August Monthly Round-Up on GameTunnel

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by cyrus_zuo, Aug 22, 2008.

1. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

Another month 'o reviews are up for your reading pleasure at GameTunnel. It was a pretty slow month that I think produced the lowest score on a game in the 5 year history of the panel.

Check it out here:
    http://www.gametunnel.com/articles.php?id=706

...and if you dig it, please digg it! We certainly appreciate the opportunity to spread the word a little, and I'm convinced that as always, there are some games in the list that will really tickle some people. The individual scores suggest it even if the overall 'scores' don't necessarily reflect that.

A big thanks to the panel members again for their time and efforts in making this a reality, and another big thanks to everyone who was willing to let the panel review their game!

2. princec

Indie Author

Dugg. Thanks for the good work etc.

Cas :)

3. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Dugg as well.
    You know what is fun, having my best rated game on GT, and it's the only one not actually written by me! at least I can say that the "original idea" is mine :eek:

4. AnthemAudio

Original Member

wow, some overall low scores this month.

at any rate, thanks for all of your continued work on this!

Dugg!

5. Cartman

Indie Author

Thanks for the review of Crumb guys. I really appreciate the exposure and the reviews were very well done.

One thing of note from the review. There is a map screen that shows you the full level. You can get to it from the Options menu or hitting M within the game. It's mentioned in the Help. In hind site, I should mention it in a popup earlier in the game, so people don't have to go looking for it.

Thanks again for taking the time to review my game.

6. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Thanks for the reviews once again!

7. Leon

Original Member

Always good to see this still going. :)

8. aiursrage2k

Original Member

Wow the game "Vega" got hammered. Makes me we want to see why :D

9. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

...and I honestly think that is great :)

10. thezombiecow

thezombiecow New Member

Thanks for the coverage ;)

This feels somewhat off-base, though:

Uhmm... there's a bit where you accidentally kill a dinosaur who's pretending to have a disability to get out of doing any work, as part of a running gag throughout the game... is that the bit you mean?

If so, it's a bit of a leap to infer that I have some sort of deathwish against handicapped people.

??

11. thezombiecow

thezombiecow New Member

I think it's the use of the word 'dude' that's the problem.

If you'd written 'dinosaur' then that quote would have come out suitably silly.

Using 'dude' there removes all sense of context - suggesting immediately that it's a helpless guy in a wheelchair rather than the truth: that it's a bone-idle T-Rex using the excuse of 'short forearms' to get out of doing any work.

Not to mention the fact that the death is utterly accidental and he's in no way singled out for death because of a perceived 'handicap'.

By removing any sense of context in the review, your choice of words have given a moment of silliness a sinister and unpleasant reflection. To be personally associated with that twisting of reality is somewhat offensive.

12. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

Thanks Dan, I knew you'd love my expressing of how I felt when playing and would give your own opinion on my opinion :D .

I'm all good with differences of opinion. Everyone has a different threshold of what feels like 'too far!' and for me that scene was it :).

13. princec

Indie Author

I too was given entirely the wrong impression by your review there Russ - perhaps you should edit it and make it a little clearer what actually happens.

14. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

Nope. What I sensed when playing that part of the game is what I wrote.

That section may have no ill-intentions at all, but that isn't how I felt in playing it...and I wouldn't and didn't suggest re-writing the game to make it not come off in a way that I found distasteful ;).

15. the2bears

Original Member

I sense another ax is being ground. :rolleyes:

Bill

16. princec

Indie Author

hmm... I've always wondered why Russ has been so reluctant to ever go back and correct things or clarify things in his online articles - that being the very essence of the Web. Even printed publications print aplogies and errata.

17. Gary Preston

Original Member

I think using the word dude in the review gives a compleatly different image of what happened in the game. I think you should have explained it was a disabled dinasour if that was indeed the case, then you can always say that it made you feel like it was poking fun at disabled people in general.

Reading your review I got the impression the game was poking fun at a disabled guy, the image I had was someone in a wheelchair in a pub (based on the screenshot to the left of the review showing guys in a pub) and it wouldn' have been the kind of humour I'd have enjoyed and would have put me off the game.

However, having read the comments in this thread if it was indeed a disabled dinasour that has "short arms" that's a totally different kind of humour that I could accept.

I understand you want to get across your impression of the game, but at the same time I feel you should explain the situation the game portrayed _then_ give your opinion. Your review paints the game in a poor light when what the game actually portrays may be acceptable to some.

It is your review at the end of the day, but for the want of changing one word "dude" -> "dinasour" you could have avoided the risk of mis-interpretation whilst still getting your opinion over. That said, it's nice to see the monthly round ups back in full swing, keep em coming :)

18. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

Good points and I think there is certainly some clarity that can be made, and if I have a minute tonight I may do so. I just wanted to point out that I think think it goes both ways :).

Players can only perceive what you show them...just like readers there is lots of room for understanding something in different ways. I used dude over dinosaur for a reason, I felt the game was trying to minimalize the episode by making the people dinosaurs so that it didn't 'feel' as bad. Honestly it only made things worse for my perception as it felt to me like the game wanted to feel excused for its attitude towards those who are handicaped. I understand that it's all humor in the end, and to some degree the definition of humor is taking things that people are uncomfortable with and making them more comfortable with them. This one moment of the game (and there were plenty where you could be offended) crossed the line for me and I wanted to bring it to people's attention before they downloaded. Different people have different tastes.

...and Cas we've made plenty of changes after an article has been up...plenty and lots of changes...:p

19. thezombiecow

thezombiecow New Member

What?? We did no such thing, and it's utterly preposterous to suggest we did. That quote above reads like you realise you've made a massive mistake and are simply trying to cover it up by flinging even more shit our way, and clutching at straws in an effort to justify it!

There's no sub-text, there's no hidden agenda, and actually there's not even a genuine disability involved. The dinosaur is pretending to have a disability, and that's made quite clear in-game.

It's a nonsense joke that you've comepletely mis-represented in the review to a near-libellous degree. To make matters worse, you've then slapped my name over it and painted me as someone with repressed desires to murder handicapped people.

20. princec

Indie Author

Aye. Pretty severe sense of humour failure there Russ?