back online + pictures of new place

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by svero, Sep 6, 2004.

1. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Welll..... I've been away for a while. Apologies if you wrote me and got no response. It's been kind of hectic as I've been moving to a new place. I relocated to southern Thailand to do some diving lessons. Had to get a phone line installed and so on so I've been without the net for a while just using inet cafes to check my email and so on.

For those who are curious here are some pics of the new place and a bit of the local area..

http://www.twilightgames.com/svero/krabi.htm

This is actually just some of the scenery and there's lots more to see. I could drive around for an hr or so and take pictures of amazing varied interesting stuff (to me anyway - I really dig this scenery) every few minutes.

2. luggage

Words can't describe how jealous I am! I've spent a few weeks around Krabi and Ao Nang and it's probably my favourite place in Thailand that I've been to.

I'm thinking of going out there for a month in February, take my laptop and work on a game from start to finish. Any suggestions on places to stay? I'll pretty much just want a quiet 4 weeks and to catch up on my diving. Haven't been diving for about 5 years, used to be a member of the SAA so I'd probably have to redo my qualifications as I have no idea where my book is.

3. svero

>I'm thinking of going out there for a month in February, take my laptop and >work on a game from start to finish. Any suggestions on places to stay?

I donno. It's hard to say because everyone has different things they want. If its just beaches and diving then I'd probably stay at a resort in Railey Bay as the diving there is a little cheaper and the beaches nicer than ao-nang. The rayavadee resort is really nice but very expensive. The other places are by your budget I suppose. When I would go there I'd usually get a bungalow for 1-2k baht.

>I'll pretty much just want a quiet 4 weeks and to catch up on my diving.
    >Haven't been diving for about 5 years, used to be a member of the SAA so
    >I'd probably have to redo my qualifications as I have no idea where my book
    >is.

You can do a PADI openwater course there easy. Takes about 3-4 days to do it. I think it's about 200-350$ or so... Not sure it's been a while since I did mine

Send me an email if you do end up here in feb and maybe we can hookup for a beer or something.. go for a dive...

4. FlySim

Indie Author

Is it windy?
    I kitesurf and it looks awesome!

-J.R.

5. svero

You get a good breeze in the evening coming off the ocean.

- S

6. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Seems really a nice place :)
    How is the weather? I don't like much sea, but those pic inspired me... :)

7. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

<irony>Bah! guildfords much nicer.</irony>

8. Matthew

Indie Author

Steve,

In this Dexterity thread you mentioned the cost of living in Thailand is around $1000-1200USD for a house and decently plush lifestyled (scuba diving, going out to eat, etc). I'm curious, and if you don't mind sharing, is a house like this something one could afford in that ballpark range? Or is it a step up from your previous quote?

9. Phil Newton

Original Member

That looks like a really nice place, especially now I just looked out of my window and saw rain.

10. svero

It's really hard to measure living expenses because I can eat at the local restaurant a full meal for 1-2$ or I can go into town and get a meal for 30$ -- So it kind of depends on what you're use to and what you can deal with. That is to say... some people might find it too nature and too rustic where I am and need something more western.

That being said... the rent on the house including utilities and all the basic necessities not including food would run around 500$ USD. So you could easily live for under 700-800$ USD a month for the basics. But there are a number of other issues that that doesn't deal with like, immigration/visa costs, health care, liesure spending, etc... For instance if you want a 1 yr visa to stay here full time you either need to start a business here and get a work visa (maybe 500k to 1 million baht to set up) or get a non immigrant visa (proof of income or lots of cash in the bank..not easy) or travel out of the country every 3 months or so (cost of planes and buses and hassle) But yeah I'd say, 1200$ USD is still a reasonable amount of money if you're not too spoiled. That's the lower edge though. I wouldn't want to do it on less than that although many do. A lot of the people who work here as divers don't do it for the cash but for the area, the lifestyle, and the free diving. They often make less than 700$ a month and rent a bungalow in a resort long term for 100-200$ a month and just live in the resort.

As for the weather it's seasonal. There's 6 months of nice weather and 6 months of rain. Something roughly like that. This is the rainy season but it's really not that bad. The rain is sporadic every few days and often lasts not more than an hr or two when it does rain. You'll get the odd day where it rains all day but its a bit of a letup from the heat so I don't mind it.

11. robleong

Indie Author

Nice photos. Those limestone hills remind me of where I originally came from, namely Ipoh, in Malaysia... How long do you intend to live/stay there?

12. svero

Donno... I rented the place for 4 months. After that we'll see. I think maybe a year or so...

- S

13. HunterSD

Indie Author

I'd be quite interested in seeing more photos Steve, if you have more to upload.

14. svero

I actually plan on going for a drive tomorrow to take some pics so sometime tomorrow I will edit that page and add some more shots.

- S

15. ggambett

You seem to be moving all the time, living in new and beautiful places. One of the strengths of being an indie is that "you can take your notebook and move anywhere in the world with an internet connection", and you seem to be taking that very seriously. I'm jaleous :)

Just one doubt though. What about the rest of the team (say, your artists)? Is it feasible to do everything via the net? I know I needed hours of face to face contact with my artists to get BBB right.

16. svero

I work with people all over the world. Many if not most of whom I've never met in person. I've never had any problem working via the net. For instance Aargon Blackbox was developed in hungary and the artwork in the US.

What's actually harder is dealing with banking issues, and things of that nature. Its useful to have a partner back home who can deposit checks and so on. Without that I woudn't easily be able to move around. I'd require an accountant with bank access back in canada or to move the business overseas. But moving the business overseas is problematic too because you cant own businesses in certain countries and if you move around you cant keep moving the business with you etc.... So it's not all easy, and I think it's fair to say there are some sacrifices to make. There's give n take.

17. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Also the contract thing... and the various problems (the artist disappear... the programmer don't want to give source code... etc etc).
    The ideal solution probably would be being able to do both development+gfx.

Like myself HEHE :cool:

18. Mithril Studios

Original Member

Beautiful pictures Steve!!

I'm checking into relocating my familiy, and you have inspired me to do some research into Thailand. :)

What would be some options for part time work in Thailand, that my wife and I could do? I've read about teaching english as a second language; which both of us could do, but is there anything else that is common for foreigners?

Anthony

19. Pyabo

Original Member

Wow! Those cliffs look awesome... do you climb at all? Having a nice climbing wall a few minutes from my house would thoroughly destroy what little work ethic I have left.

20. svero

It's actually very hard to work here legally part time. In fact I'd say it's generally impossible. Many english teachers work under the table of course and in fact most schools in bangkok won't even get you a work permit because of the paperwork hassles and costs and because they dont have full time work. A lot of teachers will teach at 20 different schools to make up their schedule. I know a bit about this because I've met some teachers. So the answer to that is... you can teach english part time in bangkok if you're willing to work under the table. If you get caught though you'll be deported and possibly jailed so that may not be a risk you're willing to take. Basically it's very hard for a foreigner to work/live in thailand unless they have money supporting them from outside the country or they own a business here.