Backdrop pitfalls – and how to avoid them

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by theo, Jan 10, 2011.

1. theo

theo New Member

Hey all!

I recently finished a new backdrop art tutorial. This one is specifically tailored toward the indie adventure game crowd and has been written in a way that it directly targets the main issues I see with most backdrops in independent adventure games, the tutorial however can obviously be applied to other types of games as well.

During my work on The Journey Down I have learned a lot from the indie community and this is my way of trying to give some love back.

The article points out a couple of core problems, and by addressing these we travel between these two pictures in just a matter of minutes:

[​IMG]

Please head an over to HardyDev to read the full article.

If you've got any feedback, questions or thoughts please, let me hear them!

If you haven't checked out The Journey Down please do!

2. Andrej Vojtas

Andrej Vojtas New Member

Very nice tips, thank you. I also liked the web design of the The Journey Down page. Very clean and effective.

3. Dri

Dri New Member

Nice read, thanks for sharing. Actually I don't think I ever seen the bad tangents tip before, while obvious, it's new to me.

Thanks again!

4. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Nice article! Lots of great tips. Thanks for sharing!

Most of my games use an orthographic projection, so the tips on perspective and horizon don't help me much. But balancing the scene, shading, and bad tangents are all great tips. I'm working on a sequel to my Dirk Dashing game, and I have to say that simply adding cel shading to the character animation and objects in the scene has drastically improved the visual appearance of the game over the flat graphics in the original. Of course, balancing and dealing with bad tangents are difficult challenges to deal with 16-layer parallax scrolling when the scene is always changing! :eek:

5. Accidental Rebel

Accidental Rebel New Member

Really helpful!

The one concept that was new to me, and was really helpful was the part about the "Bad Tangents". Usually when I finish a drawing, I never look if ever there are bad tangents on my composition.

Nice to know! Thanks!

6. theo

theo New Member

Andrej Vojtas: Thanks! I take pride in simplicity, I'm glad you like it!

Dri: Glad I could enlighten you!

GolfHacker: Lolz yes, the layer thing could potentially be quite a headache, controlling all coincidental tangents... On the contrary, since they just flash by I guess it's not really an issue. Glad you enjoyed the read.

mods, I just realized I may have posted this in the wrong place, if anyone feels like moving it to "Game Development & Technical" that might be a good idea.

7. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Very interesting and nice progression thanks.

8. Qitsune

Qitsune New Member

It contains a look of good information indeed. Actually, I guess you almost make it sound too easy. There is such a drastic change in the before and after and you make it sound like it was the work of 5 minutes to do the fixes. I wish it was that easy. Cute art too.

9. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Really practical stuff, liked the multiple horizions and bad tangents tips. I would work on objects to give them strong silhouettes but it was always a nebulous concept to me. Framing it as overlapping objects with tangential outlines really makes it concrete.