August Monthly Round-Up on GameTunnel

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by cyrus_zuo, Aug 22, 2008.

1. MFS

MFS New Member

FWIW, I half agree with Russ and half agree with Dan. Although the situation did come across clearly to me as being non-sensical, it did actually leave a slightly bad taste in my mouth.

Why? Not sure, and I'm not sure it can easily be conveyed with words, as the feeling itself is quite intangible.

Bottom line: Did it bother me? No. Can I imagine it bothering some people? Yes.

For any who've commented and actually haven't played the scene, I suggest you go and play it, and see for yourself.

Obviously, Dan, you have played it, and hold that it is purely for humor and there are no mal-intentions; however, predicting how other people will perceive something and react, is not always so simple.

2. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

I think the visual was one of the things that made me struggle to think he was pretending. Dinosaurs, as we know, have short arms. Looking at the Dinosaur on the screen sitting in front of his computer, I didn't see how he would be able to work on his computer, it didn't look like he could reach the keyboard. For me that made it seem legitimate and not pretended. I think the point MFS made above is a good one.
    I've pulled the piece about the scene in question from my review...essentially for the same reason. It wasn't intended to create such a strong negative response and needs to be rewritten to better explain or removed, for now, I just pulled it :). Apologies Dan, it was unintentionally over the top.

3. thezombiecow

thezombiecow New Member

Thanks Russell!

4. Spore Man

Indie Author

Just as a game can present things in a way that doesn't deliver the intended message.... so can an article and its author make the same errors in delivering their message. ;-)

5. MFS

MFS New Member

It was meant to go both ways :rolleyes:

:D

6. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

...I finally got around to getting a screenshot of the scene for all those (everyone?) who didn't have a chance to play the game to see what was being talked about.

[​IMG]

7. princec

Indie Author

Er, what does that show us then?

Cas :)

8. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

To quote myself...

Just an explanation of why I thought what I thought :)

I think if you raise the desk he could type, but as soon as you need a 'special accomodation' I think you are in the legitimately handicaped territory. You can't really fake having a physical deformation like having arms too short to reach the keyboard.

Again...different people can take things different ways. As to why I posted it?
    I felt/feel the desire to explain why I think/feel the way I do. If I'm to be called crazy I want to be understood first ;).

#28 cyrus_zuo, Sep 5, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  9. Oddbob

Oddbob New Member

Couldn't he just slide the chair in closer to the desk? ;)

10. CaptainBinky

Original Member

Call me nutso, but in that screenshot, there's a dinosaur with massive hands who'd have trouble pressing keys, a dinosaur with stumpy elephant hands who'd have even more trouble, a dinosaur with glasses so is either short or long sighted, a dinosaur with a huge long neck who has to lean over uncomfortably to read the screen (neck strain), and a dinosaur with little arms.

So by your definition, all of these dinosaurs are in some way handicapped but only the T.Rex uses it as an excuse to get out of work. That still makes him a twat regardless of whether or not any or all of them are genuine disabilities.

CB

11. HairyTroll

Original Member

How is it that a T-Rex, that is supposed to have short arms is somehow disabled/handicapped? How? If it had long arms, or one arm, or no arms perhaps. But short arms?

It might not be suited to perform certain tasks, but that sure doesn't make it disabled. Unlike the T-Rex, a human jaw cannot apply 200,000 newtons of force. So then are humans disabled?

12. princec

Indie Author

That was the entire joke.

Cas :)

13. HairyTroll

Original Member

So having short arms is a joke? Someone needs to stand up for these poor extinct creatures. :)

14. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

and back to the original thread... excellent roundup! dugg :)