Atlantis opens on BigFish

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Emmanuel, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Escapee

Original Member

Congratulation !! Atlantis rocks !!

2. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

Congrats again, Emmanuel. Seems like Atlantis is going to be in every Top10 on Earth :)

3. soniCron

Indie Author

Didn't I tell you that you were going to be a rich man? ;)

4. lakibuk

Indie Author

Damn, i wish i were smart enough to know how to write a Zuma-clone.

5. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

This is the first criticism I have seen in this thread, which is surprising to me, considering how close to Luxor this game is.

I think the apparent success of Atlantis raises a valid question. Is it worth even trying to make more original stuff? Or is it better to just look what is successful in the casual market and write a high quality clone? It seems like 1 in every 5 clones of an existing casual game could be considered a success. But games that are not clones of a proven winner would be about 1 in 100....

The pride factor comes into play here of course, which changes the dynamic a lot.

6. lakibuk

Indie Author

Arrrhh...this was not meant as criticism. I really would like to make a good Zuma or match-3 clone if i had the wits to come up with something as good as Luxor or Kahuna Reef. To me originality seems kind of neurotic.

7. simonh

Indie Author

I personally would get more pride from having a proven top seller than a slap on the back from a few indie developers for making something original.

Outside this very small community of indie developers, I'm not sure anyone really cares how original your output is.

This business is now the same as the retail one, very few people willing to take risks and that's the way I'm sure it will stay.

8. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

Well, actually, I meant self-pride, not what the community at indiegamer.com thinks. Ever see Pulp Fiction? Marsellus Wallace's lecture on pride to Butch is an interesting point of view :)

I guess I mistakenly thought lakibuk's post was sarcasm. In any event though, I think my question still stands. Why aren't we all writing clones?

9. lakibuk

Indie Author

For me there are some reasons:
    - I am too incompetent to compete with professional products which can be found in the top 10 on the portals.
    - I don't have to live from my indie income. My part-time job is sustaining me.
    - Some people bought my first game and said they liked it. So there are people who are open to different game concepts.
    - I am also interested in different concepts than match-3. That could be called neurotic.

10. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I think it may make business sense, if 1) your costs are low, 2) your dev cycles are short, 3) your polish is high enough.

11. Ricardo C

Original Member

There could be several reasons:

1. Lack of passion for the genre in question. An uninspired clone won't sell.

2. Lack of resources. Matching the production values of a Luxor or a BKR is not a trivial task.

3. Lack of skill/knowledge.

*goes back to quietly work on "Inca Bugs: The 'Please Don't Sue Me, Retro64 and PopCap' Edition* :D

12. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

To me it all comes down to good game or not. Being similar to another successful game can help since others would take it more seriously and give it more promotion. Ultimately users will decide. Honestly I feel like sequels in Hollywood it must be bigger and better than the original.

I loved Luxor and played it for hours on end. Atlantis is good but honestly I just tested it and moved on as didn't have much oomph to me. Guess our users feel the same as Atlantis sales are nice but much slower than Luxor. Will be interesting to see Atlantis's staying power elsewhere after the initial email list exposure subsides. Just my stupid observations, please don't misread as like every game here I wish Atlantis absolutely all the best!

13. patrox

Indie Author

#1 on gamehouse.
    That breaks the indy law #1 and #2 you're good for jail time breaking such laws!

openGL games don't sell
    games > 5 MB don't sell

pat.

14. lakibuk

Indie Author

Beetle Bomp has entered IWin's charts on place #10.

15. stanchat

Indie Author

Do you mean Atlantis is #10?

16. lakibuk

Indie Author

No, Beetle Bomp. Svero's Zuma-game.
    Sorry for being offtopic since this thread is about Atlantis.
    Maybe we should open up a Zuma-clones appreciation thread. :)
    www.iwin.com

17. stanchat

Indie Author

Maybe I have a cached version of Iwin but this is the way it shows up in my browser on the front screen Top 10 downloads.

1. Family Feud 2. Gold Miner: SE 3. Mah Jong Questâ„¢ 4. Fiber Twig 2 5. Chuzzle 6. Monopoly 3 7. Diner Dashâ„¢ 8. Luxor 9. Aloha Solitaire 10. Atlantis

18. lakibuk

Indie Author

Arg,yes. Now i see Atlantis instead of BB,too. Maybe i had a cached page. Or Atlantis' overwhelming success is too much and my mind starts playing tricks on me.
    Edit: Now it's BB again. This is getting excited.

Attached Files:

#78 lakibuk, Sep 4, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  19. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Im actually not sure if that means much. Im not sure the list is accurate as a sales stats list and I dont know if there's been any promotion (ie newsletter etc..) - It may not mean anything at all. I think we're waiting for version 1.0.0.2 to get rolled out. But really I just dont know. Maybe Iwin just started sending out their newsletter which could have some effect.

20. Bmc

Bmc New Member

most games aren't even under 5 megs anymore ;)