Armand and the Foppish Hat

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by jhanson, Aug 8, 2008.

1. jhanson

Indie Author

Armand and the Foppish Hat is a short adventure game in the style of the classic NES and SNES Zelda games. It's a silly story about a heroic, but slightly pompous, swashbuckler whose favorite hat was stolen from him on his way to a party. Since a gentleman obviously cannot be seen without his hat, Armand must track down the thief and bring him to justice.

It's available as freeware for both Windows and Mac OS X. It's not a long game, as it is basically just a demo/test of the little engine I was working on, but it has a fun little plot.

Enjoy!

Windows XP version - http://jhanson.com/downloads/Armand-setup.exe
    Mac OS X version - http://jhanson.com/downloads/Armand.dmg
    The game's official website - http://jhanson.com/software/armand.html

Also, here's some screenshots (older version, but the graphics are the same):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 jhanson, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  2. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

Umm, why do you have Larry Elmore's signature on the character portrait? Somehow, I don't think you actually hired him to do art for your game.

3. jhanson

Indie Author

Actually, as I explain on my website I used the Larry Elmore Character Clip Art and Color Customizing Studio book for the character portraits. It allows you to use the portraits in your projects as long as you display the signature with them.

Here's the link to the book on Amazon (though it's no longer sold there, apparently) - http://www.amazon.com/Character-Clip-Color-Customizing-Studio/dp/B000WWBGPE

So in other words, no, I'm not doing anything shady.

#3 jhanson, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  4. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

Sorry I didn't check the website. I didn't mean to be accusatory... I've just seen people show up in the past here with games/websites that have sound or images that they ripped off from somewhere. Often, these people seem only vaguely aware that they're even doing anything wrong, so I thought I'd bring it up.

I'm on a PPC Mac, so I can't try the game yet, but it looks like good old school fun.

5. jhanson

Indie Author

No worries! Actually, I probably would have said the same thing. :)

I probably should have mentioned it in the first post, knowing that a keen eye would catch that little detail in a forum like this. I didn't mean to sound snarky in my reply, so I apologize if it came across that way. I was just making sure that anybody who came along and read this thread knew I wasn't trying to do anything illegal or immoral.

By the way, I plan to compile the PPC version over the weekend, and will post again here when I have swapped out the Intel Mac version for the Universal Binary version. Sorry for the delay!

6. jhanson

Indie Author

A new version has just been posted. It fixes an inventory bug that was found, but more importantly, the Mac OS X version is now a Universal Binary, so it will run on both Intel and PPC (G4/G5) Macs now. The download link is the same as above. Enjoy!