Awesome looking game - Little Big Planet

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by mot, Mar 10, 2007.

1. mot

mot
    Indie Author

2. ~LK~

~LK~ New Member

I whole heartedly agree. I saw this acouple days ago and was very impressed.

3. princec

Indie Author

Incredible. It looks like the cutest game on Earth.

Cas :)

4. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

All the best bits are coded by Jonny Hopper :D

5. clilian

Original Member

Awesome !

I wonder how many hundreds of developers/artits are needed to create such a game !

Lilian :)

6. sound app

Indie Author

wow. tantalising !

7. cliffski

its a tiny company, made mostly of ex-lionhead people. What makes you think it needed hundreds of people?

8. clilian

Original Member

I was (mostly) joking... and comparing this 3D game with 2D scrolling with my own game which uses the same kind of display (but is much simpler and yet time consuming).

I wanted the emphasize on the overall feeling of quality (aestetics and gameplay).

So how many are they ?

Lilian :)

9. cliffski

not sure, around a dozen I guess.

10. soniCron

Indie Author

I agree, it looks gorgeous. And I can't wait to see how it turns out. But I can't help but think it's nothing more than the marriage of next-gen buzzwords...

HDR Lighting!

On-line multiplayer!

Ragdoll!

Physics!

<strike>Innovative!</strike>

Call me cynical, but the only thing that looks amazing to me are the graphics. Otherwise, it looks like a clunky, frustrating, boring game. Glad to see they're bringing the 2D platformer back -- about damn time! -- but I'll believe the hype when folks get their hands on it. To be declaring it the PS3's killer app... :confused:

11. Bad Sector

Original Member

Probably they mean that it'll kill the PS3 :p

12. electronicStar

Original Member

Yeah the gameplay seems less interesting than , say, Unreal 1 Co-op (or any other co-op oldschool game). The levels are rather simple and gimmicky , for those who aren't bored of playing with physics engines yet.
    I don't think they needed a huge team for that game, a dozen seems to be a correct estimation.

13. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Have we turned into Joystiq as well as Gamedev now?

14. Ricardo C

Original Member

Why, because people didn't like the game?

It looks and sounds fantastic. But I have to agree with some of the comments above. The gameplay looks like torture.

15. princec

Indie Author

Watching a pair of 8 and 6 yr olds playing on a PS2 the other day it hit home to me just how totally amazing at playing computer games are compared to us old past-it losers.

That game looks like torture to us but I bet those kids would totally own it and love every minute.

Cas :)

16. luggage

Not at all, it's because I fail to see the value in threads like this. Just a bunch of people going "yeah, that looks cool" and "nah, that looks crap".

17. soniCron

Indie Author

I can understand where you're coming from, luggage, but I do think it has some value.

It is a rather beautiful game. (Exceptionally so, in fact.) And it was created by a very small team of independent developers. So, to draw our attention to it does have value because its production is potentially applicable to indie developers. (Albeit very talented ones.) Its production values serve as a virtual "upper crust" to developers in production. Additionally, it does have a rather unique combination of gameplay elements that are particularly popular right now, also serving as a blueprint for game design.

So, while I understand your frustration, I do think it has value to the members of this forum. Now, if it were another high-budget FPS... :p

18. luggage

You're right, you can't move on this thread for insightful comments regarding the design and production quality of the game.

19. Matthew

Indie Author

The original post only has the link to the gameplay trailer. Here is the video of the level editing tools:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hU-0keJtk

They've said the demo level was created with these same in-game tools. I find the whole thing pretty damned amazing--I'd buy a PS3 to have a 4-player level editing jam. The physics-based gameplay gets me off too, of course.

20. soniCron

Indie Author

Indeed, a more suitable location for this would be a community blog or wiki, but we haven't got one. In this case, the value of the announcement supercedes the value of the ensuing commentary. But given the format in which the announcement was given, it's to be expected, no?

If you're bored, there's a whole forum full of commentary waiting for a thoughtful moderator such as yourself. Certainly we shouldn't allow that drivel on here... :rolleyes: