Assembla.com

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Desktop Gaming, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

If any of you are using assembla.com, you might or might not be aware that they are in the process of making some changes.

Free user accounts are being kept, but the maximum amount of space is 200MB (down from 500MB). Also, free accounts will now be visible to the public.

If you don't want that, you can have a private/professional account:
    More here.

2. mooktown

Original Member

Strange move :confused:

3. Aldacron

Original Member

No, they won't be. The announcement in the email was poorly worded:

There's a superfluous comma in there that can cause a misunderstanding. They will give people the option of either upgrading a private space or making it public. They aren't going to suddenly make someone's private space public without any consent at all. This same text was posted on the Assembla blog a couple of weeks ago. Andy Singleton from Assembla clarified in the comments what happens to those private spaces whose owners don't respond:

So private space owners who do not respond will find their repositories restricted to read-only access until they choose one of the options. Reasonable, I think.

The timing rather sucks for me, though, as I finally got around to creating an account, with the intent of using a free private space to try it out for a bit, the day before the blog post.

4. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Regarding free accounts:

Anybody who is currently using a free account has two choices; 1. Pay for a private account, or 2. Make it publicly viewable.

If you don't do either of the above in a timely manner, your account will become read-only (read: next to useless). The reality is, you either pay up, or go public. Or stop using it, obviously.

And the free accounts are not just 'public' in that anybody can see what files you have. Anybody can download any of your files as well. I know cos I've just been snooping in other people's public accounts!

However... my game repository is currently about 70MB. Assembla charge you $2 per month, plus $0.30 for the first 100MB of storage per month. Beyond that its $3 per month, per GB.

I don't suppose its a bad deal.

All I can tell you is that I've been using Assembla for coming up to a year now (a free account), and haven't had a single problem. No downtime, no data loss, no poor transfer speeds, nothing.

5. mot

mot
    Indie Author

Hey, here's a business idea:

1. Rewrite Subversion to use Amazon S3^H^H EC2 as data storage.
    2. Offer Subversion hosting for twice as much as the Amazon hosting costs you.
    3. Profit!

#5 mot, Nov 7, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008