Aspect Oriented Programming

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Jesse Aldridge, Jun 21, 2007.

1. HairyTroll

Original Member

Using Context oriented programming, multiple inheritance would be used to add all 9 behaviours (mixins) to a class. At runtime the class is instantiated as an object. Then these behaviour mixins are activated and de-activated for that specific object as needed (The multiple inheritance for the object is modified at runtime). So for example, at one point in the game perhaps 6 of the 9 mixins are active. At another point in the game perhaps only a single mixin is active. In addition the programmer is able to specify method combinations using before, after and around specifiers. Thus telling the OO system to call certain behaviours before, after or around other behaviours.

The reason I said that it becomes as efficient as "normal OO programming" is that the hoops that you describe above are not required. Everything is handled by the existing OO machinery of the environment meaning the programmer doesn't have to code all these additional patterns.

#21 HairyTroll, Jun 24, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  2. Bad Sector

Original Member

Then how do you code a "behaviour group" that combines two behaviours that react to the same event? For example a behaviour that once the entity collides with some other entity (like a bullet to a monster) gives the player some score points and a behaviour that explodes the entity? Both of these behaviours need to react at the same event (collision with entity). How do you inform both for the event?

In C++ you cannot have a class that inherits two base classes with the same function (actually you can, but when you call that function, the compiler will produce an error because it doesn't know which class' function to call - and you want to call both). And in C++'s case things are somewhat easy because with some voodoo coding (having these classes derive from another class that provides a callback mechanism and using a registry that accept this base class with an event mask for the events you're interested) you can slip through these. But what about languages, such as Java, which do not support multiple inheritance?

With simple inheritance, things are easy. I've done it in Square Shooter - the red bullets have the same "logic" (role) as the black bullets - their role class is derived from the black bullet role class and they just change the collision reaction code a bit to allow them to go through the enemies.

3. Jesse Aldridge

Original Member

4. HairyTroll

Original Member

That is one of the problems that Context orientated programming solves. That paper (< 10 pages) describes an implementation of Context orientated programming in Lisp, but don't let that put you off. It is definitely worth a read especially as you are one to create your own languages.

5. Bad Sector

Original Member

Thanks for the PDF, i'll read it at some point later. Although to be honest, i never liked the lisp family of languages (even if i wrote an interpreter for a list-like language myself :D).

6. MedievalElks

MedievalElks New Member

Classic mixin-inheritance is different than classic IS-A inheritance. Mixin classes are those that generally don't stand on their own, but rather provide functionality when added to others. The canonical example is a Lockable class that provides locking semantics to say, a Semaphore, or Thread, or FileHandle, etc.

Mixins in C++ are often implemented as so-called "abstract subclasses":

template<class Base> class Lockable: public Base { ... };

Lockable<Thread> lockable_thread; // Lockable semantics added to Thread

You could do the same with composition, but then you'd have to add a Lockable to every class that needed the functionality instead of adding it dynamically. Same thing if you inherit directly from Lockable - it's done statically in the class definition.

7. mot

mot
    Indie Author

I'd use signals and slots in this case...

But sooner or later, the exploding behaviour mentioned above will have to add different colors of sparks depending on the enemy's skin and the player will only be awarded points when the enemy has no armor or is underwater or is standing very close to the barrel of the gun.

At that point, you need to change things to award points depending on the origin and target of the shot, the size of the explosion, splash damage, maybe add points when a piece of debris from the explosion caused by the shot hits the enemy etc. And most of the elegance quickly disappears.

It is easier to hard-code it than build an overblown support infrastructure that would allow an elegant solution one layer above.

But this all depends, of course. If you have a fixed design and know it's not going to get crazily complicated later on, it's definitely possible to find a way to do it pretty nicely using one of the methods mentioned...

In Java I have found it quite powerful to use anonymous inner classes.

Like this:

Code:
    Bullet buildTimedExplodingBullet() {
      return new AbstractBulletBase() {
        public void getLifetime() {
          return 3; // -1 for infinite
        }
        public void onTimeout() {
          explodeSmall();
        }
        public void onHit(Actor a, Point pos) {
          explodeBig();
        };
    }
    and use buildTimedExplodingBullet() (or a Factory class if needed) in all guns that shoot this kind of bullets; use this method recursively to create new kinds of explosions...

8. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

But when you read a novel, you know it's not going to crash in someone elses code!

I think all this talk of which paradigms are best etc is pretty irrelevant tbh. I have no clue how anyone would classify the AI engine in my latest game, and yet it still seems to work. I classify it as "finished AI Code"

9. mot

mot
    Indie Author

And to comment on the original topic, the AspectJ toolkit specifically, while nicely integrated into Eclipse and all, is more a burden than help.

The problem is that it HIDES things from me. While I'm looking at a piece of code and wondering why it's not working, it hides the bits that get injected into different parts of the code, here and there, and there's no clear connection.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

With modern languages and tools it's possible to rapidly restructure your code to fit the problem quite naturally. No need to try to fit into academic paradigms.

10. Jesse Aldridge

Original Member

Since posting about this I've decided that the problems that AOP attempts to solve are better solved by using a more dynamic language, such as Python.

11. HairyTroll

Original Member

A lot of design patterns are like that too. Invented to get around limitations imposed by the C++ and Java object models.

12. Bad Sector

Original Member

In a little 2D flash-based engine i'm making i decided to try the whole behavioral idea. Here is an old version of the wiki page i use for this project (and the game about it) which describes briefly how it is used. The little pink sprite is controlled by two behaviors ("player" and "keyboard controlled"). It could do more, but at this point i was concerned more about making the art for the game than the code :)