Bash Cas 2009

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by princec, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Acord

Acord New Member

And now I am going to remember you so I can badger you about Blood Frontier's site when we get into designing it. :D

Open source game projects are like the aggressive panhandlers of the gaming world. :)

2. Acord

Acord New Member

Here's an interesting idea: Take the online high score tracking and instead track and reward individual player improvement. Any time they beat their own high score, give them a cookie, so to speak.

3. princec

Indie Author

Well, that's one of the most concise and accurate deconstructions of our stuff I've yet seen! Very insightful and very useful.

It's got to be said we do recognise some of the problems with our current model, and a recent bit of learnin' about marketing and how to do it has also highlighted some areas that overlap here.

We too are not so convinced about online hiscores... or even hiscores generally. Hiscores are one of those old relics of a bygone arcade age, when sucking 10p coins into a slot was the aim of the game. Just like 3 lives and instant death have gone the way of the dodo, I think that hiscores may have had their day and we should focus on game design where achieving hiscores is no longer a primary objective. I believe that achievements are probably the new hiscores (strange though, we were putting them into Super Dudester about 4 years ago but never released it like that and then forgot about it).

We are indeed going to merge the shop and game pages and get that buy button next to the download button, especially after a few mixups from customers who accidentally went and bought Reflexive versions of our game. We are also going to spice up the marketing on the whole site and individual games. And finally we will most likely be ditching our affiliated games as they basically don't sell. Don't know why, but they bring in mere pocket money. Gravitron possibly because it is pointlessly cheap and punishingly hard in the first place (breaks a lot of our inhouse design rules) and Tribal Trouble because Oddlabs are now pushing TT2 which is all browser based (hope they don't suffer the Osborne effect while in beta here though).

The blog is set to get used a lot more - I've set a target of once per week to write about something - anything - related to what we do, or even what others are doing. I think we'll probably start reviewing games again because that's pretty good fun and we can bury affiliate links in the blog :)

We've not gotten an arcade pack together yet (ie. bundle deal) because I've not quite figured out exactly how to implement it yet but it's always been on the cards. I promise to try harder etc etc.

Applets are a bit of a problem. We've got a beta test applet for you to play here but I'd describe its delivery as "flakey" at best. A fair bit of work needs to go into making them good. Sun would indeed have these games on their front page -- if they knew what they were doing. Sun is a massive corporate behemoth. It's not so much that left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing but tentacle 340 doesn't know what pseudopod 9978 is currently throttling. I will hopefully be in a position to fix some of this stuff later in the year.

One last thing - we only use Java because a) it's easy b) I am ultralazy and c) we've invested a whole lot of time into Java already. I'm not super clever and fairly impatient when it comes to realising ideas so I just don't have the time or inclination to go learning a whole new platform now. I do Java for my day job, the games stuff is a lucky side that uses the knowledge I already have. Chance could have had me working in C# and D3D but it just didn't happen that way.

Cas :)

4. mpdeveloper_B

mpdeveloper_B New Member

If you think the reason you don't get sales is from using a portal, you could use Oscommerce. Just set it up for them to buy it and it sends them a link to download the game from using paypal.

Plenty of people pay using paypal because of sites like ebay and half.

5. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Does BMT Micro support bundles?

6. defanual

Original Member

Great thread this...

Yeah, same as others said really jmcginley, that was bookmarkable stuff right there and could be said for many us here on how to improve sales/traffic.

Thanks to you (and Cas and a few other posts) for posting/sharing thoughts/ideas even if it wasn't intended for the rest of us!:p

7. princec

Indie Author

I'm not sure... it's quite a complicated thing we want to do, really:

We automatically want to sell the customer the "bundle" if they choose all three games (and we want it to appear prominently that they're getting this discount);

We want to be able to stick up the details of the bundle in our BMT shop at the top of the order form ("Buy all three and get Ultratron free!") sort of thing;

We also want to advertise the bundle as a single product ID on our own site and for affiliates - but when the user buys this single product we've got to make it create three registration entries in our database.

Bit of a fiddle, see.

Cas :)

8. elias4444

elias4444 New Member

Doesn't sound complicated really. Just create a new "Product" on BMT and have it post to a script on your website that registers the user for all 3 products. The "Product" can be affiliated or whatever.

It just sounds like a couple of "If...then" statements in whatever webscripting engine you use.

Anyway, that's how I see it. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems pretty simple to do with BMT. :rolleyes:

9. JGOware

Indie Author

"I think we'll probably start reviewing games again because that's pretty good fun and we can bury affiliate links in the blog.."

Why take the chance of drawing a visitor away from your site? If you want to review games or sell affiliate games, why not just create another site?

10. JGOware

Indie Author

Exactly. Just add another product, which contains all 3. :)