Banned from ubuntuforums.org!

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by GolfHacker, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

I really need to start supporting Linux too; I knew there was some reason I've been itching to setup Ubuntu.

Actually, Troy, would you recommend Ubuntu, as being a good flavor of Linux to use as a development PC?

2. Bad Sector

Original Member

The second paragraph might be true for GIMP (although the program is essentially the same since the first versions with only few changes), but it isn't true for Blender. The UI design for blender is well defined and its developers agree with the philosophies behind it. And the new UI that will be introduced in 2.5 (you can check it out right now via a nightly build, but its lacking some features since they're still moving code to the new UI and some stuff make it crash - yes its *far* from beta state even, but its a nice way to check out the UI itself) will enforce this even more.

It could also be because these "flaws" are not really flaws but just *other* people (Photoshop users, Maya users, 3ds max users, etc) not wanting to learn some other program and just wanting a free clone of their favourite program. When it comes to UI design, especially for graphics (and sound) programs, there are as many ways to do things as there are programs since everyone is doing it in a different way.

And in the cases that this might be true (which are only a few), i think its absolutely natural to expect from people not wanting to render their own knowledge invalid just to make it easier for others to learn a program.

3. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Ubuntu is alright. I use Kubuntu (the KDE version) v6.06. It's a pretty old version, but it uses an older compiler, which means my builds are compatible with older distros that people are running. I've also used SUSE and Fedora in the past. You just need to find a distribution that fits your style. Ubuntu is probably a good place to start.

If you're going to do Linux development, make sure you check out my series of Linux articles over on gamedev.net. There's a lot of good information in those articles that I spent over a year learning/collecting, and it should help you out a lot. I'll also be happy to test any Linux builds you make, when you get to that point.

4. Acord

Acord New Member

I'm not really sure I buy that. While the interfaces for various tasks have the same theme, they are far from similar. Why is the painting and the sculpting so different, for example? Shouldn't they be similar? Both tasks require similar manipulations, so...

I agree that this is probably true - I even have a secret belief that familiarity is the best user interface. But in the case of something like Blender, which has more functionality than it ever had before, the UI is still a tragic mish-mash of different interface philosophies - despite what the devs say. On top of that, some of the basic functionality is very flawed. Normals flipped on copied geometry, tools such as beveling and chamfering that can only be used in one situation, etc. etc.

5. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

Because it's not one guy. Linux isn't ready for the desktop before the whole "linux mentality" changes.

6. hippocoder

Indie Author

Clearly the moderator is an idiot who is holding back progress of the ubuntu/linux scene. A smart action would have been to delete his post and give him a PM not to do it again, thereby keeping the user involved in the ubuntu community.

Obviously as he's a moderator in the first place, it shows they are on the way out - and good riddence to retards.

7. Jamie W

Also Troy, just a thought, have you tried contacting the forum owner or admin? Just to give your side of events, and to explain you feel the moderator may have acted inappropriately, been over-zealous etc..

8. Bad Sector

Original Member

I never used sculpting before, but everything else i tried behaved exactly the same, using the same keystrokes and ideas. Even editing the IPO curves is done the same way as editing a mesh!

Ok i tried sculpting in 2.49b (which is the latest release). I don't see how different it is when compared with vertex painting. It looks the same to me. Which btw looks also the same like texture painting and weight painting. I don't see how they are different with different philosophies.

I just tried to duplicate some geometry and then i made some bevels in it. It worked fine here. Can you give some more details?

9. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Yup, that was the first thing I did. Never heard a thing back.

10. princec

Indie Author

<edit>Actually scrub what I just said, I'm going to try and reason with them. Another forum to register on...

Cas :)

#30 princec, Oct 10, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  11. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Hey, thanks for posting over there Cas! I appreciate you taking the time to do that. And very well said, too.

12. Jamie W

Anyone got a link to the relevant thread(s)? I can't seem to find anything over there!

13. speeler

Indie Author

I assume it's this thread.

Something is wrong when the moderator bans you yet the people in the thread thank you for your contribution.

14. tolik

Original Member

I'm joining in! I've developed my second game using Slackware in 2001, so I should protect the innocent! Major flame wars coming. I suggest we post a lot of stuff there, it gets deleted, we try to make a lot of noise in our blogs, start petitions and protests against Ubuntu. Then Cliffski comes in and says that Linux sux and this gets quoted on reddit. How's that for a plan?

15. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Yup that's the one. And thanks to those who have posted for going to bat for me!

16. ChrisP

Indie Author

You fail at engaging the Linux community. No doubt deliberately, which makes it even more pathetic. Way to go dude.

17. princec

Indie Author

Tsk! You forget tolik is our resident troll! Everything he posts is wrapped in <sarcasm> tags!

Cas :)

18. Moose2000

Moose2000 New Member

No, then Cliffski comes in and says that he's interested in talking to Linux users because he wants to understand why they suck so much.

19. ChrisP

Indie Author

Oh, I certainly didn't forget. I'm more referring to the fact that he posted in that ubuntuforums.org thread as totolik (I'm assuming), and while he's not trolling exactly, the attitude of his post is as abrasive as ever. Winning friends and influencing people, he ain't. :)

Next thing you know, he'll make his games Windows-free as a marketing experiment. :D

20. Frozen In Ice

I have added my reply to their forum as well. :)