow
    >more cornered shots.

Pretty easy. I'll add it.

>Hole Bonus: Think a 'hole bonus' like Zuma would be great, maybe a bit hard
    >to code ;)

Hmm.. I really didnt want to just wholesale rip every element of zuma right into my game even if they are good ideas. Someone else mentioned the chain bonus. Maybe I'm being too fickle? It just seems wrong to me.

>Main menu: I think the main menu screen does not reflect the quality of the
    >rest of the game, someone said that you could make another background
    >and a special beetles path for the main menu, I second that.

Thats the luxor title screen. I'm not sure what i'll do but I guess I'll replace it with something since nobody seems to much like it.

- S

7. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

Heck, does it really change its color? I didn't notice it! And now that I think about it, it would be really useful, I hate looking down to the 'poison gun' to see what I'm going to fire.

8. svero

I think the concept of a colored cursor is good. It's just the design of the cursor image that's really tough. If i make it too colored.. ie you can really see the color, then it blends with backgrounds.

9. Raptisoft

Indie Author

I too think you should do something about this. Just not sure what... maybe give them some kind of pulsing outline or whatnot, something to distinguish them from beetles? I have fired a few balls in cases where I thought I was making a match, but it was just a gem.

Or maybe you should just make the gems act as a match-- either pop them, or knock them out.

Why not just a white cursor with a small ball embedded in the middle of it that indicates the current color?

10. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Coloured with a nice fat black outline?

11. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

One thing that really bothered me was that when I knock out a powerup (gem) that the correct match-3 combo doesn't take place! For instance, there is a powerup followed by two red beetles... I knock the powerup out with a red ball, but the 3 reds that are now in order don't dissappear. So its like I'm sacrificing a combo to get a powerup... why can't I have both?!

12. svero

Actually they should. I rewrote the color matching code recently so I my have introduced some bugs which leads to some of the confusion people are having.

13. ggambett

Hey, can I play the "repackage the resources to fit in 50% space" game emuLynx is playing? Where do I apply for the unpacker? Or writing the resource extractor is part of the game?

14. svero

I donno how he unpacked those files. He's a little scary :) -- Actually the file is pretty basic.. Nothing too fancy. But did he really write an unpacker? Some people got the zip file which isnt packed. Actually the packing is the root of all the problems with the install build. The packed file code doesnt handle path filenames the exact same way so it cant find some files is the problem.

15. 3dben

Original Member

Svero,

Try turning off filtering when you render those textures that are showing bleeding.. Also, make sure you create those textures without mip maps.

mpD3DDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_MINFILTER, D3DTEXF_POINT );
    mpD3DDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_MAGFILTER, D3DTEXF_POINT );
    mpD3DDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_MIPFILTER, D3DTEXF_NONE );

-=ben

16. tolik

Original Member

There are plenty of good "extractor" tools out there. If you are using basic file formats, there are hundreds of them. If you want to demultiplex funky PS2 PSS MPEG2 streams, you would need more advanced ones ;) I've used my favorite one called "Extractor" (WOW, WHAT A NAME! :) ). I don't have an idea where I've got it and it's not installed here, I'll be able to check the URL when I'll be at home (PM me if you are really interested).

Then I've "simply" analyzed all of the graphics with all knowledge I possess.

Plus, I've ran PNG optimization suit of this guy:
    http://www.aaltonen.us/archive/2004/01/24/tip-image-optimization-png/

Alltogether it ended up as a huge possibility to optimize stuff.

If you want me to look at your game, drop me a PM, I'll be able to check it out :)

17. ggambett

Not that scary... 5 minutes, 52 lines of code :)

I'll report my repackaging results soon ;)

18. tolik

Original Member

It's PNG-only package which I engaged at the very end.

I was looking at other images personally checking if they are worth optimizing and repacking biggest files different compression ratio (even JPGs).
    Plus I've found some dupes :)

19. tolik

Original Member

Svero, I've just installed it on my work machine and it has sort of VSync problems... Very strange!

Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service Pack 4
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700
    Display Memory: 128.0 MB
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6693 (English)
    Description: C-Media Wave Device (ouch, that sucks)

20. svero

The dupes were a mistake. Some of the compression is definitely not optimal, but im not even happy with the quality of some of the images there now.