Atlantis opens on BigFish

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Emmanuel, Jul 30, 2005.

1. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

Several games I have worked on have been dispelling that 5 MB myth for many years. (if that myth ever existed)

And I don't even remember hearing the myth (or law) about Open GL games. I always though it was possible to make a very successful Open GL game. But I also though that any game that required Open GL, could have even more successful if it had managed to run just as well without requiring GL.

2. sparkyboy

Original Member

Emmanuel.....
    Absoulement INCROYABLE mon ami!!!!!!

Avant cette Jeu, t'etait comme tous les autres (moi inclus)!!!!!! :D
    Maintenant t'es comme un dieu.....dans mes yeux.....juste comme Svero, Retro64 et JCSmith!!!!!!! :p

Non(oui???), comme j'avais dit deja.....tu fais/t tres bien ton truche/thing!!! :rolleyes:

All the best and more power to your twins

Mark.

P.S.
    Desole Emmanuel mais je crois je perde un peu francais!!!! Oh well.....

3. Emmanuel

Well, you can make a completely original game, do market research for the competition, get peer recognition, and get cloned in a month (say, Betty "giving birth" to Diner Dash for example). You can clone an old game, call it a homage and get peer recognition (say, Water Bugs, Ultratron, Bricks of XXX). You can derive your engine for a franchise game (say, Best Friends). You can clone a recent top seller (like Atlantis or Beetle Bomp), itself a clone of another top seller.

Personally I don't see anything wrong in terms of self-esteem with any of these business models, creating a game is hard work in any case. It's probably better for humanity at large to produce a new concept and get cloned next week, but noone minds extra revenue from Adsense or affiliated games that you didn't make (I recall getting requests for affiliating Atlantis from people that wonder if we shouldn't all make clones).

Atlantis won't have the staying power of Luxor or BKR on any portal, this is a given. Then again Atlantis was produced in slightly under two months by two people, so in terms of revenue per individual, this is an extremely profitable venture already. It still sells on funpause.com nearly like it did when it was released, and it resurrected the sales of Garden Golf as well.

Sparkyboy, thanks but I'm not nearly in the same league as James or svero, not even a neighboring league :)

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

#83 Emmanuel, Sep 5, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  4. Emmanuel

Actually Atlantis works with either DirectX or OpenGL. It does require hardware acceleration, so I don't know how that affects sales. Atlantis doesn't nearly have the goal-setting cleverness of BKR, so effects are used as the crutch ;)

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

5. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I think that you will be surprised how long it will stay...! ;)

6. patrox

Indie Author

We all are. I haven't seen a single original game in the last 5 years. ( maybe more )

the hard part is to write a good clone that people want...

The real question should be, shall we only clone the "portal arcade" top 10.

pat.

7. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

I wasn't trying to belittle you, Emmanual. I wouldn't have asked to publish the game at Retro64.com if I had a big problem with it.

Just trying to understand why more developers (including myself) don't take that road. For me, it comes down to 2 things: ego and greed: I want that super smash hit like Zuma :)

Basically, it seems like nearly every game fits in one of 3 categories:
    1. Conceptual clone of old concept: Zuma (puzz loop), BBB (tapper), Cosmic Bugs (Jezzball)- as Emmanual called it: Homage.
    2. Conceptual clone of existing casual game: BKR (bejeweled), Luxor (Zuma)
    3. Direct clone: Atlantis (Luxor), Coin World (Superstar Chefs)

It seems like #3 carries the least risk, but as Emmanual says, likely won't have the same staying power as the game it was based on. #1 probably has the highest ceiling, but also the most risky, with #2 being somewhere in between. Seems like the most recent smash hit games all fit #2.....

#87 Mike Boeh, Sep 5, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Ehrm, me and cliffsky could be offended... :D

9. sparkyboy

Original Member

Hehe, MODESTY will get you all the way bud!!! ;)

Kudos

Mark.

10. Emmanuel

Mike, I didn't take it as belittling, sorry, rereading, I sounded more defensive than I meant to be :) I'd love to have Atlantis on retro64.com, let me know when this won't conflict with Water Bugs and we'll get that done.

We (funpause) will try a #2 (in Mike's categories) when we have reached a good enough levels in several skills: game design, game implementation and marketing. I think we might be good enough in implementation and marketing terms (we'll see if the next titles work..) but not in design yet, definitely. And, for sure, that's where the staying power is.

I didn't want to get people too interested in Jack's or cliffski's success recipe so I didn't say anything, but yes, a successful category is niche games whose sales are below the radar of GameLab and whomever to clone, but, once compounded, amount to a pretty good income. They aren't as easy to make as one could think (UBM is a pretty deep simulation game for instance) though.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

11. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I think that everyone should do WHAT THEY LIKE most (in term of kind of games).
    I think that atlantis was so good because emmanuel like those kind of games. At same time mine or cliffsky are good games (I think) because we obviously like those kind of games (simulations/strategy).
    The same can be said for Spidweb old-style RPG and so on. I think that trying to follow the market and just doing clones is more difficult than what it seems... ;)

12. Kaos

Original Member

13. Emmanuel

Thanks! There's some pretty amazing titles in competition over there already, hope there's a little bit of space for Atlantis :)

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

14. Emmanuel

Well, there we go. We're out on RealArcade.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

15. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

I forsee an imminent launch at DFG ;)

16. Tertsi

Indie Author

Nice going!

I'm just curious, what was the budget of the game? (It's ok if you don't want to tell.)

#96 Tertsi, Sep 23, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2005
  17. Emmanuel

Tertsi, the game cost 2 months of 2 people (mostly) full time, plus music and SFX :) On top of that, add almost another month of 1 person full time on marketing, localization in 10+ languages for portals, support, bugfixes, etc. :)

Oh, just saw that we're #2 on RealArcade this week.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

18. sparkyboy

Original Member

It just seems to get better and better eh Emmanuel! :)

FANTASTIQUE MON AMI!!!!! ;)

All the best

Mark.

19. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Atlantis... Brick of Atlantis... BAH :mad:
    I'm going to make Universal Atlantis Manager then!!! :D

20. jankoM

Indie Author

Hey Jack, I just meant to write that I will make "KUBI of Atlantis" :p