Aztaka is out!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by jmercier, May 7, 2009.

1. jmercier

jmercier New Member

Aztaka Direct Download

By the way we added a way to directly buy and download the game from us.
    Thanks to 2DBoy pointing me out Paypal IPN.

2. vjvj

Indie Author

No problem, I can understand that there needs to be a balance and you can't hand-hold people too much in action/adventure games. I'm just talking about the first 5-10 minutes of gameplay, though. That portion of the game is essentially your "instruction manual", and you don't want the instruction manual to be confusing!

I'm also interested in hearing how you market the game, as we are actually working on a similar game and have no idea how to market it, either! LOL...

3. jmercier

jmercier New Member

My one advice for you vjvj, for marketing, hire someone with skills that can put in few hours a week to make people aware of the game you are crafting. Besides that, I can only tell you what not to do : don't do like us :) so far we are failling... : Its hard for people to buy something that they are not aware of... Type Aztaka in google and you will understand whats happening to us...

Anyway to answer your question : We "try" to aim at people that played the SNES/NES 2D games that doesn't exist anymore (Battle of olympus, Zelda II, Metroid, Etc.) - thats it, people with nostalgy, that whishes that Metroid Prime would still be in 2D :)

4. vjvj

Indie Author

Yup, that's basically what we've been doing... Looking for ways to connect with Metroid and Castlevania players. But I think you're right, in the end we're probably going to need to enlist some experienced help. I don't think we can expect to become masters at marketing while simultaneously worrying about development...

5. Gassey

Original Member

Getting your game on Steam is a great way to get promotion. Many websites and forums keep an eye out on new Steam releases and cover them. Aquaria is on steam and apparently got a nice spike from the Steam release.

Your game looks like it would fit right into their offerings. IMO you should be knocking at Steam's door with some force.

EDIT: Bought the game by the way, based on the trailer.

#25 Gassey, May 18, 2009
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
  6. vjvj

Indie Author

Oh, I agree 100%, and you can bet that we're keeping a watchful eye on Steam, Greenhouse, D2D, etc. as we go...

7. cotang

cotang New Member

nice

It looks really nice from the video that I looked at. Just some general questions for you.

1.) What lang and engine did you use?
    2.) How many people worked on this?
    3.) How many games have you made in the past?

I'm thinking of becoming an indie developer myself mostly due to the games I have in my head and wanting to bring them to life, but would like some experience answers to my questions.

Thanks..

8. Luke B

Luke B New Member

Really, I didn't get it. Actually, I saw the game in another forum months ago in a list of upcoming titles to watch for. My first impression of Aztaka was "Oh, Diablo in 2d, with puzzles! ". That was the idea I carried with me until now. I've briefly looked where it's available and I've bought it. That's all. I've never searched for more information, never googled for news, nothing.

I think something could be learned from my little story: first impression is paramount.

1) The game should be clear and immediatly understandable. Maybe you've released the right screenshots at the time or it was just luck (likely the former), but in 2 seconds a clear definition was stored in my mind of what the game I supposed was about. By the way, which is your one-sentence pitch?

2) The graphic is what bought me the most. Even after many months, I've recalled about Aztaka thanks to your distinctive art.

3) Nurtured community ~=> revenues

9. Zollo

Zollo New Member

I'd love to try it out based on this alone. This game is targeted at me! I tried to get the Demo working a while back but I kept getting this error when starting it up.
    "This application has failed to start because d3dx9_40.dll was not found."

10. andrewo

Original Member

Gotta update your directx

11. jmercier

jmercier New Member

1) C++ , home made engine, very simple. I'm thinking about selling the code for nothing, like 250$ each license do you think it'll generate some money?
    2) Between 1 and 5 poeple, but we got lots of help "here and there"
    3) Few games, but it was the first made independently.

Being an indie is fun, you have total control of your time. But, it takes a lot of it (Time).

@Luke B
    Thanks for supporting us. Very appreciated! I still have no clue what my "one sentence pitch is" - but I'm working on it, with the patch, and lots of other things.

12. vjvj

Indie Author

I'm not sure how Luke B got "Diablo in 2D" from your screens (maybe it was the interface elements?), but he has a point with the one-sentence pitch. Here's an article that might help:

http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/564/what_a_.php?page=2

One great example: Gears of War == "Linebackers with chainsaws".

13. Luke B

Luke B New Member

You've got it, vjvj. As a designer I'm a bit obsessed with clear and efficient comunication that helps to maximaze your efforts on sales, but not only.

I can't remember where and which screen I saw at the time, but likely part of the hud conveyed to me those feelings. I'm not saying that every game needs such "one-sentence pitch", but when I was to buying your game, I noticed that your website wasn't clear on explaining what kind of game is Aztaka.
    I know, genres sucks, but they're the easiest way to convey gameplay experiences.

About the engine, you know, there's Torque2d or FRBengine out there, the former right for 250$...

Citeremis, keep going and good luck !!

#33 Luke B, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
  14. AnthemAudio

Original Member

Just got around for another playthrough. I think I enjoyed it a bit more, even though everything different was cosmetic. Still a good deal of text to make people jump into but it's easily clickable. The audio mix was MUCH MUCH better now, no performance problems or thin sounds anymore. One of my biggest passions is audio implementation. Producing it is one thing, using it to good effect is another and usually lacking. Nice production values all around, might pick it up if I had real time to play it!

-Tony

15. jmercier

jmercier New Member

Thanks AnthemAudio for the kind words.Credits should go to 3PeakAudio :)

16. Fenrir Fenris

Fenrir Fenris New Member

Trailer looks awesome, i'd be well proud to make a game that even just LOOKS that good :]

17. KlickTock

KlickTock New Member

Gratz on getting on Steam BTW guys! Hope the release goes well for you!

Matt