Avoiding link time dependencies

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by ggambett, Apr 24, 2008.

1. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I've integrated ffmpeg with our framework so we can play AVI within our games. I have to link with a couple of new libraries and ship a couple of DLLs for this to work.

The thing is, most of our games don't play AVI, so these DLLs aren't needed at all, but the game will refuse to start without them, just because the framework *may* use them (the linker won't remove that because using or not using them depends on an if(), ie "if(filename contains ".avi") then...")

The two options I can think of are a) not linking to the libs and using LoadLibrary/dlopen to get pointers to the functions I need, or b) having this dependency as a separate library (framework-avisupport) which registers an "AVI handler" with some global list in the framework on startup.

I don't like a) because it's tedious and error prone, and I don't like b) because it uses static constructors where order of execution can be tricky. Solution b) looks like the lesser of evils, but I still think it's evil.

Any other ideas?

2. Scorpio

Indie Author

In this situation, we always go with option A (unless there are hundreds of functions that are used--which has never been the case for us (fortunately!)).

Although it's a little tedious to setup, once you have it all coded (and you can make a class to hide it all), it works very well and fails very gracefully if the required stuff is not installed. What type of errors are you worried about?

Since option A is how we do it, I don't have any other suggestions for you (but interested in seeing some as well).
    -Scorpio

3. GeneralGrant

GeneralGrant New Member

If you use Visual Studio you can use delay loaded dlls (linker switch). The dll is only loaded if an exported function is called at runtime. You can’t, however, unload the dll once loaded.

4. jpoag

jpoag New Member

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/96c1b5cf(VS.80).aspx

But I'm with Scorpio, you'll be able to fail gracefully, or define NOOP situations.

The SexyAppFramework uses the BASS music library, but for demos, when we don't need sound, we can say something like mNoSoundNeeded = true;

When the Framework is in the Init() stage, it checks this parameter and if it's set to true, then it loads up a MusicInterface that does nothing, otherwise it loads up Bass.dll and returns an instance to a base music wrapper.

There's even a third option to return a FMod interface later on, but I digress.

If you create an interface for the library, then why no go one extra step and abstract the interface? That way your IVideoPlayer can have NOOP implementations of the methods.

#4 jpoag, Apr 24, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  5. GeneralGrant

GeneralGrant New Member

I stand corrected. :)

6. jpoag

jpoag New Member

lol, sorry mate, but that was the first link I saw on the page you posted. Really helpful, and I didn't know that you delay dll loading before you told me. ;)

7. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Yes! This is what I am doing too.

JC

8. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Replying to directly to Scorpio and indirectly to everyone else... I want this to work on Linux, Mac and Windows. So no VS-specific solutions, and loading the libraries by hand is not only tedious, but tedious times three :)

9. Kayamon

Kayamon New Member

How about b) where you put the AVI code in a separate library.

But rather than use a static constructor, the user would simply call:

{
    EnableAVIPlayback(); // or something
    }

10. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

I've used delayed DLL loading on Windows before. It isn't so bad, and is an ideal solution.

In *nix systems, you would have a .so (shared object) instead of a .dll. Shared objects are only loaded when needed, so you shouldn't need to do anything special for Linux.

Not sure about Mac, you'll need to refer to the documentation on the Apple developer site, or possible ask the folks at www.idevgames.com.

11. 20thCenturyBoy

Original Member

What's wrong with just shipping the dlls and be done with it? License issues?

12. ChrisP

Indie Author

Make that tedious times two; Mac OS X uses dlopen/dlsym (the Unix/Linux way) since version 10.3. :) So unless you're set on supporting 10.2 and earlier, you only need to write the code twice.

More than that, dlopen/LoadLibrary and dlsym/GetProcAddress and whatever the unloading functions are called (I forget!) are practically interchangeable. Just write three small wrapper functions, and hey presto, you have a cross-platform dynamic library loading routine. This is exactly the approach used for Mayhem Intergalactic. I package the DLLs/SOs/frameworks with the game, and simply call functions to load the library and the functions I need. Slightly tedious, yes, but at least it's now tedious times one!

The paths to the libraries will obviously change on each OS. This isn't difficult at all. I use "something.dll" on Windows, "./something.so" on Linux (the ./ is important; Linux doesn't link to DLLs in the current directory if you simply name the file without the directory part), and "./frameworks/Something.framework/Something" on Mac OS X.

I haven't actually released the Linux or Mac versions yet, but they work. Mostly. The bits that don't work aren't related to library loading. :)

13. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Oops, thanks ChrisP - I missed the part about avoiding link dependencies (heh, the whole title of the thread). If you just want to not load a .so on Linux that your game doesn't use, you don't need to do anything special - it loads as needed. But if you don't want to have to link against it, and/or have the executable start without this .so present, you absolutely have to use dlsym.

Sorry, guess my first post in here wasn't too useful. :(

14. Huge

Original Member

I like option A - it is like a "plugin" system.
    To make life easier on yourself, you can define a c++ abstact base class with virtual functions. Implement this inside a "glue" DLL by calling the appropriate library funtions, thus binding your (very small) glue dll to the other dlls. Finally, add a single static "c-linkage" function "CreateInterface" that simply "new"s a concrete implementation of your base class. This way you only have to resolve a single function pointer (CreateInterface) since the virtual function pointers will be in the vtable.
    If you are feeling paranoid, make your first function "GetVersion".

Huigh