Area 61 - Hunt down aliens in this FPS.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by PickleJarGames, Jun 29, 2008.

1. PickleJarGames

PickleJarGames New Member

Hunt down aliens in this First Person Shooter and disable the flying saucer. Along the lines of effects and such, the gun and aliens are blinn-phong shaded, the terrain is parallax mapped and the environment is bump mapped. You can download it for free at http://picklejargames.com/

Made with the FreeVector engine available for free from http://www.bookshock.com/

REQUIRES PIXEL SHADER 2.0, Windows XP and DirectX9b

[​IMG]

2. Mattias Gustavsson

Original Member

I was going to try it out, but the requirements are too high for my laptop (might try it later on my desktop).

I know it's using some high-end graphical techniques, but judging from the screenshot, I don't think they are used to good effect - it's difficult to tell they're there...

This a free game, right? Then I guess it doesn't matter, but if you were selling it, I think it would hurt sales to not support non-shader gfx cards...

3. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Yeah, it looks neat enough that I would download and play it but since going indie. I develop on a low end consumer box so that I don't get performance surprises as I get close to shipping.

One thing that I have wondered is if some of these high end need games could be done with sprites that are rendered with software rendering at boot or installation?

4. PickleJarGames

>>but judging from the screenshot, I don't think they are used to good effect<<

You'd have to see it without effects to make a judgement like that.

This game isn't 'high end'. Pixel shader 3.0 is high end. XNA is high end. A pixel shader capable graphics card though, costs $50. Not very high end.

Anyways, thanks for your opinion.

5. Mattias Gustavsson

Original Member

If you say so.

6. Sybixsus

Original Member

Out of interest, are you actively seeking feedback?

7. PickleJarGames

>>Out of interest, are you actively seeking feedback?<<

From people who play the game, yes. I have a whole forum dedicated to feedback on the games. (All it got is a spam post about some MMORPG currency or something.)

http://www.picklejargames.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

8. electronicStar

Original Member

Did it really need parallax mapping for the terrain? parallax mapping is only effective on really complex textures (unless you're talking of lightmapping and not the "bumpmap-parallax" technique). Switching to non parallax could maybe lower the requirements?

9. Mattias Gustavsson

Original Member

Oh, didn't you see that bit: they're not high, appearently. :rolleyes:

10. Applewood

I find it pretty amazing that despite the need for a shader-capable video card, this game looks far worse than the original DOOM from what, 15 years ago ? Which apart from not needing advanced 3D boards, wasn't even *in* 3D.

If your texturing and environments are programmer art, there really is no point adding fancy shader techniques - it won't look any better and it reduces your audience. I would advise getting the game right and then contracting an artist to make it look good. He'll tell you what effects he'd like to pick from to get the mood right.

11. PickleJarGames

>>.this game looks far worse than the original DOOM<<

I'm just going to totally ignore that.

Anyways,

>>Did it really need parallax mapping for the terrain<<

No it's just the default shader that I made, but it does let you look at a point from different angles and see a different view. Makes a huge difference with a terrain. The shader though, does what you suggest. No pixel shader 2.0 then it defaults to a pixel 1.1 shader. However, the SOFT shadow mapping, the lighting for the pawns and the bump mapping all require pixel shader 2.0 so...

I see that this post is now just becoming a flamer affair though, so I'll take the hint and not post at this forum any longer. Oh well, my loss.

12. Reactor

PickleJarGames, just out of curiosity... do you like how the game looks?

13. Mattias Gustavsson

Original Member

Of course you are.

14. PickleJarGames

Mattias Gustavsson. Can I ask you exactly what your problem is?

This is a demo for my engine. The shaders are not "fancy" as some would assume. They are just the shaders I chose. This game was made in less then 3 weeks. Again, in testament to the engine. Eveyone here has something to 'teach' people though. Instead of that, why doesn't eveyone tell me how many games they sold online and how they did that. Isn't that the purpose of this forum? Or are new members just shunned?

#14 PickleJarGames, Jul 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  15. Mattias Gustavsson

Original Member

I have a problem when people post their game on public messageboards, and then can't take critisism (or even comments) gracefully.

You should be thankful that people even bother commenting on your game, not throw their comments back in their face. You don't have to agree with what people say, but why argue about it? Better then to not post about it in the first place then!

16. PickleJarGames

Well that's a valid argument, ok I won't bother you again.

PS - How many copies of your games have you sold in the last year?

17. Mattias Gustavsson

Original Member

I don't sell games anymore, but back when I did, they sold ok.

The most recent game I made for the download market, didn't do poorly either.

May I ask what that's got to do with you not wanting to hear anything bad about your game?

18. Nexic

Indie Author

Even as a tech demo made with no intention of selling this still needs a lot of work. You need people to think 'wow this engine can make cool games' so demos need to be of high quality even if they are lacking in content.

1. The head bob is insane, feels like you're jumping around the level.
    2. The contrast is up way to high.
    3. There are no sliding collisions, which means when you hit something you just stop dead in your tracks.
    4. The aliens don't animate very well
    5. The textures don't look very good.

19. PickleJarGames

>.May I ask what that's got to do with you not wanting to hear anything bad about your game?<<

Nothing. I just want to know how to sell indie games.

>>PickleJarGames, just out of curiosity... do you like how the game looks?<<

For a 7 meg download and the fact that all the models are prefab downloads from model sites.. do how I like how it looks? Yeah I do. It's not the best, but it's a demo.

20. PickleJarGames

1. The head bob is insane, feels like you're jumping around the level.
    2. The contrast is up way to high.
    3. There are no sliding collisions, which means when you hit something you just stop dead in your tracks.
    4. The aliens don't animate very well
    5. The textures don't look very good.

That is constructive criticism. Thanks, I will take all of those point into account. Except number 4. I suck at animating.