Beetle Bomp : Beta + Screenshots

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by svero, Mar 29, 2005.

1. dima

Original Member

Does older hardware, like my 16 meg, support texture compression? Or is it a pure DX feature, that's not hardware dependant? Why not just let it run on 16 meg hardware and let DirectX use system ram for themissing space. Or do you force everything loaded into the video memory and not use managed_pool?

2. Mark Fassett

Moderator Indie Author

There's one problem that pretty much makes it impossible for me to play it (due to a slight issue with color blindness). The yellow and green poison pills are nearly impossible for me to tell apart quickly. To me, unless I really concentrate on them, they look identical. It would be best if there was something different about them other than just the color.

3. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Everyone who asked should have links now. If you dont I missed you so pm me again. Thanks.

- S

4. svero

Hmm.. i just noticed some particle effects are missing from the build somehow. There should be more flash when bugs die and when the end of level panel numbers appear.

Als FYI : the save feature will change to do a proper save game.

5. svero

Here's the missing files if anyone wants to add them. They need to go in a subdir from your install dir... You'll need to create the dirs

\pictures\fx\( 2 files go here)

It will just add a little flash

Attached Files:

6. svero

Well its 4:30 am here so Im going to hit the hay.

If you want a link you can PM dan macdonald or ill get it to you when i wake up tomorrow. :)

- S

7. jpantuso

Original Member

Initial impressions:

Very pretty shine on the bugs and poison pills. Came out great.

Going back to an earlier thread, you don't have any worries with it being too similar to other games in this genre. Some very cool ideas and good twists. The flying bugs fit perfectly, the gems are great too.

Seems a little hard, anyone else find that or do I just suck?

8. svero

People do seem to find it a tad hard. Its tough for me to tell because my girlfriend no longer dies. I had her test it today and she had 12 guns left over after going through all the levels without dying.

I wonder about skill levels... im loathe to add them, and yet.. maybe i should. Not because they're hard to add, but i find it hurts the overall tweaking of the game.

9. Bmc

Bmc New Member

I've played it and it's a good game. Definetly should be able to hold it's own againt Luxor.

Some minor things I felt could be better. This is only feedback regarding the first level. As far I know it may be the only level that my feedback applies to. I'm gonna play the rest of the game soon.

1) The track the beetles follow could be made more apparent. I can see it, but it's pretty faint.

2) It could be made more obvious where you have to keep the beetles from getting to.

3) I can see the sound that plays when you remove beetles from the line get annoying. It's fairly high pitched. It would also be nice to have an animation. Personally, I think it would be cool if the went splat!

But I have to say I love the beetles. So much more better then just balls.

I'm going to play some more now.

10. MadSage

Original Member

svero: It sounds like you're loading all of the textures for your game into video memory. From your screenshots, I would say there are much less than 16Mb of textures on screen at any time. If I remember correctly, you should simply create your textures in the managed pool instead. The driver will then copy the textures to video memory as needed. This should fix the ALT-TAB font problem too - I'm assuming the font gets corrupted.

11. svero

The font thing is just a known thing I didnt do. Mostly all that stuff is handled by my engine, but the font class is a new one and I didnt get around to adding a RestoreHandler for it. Just not enough time... I have to leave town for a few days and I wanted to get something out before I left so I could get some feedback while I was away.

12. svero

1 and 2 are both legit gripes, but im not sure there's much I Can do about them. Its part of being in a natural setting. If I make a very obvious path it wont look good. I cant do as much as you can on an abstract play board in that respect.

For 3 you're missing that particle effect, but there actually is a very quick animation of the bugs flipping onto their backs.

13. Bmc

Bmc New Member

Ok. I've played some more.

I think the difficulty is pretty good. I made it to pipeworks before losing a life ... but it also wasn't a piece of cake to get there which was good. It was like I was on the verge on losing then I'd get a power up and I'd get in the clear. Very exciting to play :)

The path really just needs to be a little bit darker. You could always make it so a snail follows the path instead of the golden beetle and leaves a trail of slime. Or maybe just make it a tad bit darker then it is.

For the second thing, maybe just have like a warning overlay appear over the end point (like Warning then one of those signs with the circle slash over a beetle under it) at the start of a level, and whenever the beetles get near the endpoint.

14. tolik

Original Member

1) Music stops when you enter sub menus of the main menu.
    2) Web button doesn't work for me - default web client = Opera.
    3) Not very clear how to switch between different profiles. Player needs to click in the specific black box... Also, player needs to use keyboard here though he has no indications of that. I could create all 3 profiles with the same name and even profile "SPACE".

4) QUIT/DELETE as destructive actions doesn't have confirmations.
    5) First "WELCOME" screen has "SAVE" button which immediately throws out onto main screen.

6) Clicking "NEXT" in first "WELCOME" tutorial is unresponsive - mouse locks for couple of seconds.
    I guess "PREVIOUS" button would come handy. Since I accidentaly double clicked on NEXT because of the unresponsive thingine.

7) You can't exit the game except "ESC" button. I guess SPACE would be a nice button for PAUSE. And I also guess that keyboard controls in such game would work very and very fine.

And when you exit from there, you get to the WELCOME screen and there's no way to exit from there except pushing unobvious "SAVE".

And BTW, you've got a weird viewpoint of a weird oldskool square 2 button mouse.

8) I guess I would want an option to skip tutorial.

9) Possibility to hold a button during GET READY animation to skip it/increase speed would be nice.

10) Bug removal sound is choppy.

11) It would be nice not to give player colors which already passed out from the game.

12) It would be nice to give player ability to move spitting machine exactly HALF away from screen. Check out some arkanoid games where you could move exactly HAVE a paddle for more precise control. That way, in the first level, I would be able to shoot very left side of the path.

13) Save for some reason on the 2nd level didn't work.

14) Combo effects, especially perfect, aren't very spectacular but you said you've missed some of them.

15) Beetle killing animation is just "disappear". It would be cool to have at least zoom-rotation effect.

16) Music shouldn't stop on menus. Having it consistent would greatly improve theme.
    I like music.

17) Powerups are too instant. You need to have some kind of more massive particle to notice that you've got one.

18) Again, inability to shoot at the very sides screwed me on the third level. I think having less colors at the beginning would improve game play a bit. It gets too hard quite fast.

19) Some of the stop bonuses are too instant. Animations stop unexpectedly and it doesn't look exciting, I would expect bugs to slow down and stop by making one leg movement.

20) Slowdown rigth atm when DING-DING-DING sound happens after "ALL BUGS OUT".

21) Fireball doesn't kill centipede?!?

22) Jewels are beatifull.

23) GETREADY or GET READY?

24) DISGARD or DISCARD?

25) Strange map animation. I was on level 3 (I think) and after completion of two levels in a row I had animation from "between docks and mill" to "bones".

26) There's no bonus for removing stuff in a row. Like 3 = 30, 3 = 40, 3 = 50...

27) Bomb animation is quite dull :(

28) START A NEW GAME OR CONTINUE PREVIOUS GAME?
    CONTINUE
    NEW

These short words are kinda confusing...

That's it for now, I'm on Round 2.

I have 20' WideScreen LCD and BIG ICONS. Your game doesn't have that big icon and looks a bit blurred.

Also, Zuma allows to spit the ball when all the balls haven't rolled out completely yet. You get a chance to shoot one second before speedy respawn animation stops. I found this missing part annoying in Luxor and here too. Instead of making skip for this animation, it would be cool to shoot before the animation ends.

#34 tolik, Mar 29, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  15. Raptisoft

Indie Author

Okay, Svero, played it a bit. I enjoyed it more than Luxor, basically because of the theme. I do like Luxor's "waves" of balls, but I much prefer bomping beetles.

My only complaint at this point is that the difficulty ramps up FAST. Way too fast-- I can't get past the first level of the "docks" no matter what I do.

I wouldn't put in skill levels, tho... just make the lower levels easier and the higher levels harder, and fewer bonus guns.

16. 3dben

Original Member

How many levels are you planning for the final?

-=ben

17. tolik

Original Member

I decompiled game resources and engaged infamous crazy batch PNG optimizer consisting of 4 tools. Let's see how much we could squeeze out of these PNGs. It'll work entire night, we'll see by morning.

Anyway, from what I see, your asset size could be greatly optimized - at least couple of megs.

I've tried more compression on bigger JPGs and they look crisper compared to smooth originals. I don't know if it's worse with crispy stuff...

Also, help/hint/tutorial lower level (that wooden part) could be separated from it's content (like mouse or centipedes etc).

And now, engage that sleepy part!

18. ggambett

I've been playing for a while. I like it overall, although it's not my favorite genre, so I don't have a lot of comments. It's very well done, although I liked the Zuma theme and especially music more.

Short comments - 1) Save should say Save & Exit, since it thrown me to the main menu. 2) It says "Disgard" in a pre-level screen - I guess you meant "Discard". 3) It gets too hard too early? I didn't lose a single life until the Beach level, where I lost all my lives. Twice.

Other than that, it's a nice game, I love the way bugs look :)

19. Midnight Synergy

Indie Author

Tried it. Very slick, well presented. The beetle animations are great, and it's definitely very easy to get into. I also liked the map screen (it's amazing how much of a draw to gameplay such a simple thing is! Must... make... it... to... bones...).

Two negative pieces of feedback would be the title screen (I like the idea of the bug following the mouse, but I'd use more than just 3 up/down levels for the head) and the music (not my style, got on my nerves very fast - maybe alternate music tracks between "worlds"?).

20. Ryan Clark

Indie Author

DISCLAIMER: I've played a lot of Zuma, and a fair amount of Luxor, so my comments are certainly going to be biased by that knowledge :)

First, I didn't find the difficulty hard at all. I played your beta for quite a long time (it eventually booted me out with that "This is a beta!" screen), and I didn't lose any lives unless I was purposefully messing around, testing various things. However, when I first started playing Zuma it seemed pretty tough to me... then something "clicked" and I became quite good at it. I think that there will be two kinds of players:

1. Players who just shoot every ball they get. as fast as they can
    2. Players who discard balls, and generally only shoot when a match will be made

When I first started playing zuma, it was hard because I would shoot everything as fast as I could. I thought I had to be quick, since it's a race against time, right? Not really. Making a 3-or-more match is by far preferable (even if you have to wait a bit) to simply matching up 2 balls, as matching 2 means you've actually ADDED a ball to the chain. Also, if you try to go quickly, you may miss. And a miss is usually very costly in terms of the time it will take you to correct.

I could go on about strategy and patience, but I think the thing I'm getting at is that you either need difficulty levels, or you need some kind of difficulty equalizer.

Luxor has what I would call an equalizer... not only does the movement slow down when you're about to die, but it also starts giving you the exact colours you need. Try it, and see. If you've got a green ball at the head of the line, Luxor will preferentially give you green balls to help you get out of the jam. Perhaps you should do something similar with Beetle Bomp? This method also has the added advantage of making players feel as though they've just escaped with their lives... it probably makes them think they're really good at the game, too :)

Ok, on to the issues I found:

1. The line doesn't "contract" properly after a powerup has been used. For example, the bomb. If you shoot it, and there happen to be yellow beetles on the left and right of the gap after the explosion, the line doesn't contract.

2. There are other instances in which the line doesn't contract, but I couldn't reproduce it reliably. Perhaps these first two issues are related. Or perhaps you simply didn't intend to have the line contract in the same way that Zuma does it.

3. As someone mentioned before, the game sometimes gives you balls of a colour when there are no similarly coloured beetles remaining on screen. This can be frustrating. Yes, you can just right-click to discard, but once or twice it gave me multiples of the same colour in a row!

4. Unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce this: In an early level, an insect came flying on to the screen just as I had been about to shoot a ball. I wanted to kill the insect, so I dragged the gun from the far left (where I was about to release) to the far right, and released the ball. For some reason the ball travelled horizontally back to the left, and joined the line where I had been! As I said, I couldn't reproduce this, but it may be important to note that the line was quite close to the bottom of the screen at the far-left spot where I had originally intended to release the ball.

That's all for now! A very fun game, svero. I too prefer the beetle theme to the luxor/zuma characterless balls. And the other insects certainly give the game a playful feel.