Battalion: Head 2 Head Enters Open Beta

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by terin, Sep 12, 2004.

1. terin

Original Member

September 12, 2004 – (La Jolla, California) – Urban Squall (www.urbansquall.com) is pleased to announce their multiplayer turn-based strategy game, Battalion, is now in open beta and free to play! Battalion features a no-download flash design and free registration.

Battle your friends from around the world, capturing cities, attacking your enemy, and building new units. To win you must command the land, sea, and air, as you battle up to four live opponents online. There is a great variety of maps and units at your disposal. Each unit has a special strength and weakness, and each map provides endless strategy. In addition to the normal units, generals have special units at their disposal providing an additional element of strategy before the game even begins. You call the shots in the war to end all wars, Battalion: Head 2 Head!

Battalion is easy to learn and some games can be played in as little as 10 minutes. Visit www.urbansquall.com to join in the excitement of Battalion: Head 2 Head! We appreciate your feedback in the game’s bugs and features. Join the community today and help create a game you will love for days to come.

2. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

If you have a friend you can play with this game is an easy way to loose a few hours. I played it about 2 months ago, it was a lot of fun.

3. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

Hey Dan, did your artist for Katsu also work on this game? The art style looks similar.

4. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

Looks good & was fun to play.

Two suggestions:
    1) It would be nice to click units UNDER the chat screen (now I have to close the chat before I can click units) - or, it would be nice to minimize the chat screen so that still one comment could be seen
    2) The help texts (top screen buttons) show only certain amount of lines... rest of the hint/help text is missing

5. terin

Original Member

Noted..

Noted and Noted.

Battalion is currently one of my "Full Service" clients. Ill send that report over to the owner immediately.

Keep an eye on it and an eye on Void War to get a feel for what I can do with full service marketing.

PS: You don't need some friends to play against! We're growing now and you should be able to find someone online at just about any time (give it about 3 more weeks and I would almost promise it).

6. Dan MacDonald

Good eye Chris, he's also the artist for my soon to be released "Little Soldiers" title, needless to say I like working with the guy. ;)

7. Reactor

As an idea, how about some Advanced Wars credit somewhere on your webpage? I'm all for working off other people's ideas, but... that's a bit too close to make it look like your own, don't you think? Also, if you plan on charging for it, get ready to take on Nintendo.

#7 Reactor, Sep 16, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  8. Reactor

Sorry Joseph, I didn't realise you were the one who originally posted. One for their forums, maybe.

9. terin

Original Member

Advance Wars and Credit

Heh, dunno what that last post was about: You don't have to appologize for it :)

Credit to advance wars? Now, writing that would be ASKING nintendo to try and fire a cease and decist letter at us. Frankly, the lawyers involved say its pretty unlikely that they would and it is better to be re-active in this case than pro-active. The company has plans to change the game should nintendo send in the legal team.

From the moral standpoint: I would sooner credit Strategic Simulations Inc. than Advance Wars. Yeah, the game is rediculously similar to AW, but there are many advantages to be gained by toeing the line of copyright infringement. It is the owner's wish, after much discussion with me and his lawyer, to pursue the more dangerous "easier" path.

We'll see of course! The idea behind the game, as I alluded to, can't really be claimed by Advance Wars, its just one continuous innovation from the previous turn based war games of that genre. This makes modifying the game to avoid the wrath of Nintendo much easier, as the game simply has to change primarily cosmetic form (and a little gameplay elements).

Good post though, figured someone would bring it up.

10. EpicBoy

Original Member

Lawyers told you this? Are you sure they are actual, real life, lawyers?

11. Reactor

All I can say is, best of luck! ;)

12. terin

Original Member

Epic my man...

Well, Epic, in this case I would defer that reaction to the only lawyer who frequents this board (that I am aware of).

It doesn't shock me at all ;-) I'd like to hear his opinion. At anyrate, enough about that. I personally am not liable, as an agent I have done my duty to ensure my client is adequately informed of the possibilities and he has found guidance in someone who is far more credible than I am in the field.

:)