Bash Cas 2009

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by princec, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Nexic

Indie Author

Right, but it still doesn't work if your product is uninteresting. People here seem to have the idea that you can sell a bowl of vommit if you spam enough blogs.

2. hippocoder

Indie Author

Soon my sweet, soon! Soon the evil all-dominating flash will tempt you. If you can live without the alt key, that is.

3. JGOware

Indie Author

I had the family and freinds thing going on today for the football games and during half time I started thinking about marketing. So I did a test on Cas's website. ;) I told my nephews, wife, and a friend to visit "puppygames.net" and give me their thoughts..

Nephews (kids) - Dissapointed there were no games featuring puppys.
    Wife - Dissapointed there were no "girly" games.
    Friend - Thought the retro goodness was cool, but didn't see the relation to the domain name.

Could be a reason why your downloads are so much lower compared to your visits. ?

edit: On google type in "puppy games", and yep..Cas's site is right up there.

4. princec

Indie Author

As it happens - we do have a puppy game planned, which is both girly and features puppies and fits the domain name ;)

Cas :)

5. JGOware

Indie Author

oh! well...never mind. :) :p

6. Grey Alien

Indie Author

So will you be able to shoot the puppies or are they cyborgs? Or maybe they just projectile poo everywhere like the animals in Castle Crashers?

7. elias4444

elias4444 New Member

Nah, I bet they explode. ;)

8. ChrisP

Indie Author

I bet they're psychic puppies with sinister puppy control powers. As you bite enemy puppies you gain puppy power points which allow you to forcibly bend other enemy puppies to your diabolical will. Your posse of possessed puppies proceeds to prey on the puppy population. At the end of each level you are confronted by the neighbourhood Big Dog.

9. Leon

Original Member

That makes a lot of sense... Nothing like going to CuteHappyFriendTimeGirlyGames.com and finding gory FPS to buy. ;)

10. princec

Indie Author

Actually that's not far off the truth :D

Cas :)

11. elias4444

elias4444 New Member

HA! I win!!!! :p

12. ChrisP

Indie Author

Awww. No lovin' for my awesome alliteration? :D

Seriously. Puppy-themed remake of Droid Assault? Win. You could call it Puppy Assault, and PETA would give you free publicity.

(OK, so that wasn't entirely serious.)

13. jmcginley

Original Member

I create websites for a living, and create games as a hobby. Eventually, I hope to create games for a living and have been thinking a LOT about how to do that (especially considering the recent explosion of free indie games). As a result, I believe I have some valuable feedback. I feel like I've gotten to know you (princec) based on your indie gamer postings over the last few years. They leave me with 3 distinct impressions:

1. You're a programmer at heart. You fully believe in the dream of Java and do your best to support it. You can't support other languages since they're inferior to Java or playing catch-up to where Java is. Learning another language is moving backwards.

2. You believe that your games should sell strictly based on their own merits. i.e. People should only buy "Titan Attacks" solely because they want the to play the best Space Invaders tribute ever. It's not that selling is beneath you, you simply don't want to pressure people into buying a game they may not want.

3. You will not release a game that does not meet your extremely high standards - even if it will sell well (and allow you to make a full time living at games). If the only way you could make a living creating games was releasing crap, you would exit the business.

Since you're unable to change these tenets, you need to connect with an audience that shares your beliefs (which will eventually lead to more sales). I don't think you're doing that. You, and not just your games, are the brand. Make people proud to own games made by you. Do people buy stuff from www.pvponline.com, www.penny-arcade.com and http://www.achewood.com solely due to the comics? Do people buy albums soley for the songs? How many people bought "Space Giraffe" just to support Jeff Minter? This thread makes me want to buy your games more than the stuff on your site. Suggestions (mostly site related since that's what I do for a living):

1. Your site, while clean and professional, comes across like a poor man's portal. Since you obviously don't want to be a real portal (which some have suggested), be yourself. Get rid of the games you didn't make, especially considering they make you very little money. Why dilute your brand if you're not getting paid? Turn your few games into a strength instead of a weakness. "I spent 6 years making 3 of the greatest reto games you'll ever play" should be mentioned somewhere - why isn't it?

2. Why does the front page say "More Games..."? Is that some kind of joke? You only sell 3 games (excluding 2 you don't care about). Why aren't these 3 games the focus of the entire site. "PuppyGames: 3 Refined Retro Games". Why do the Games page and Shop page have the same content? Replace them both with pme "Home" page that shows all 3 games in an amazing way (brilliant titles / screenshots / fonts). Do NOT simply list them like they're being pulled from a database.

3. Place the latest blog posting on the front page of your site (next to your 3 games). Update your blog/website on a REGULAR basis. Last year you updated your blog an appalling 6 times, while you posted regularily here. Why are you okay giving traffic to this site but not to newgrounds and kongregate? Llamasoft does a decent job of updating their blog, I suspect it drives traffic and sales.

4. Your site does not reflect you. Nothing on the site, including the blog postings, shows the personality constantly on display here. Your blog talks about the games you've released, and the awards they've won, but where are you? These forums have you in spades, your site does not. The blog should give your audience something to rally behind. Share your thoughts on the latest gaming news. Call out the latest crappy games on Kongregate. Show a simple Java applet that outperforms the fastest Flash .swf. Let us know about the trials and tribulations of building the games.

I believe that people that connect with your blog will eventually start buying your games. How many people reported on the piracy of "World of Goo", the poor sales of "Multiwinia", and the fact Frogger outsold "Space Giraffe" 10 to 1? Why aren't people reporting on how poorly you're doing, despite the fact you create amazing games. That's NEWS. Here's your next posting "Puppy Games - It's not about the money". Here's another one "If I built Geometry Wars, would it have sold?"

5. Anyone that buys Titan Attacks is going to be interested in UltraTron and Droid Assault. Why is there no game bundle (3 for the price of 2)? I should be rewarded for supporting "Puppy Games" and all it stands for.

6. Highscores - are you actively trying to discourage people from buying your games? Why rub my face in scores I'll never get (since everyone on that list already has more experience than me)? Make this a more private part of the site, or leave the score displays to the games themselves.

7. "Our games are ... free to download and try... for Windows, Mac OS and Linux... Spyware and Adware free" This is already assumed by everyone that visits your site. Use your limited space to get people excited about the 3 games (which must link to the "free download or purchase full version"). Don't mention "Spyware or Adware", it's like McDonald's advertising "Our burgers don't have salmonella".

8. You need an About page. It should contain your company history, but more importantly vision and philosophy.
      i.e. Great retro games require years to perfect. We refuse to release games that we wouldn't play ourselves.
      i.e. We've created the greatest versions of Space Invaders, Robotron and Paradroid ever made.
      i.e. We are committed to expanding the idea of Java on the desktop, which is severely misunderstood.
      About gives visitors something to rally behind, the Blog keeps them coming back.

9. Your games are stunning examples of what's possible as Java applets. I have no clue why you don't think that's worthy of being featured on Sun's front page (as you mentioned earlier). On public sites, you are probably the last person alive using Java applets. Surely that can get you some attention from Java developers / sites. Do you attend Java conventions? Why aren't you speaking at them (doubtful anyone has more knowledge of Java OpenGL distribution than you). The Java community seems like an ideal target audience.

I'm really hoping these suggestions help increase your game sales, because I'm planning on following them myself. Good luck!

14. Bad Sector

Original Member

best
    advice(s)
    ever
    :)

15. tolik

Original Member

<cynic>Blogging about my games? Psshh! They are worth more than that.</cynic>

If Jim wouldn't be able to inspire Cas, nobody on this board will be. Jim brought each point in the thread (and added a couple of nice ones) through just a couple of sentences that are summed up in such a pink way (in a good way, like "and the heaven revealed..."), that it makes me want to buy cas games! (and makes me jealous I'm not a native English speaker (and writer).)

16. elias4444

elias4444 New Member

Dang!!!!!

ALL HAIL JMCGINLEY! I'm about to go redo my own website now!

Dang!!!!!

17. Backov

Original Member

Brilliant. Well done and and I agree with every word of it.

18. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Sounds "sound" to me.

19. KNau

Original Member

That would be all of them because non-Minter fans thought the game sucked :) Good point!

I slightly disagree about the high scores list. At least in the webgame market a public high score list encourages more hardcore, long-term, loyal players. On the other hand, if the high score list is available in-game it's unlikely that users would go to the website to check their standing anyways.

Overall, an excellent post (copy and pasted in my file).

20. Cevo70

Cevo70 New Member

I am actually in the no-high-scores camp too. I can't pinpoint why it rubs me the wrong way but it does. It turns me off knowing that I am automatically not in the running to get a high score (because I am not hardcore enough I guess).

I agree - it's good to have posted somewhere (after all high scores are a main element in classic arcading), just not in every potential new buyer's face.