Beetle Bomp : Beta + Screenshots

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by svero, Mar 29, 2005.

1. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I'm ready with my first public beta of Beetle Bomp. Here are some new screenshots from the latest build...

http://www.twilightgames.com/betas/bshots/bshot1.jpg
    http://www.twilightgames.com/betas/bshots/bshot2.jpg
    http://www.twilightgames.com/betas/bshots/bshot3.jpg
    http://www.twilightgames.com/betas/bshots/bshot4.jpg
    http://www.twilightgames.com/betas/bshots/bshot5.jpg

I would like to keep the Beta restricted to this site so I won't link it directly in the thread. If you would like to try the beta just send me a private message on the board here and I'll respond with a link for you. Please post any feedback you have in the thread here though.

2. dima

Original Member

Does this game use accelerated graphics? is the engine made by the developer or is external library used? screenshots look nice, waiting for link to download ...

3. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Hey, I just noticed - are you using the Bogusflow font as well?

4. svero

Yes I am using bogusflow! Ha. I never realised it was the same font that you had in your game! Sorry about that. It's inadvertent. I actually use it only sparingly here and there. I could switch it out if you prefer.

- S

5. svero

Yes. It's 3d DX 8.0, but used to display 2d.

Im using my own code. No external libs other than some graphics format stuff and direct x

- S

6. svero

Got lots of PM's. Ill have that link to you guys shortly.

7. svero

Couple of notes about the beta...

Known bugs
    - alt tab font problem

Issues
    - just before putting this together im doing a bunch of image compression from the full quality images. If you notice any that seem too compressed or too dithered please let me know.

8. dima

Original Member

still waiting for the link ...

9. svero

Sorry... Its done, .. It's just slow net times here, so its taking a while for my partner to download, build, and upload the files.

Should have the link ready in an hour or two and I'll send it to everyone who asked.

10. dima

Original Member

I already have a problem running the game: at the loading screen I get an error:

Error Description:
    Out of Video Memory

Details:
    Game Version: .9.
    Build Number: N/A

Video driver: RADEON IGP 320M
    Graphics Engine: DirectX (v8)

Operating System information:
    Major version: 5
    Minor version: 1
    Build number: 2600
    Service Pack 1

Fault Location:

I have a 16meg radeon card, which runs Warcraft3 ... maybe some weird caps error? Im not sure if the game should just quit with this error message.

11. svero

The game requires 32MB of video memory. A 16MB card wont run it.

12. dima

Original Member

hmm, very strange indeed ...

are you loading all the graphics at once? maybe it would be worth only loading what's needed for a specific level, so lower end hardware can run it.

What happens if that error doesn't exit the game? doesn't DirectX substitute video ram with system ram in case there isn't enogh? Maybe if you didn't kick the game with this error, I could still run it ok?

32meg seems like a big requirement, how do games like War3 run on 16 megs?

13. svero

I'm very careful with mem requirements. I am only loading what's needed for any particular level. The problem is that that happens to be about 20-22mb of vram. I'm going to look into squeezing it under 16. Partly this beta is to determine how necessary that is. I would have thought most people nowdays have 32mb cards.

14. dima

Original Member

I'd say that most people do have 32meg +, but definitely not everyone :rolleyes:

I am on a laptop, which has an on-boad Radeon card, my PC at home, ofcourse has 256megs. I mostly play small games on my laptop though, but that doesn't mean that everyone else does. But you already know that the casual market is yet to catch up hardware wise to the rest of the gamers, so maybe fitting it into 16 megs isn't a bad idea. Why not let it run on a 16 meg card in the current state? it will be laggy, but at least it will run.

I looked at your image folder, and notices that all images are different sizes. You must be packing them all into textures at load time, which is impressive. I would just store them in textures to begin with and not go through the packing algos.

Looking forward to seeing the game on my laptop :)

15. svero

There are some size and packing savings but not enough to get me safely under 16 so it wasnt worth looking into. I think texture compression on the backgrounds and some other images might help. I'm going to look at it more closely for the sake of laptops.

16. Bmc

Bmc New Member

I never got the link. Sent a pm, interested in trying it out.

17. svero

The links are coming.. Its about 50% uploaded. Sorry for the delay. Found a bug of course and had to start over.

18. NuriumGames

Original Member

Same as Bmc here :)

-EDIT- I see ... You say you found a Bug in your game :D

19. svero

That is ACTUALLY confusing in coments and my todo list. Hey this doesnt sound like a bug? ohhhh a BUG BUG.. ahh yes.. and so on.

Mike B. Said he had the same sort of trouble with bugatron :)

20. Bmc

Bmc New Member

Sorry. I saw Dima got it and thought that the link must of been sent out already :)