Are there any alternatives to Torque Game Builder for 2D games?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by sofakng, May 16, 2007.

1. sofakng

sofakng New Member

I've purchased Torque Game Builder but for different reasons I'm not very happy with it. (perhaps the main reason is lack of real-time networking support and very hard to understand C++ code)

So, I'm looking for alternative game engines/frameworks.

I'd like to create a Scorched Earth clone and perhaps a Nethack clone (using text-emulation but with a nice GUI, etc), but believe it or not it's quite difficult to create deformable 2D terrain!

Any suggestions are greatly appriciated :)

2. Diragor

Original Member

BlitzMax

PyGame and SDL (+ a binding for a language of your choice) might be worth checking out.

3. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Have you looked at the PopCap framework?

4. Backov

Original Member

If you can program C++, the Popcap game framework is nice.

If you're not concerned about compatibility with cards older than the GF4, then I highly recommend XNA Game Studio Express. It's pretty damn awesome. For 2d games, it's killer.

It's not a drag and drop thing like TGB though. You won't find many of those, and of that type, TGB is just about the most capable.

5. Jesse Hopkins

Jesse Hopkins New Member

---------------

#5 Jesse Hopkins, May 16, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  6. Dyno Kid

Indie Author

There's also Gamemaker 7 (vista compatable) Click and drag and its own GML code for more advanced users.

Several games have been distributed using it.

Saves games to an exe so there ready to go.

Darren.

#6 Dyno Kid, May 16, 2007
    Last edited: May 16, 2007
  7. Emmanuel

Moderator Original Member

For C++, there is also ptk ($200) which we are still using for our upcoming title, and playground (free, read the license though).

TGB is a completely different beast though, closer to Gamemaker. Both products above plus the popcap framework require programming everything from the bottom up, instead of top-down like TGB does.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

8. mot

mot
    Indie Author

All C++ code is hard to read. Why don't you just find a networking library?
    Raknet for instance... since it's a library and not a framework, it should
    co-exist with Torque without problems.

9. Backov

Original Member

That's somewhat inaccurate. It is only true if you want to deploy to XBox, then you have to use XACT. Otherwise you are free to use any library you can interface to .Net on windows.

10. Jesse Hopkins

Jesse Hopkins New Member

---------------

#10 Jesse Hopkins, May 16, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  11. sofakng

sofakng New Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

What would you say is the MOST feature complete but yet easiest to use and expand?

Torque (and it's related products) and very, very feature complete but I find it extremely difficult to expand or do anything outside of what they want you to do. Trying to add RakNet to Torque Game Builder is an excercise in pain.

Really all I want is a library that has built-in GUI support, bitmap font support, and is still being updated (eg. ClanLib seems neat but it hasn't been updated in years I don't think).

Keep the suggestions coming! :)

12. Backov

Original Member

That's the Popcap game framework. It's 2d only and you have to program in C++.

13. woo

woo
    Original Member

Why use rak-net when, with a license for TGE, you've got a great real time networking code base for torque? Sure it takes some work, but real time networking in any game engine is going to take a lot of work. Might as well reap the benefits of a good 2d engine like TGB so you have more time to futz with the networking layer. That being said, TorqueX or straight up XNA are probably going to be the easiest to code your real time networking from scratch. Good luck!
    -Andrew Douglas
    http://theoreticalgames.com

14. datxcod

Original Member

sofakng

Clanlib has been updated, and it hasn't been abandoned, you can get the SVN version with the latest fixes.

As an example of a product using clanlib check:

http://www.rtsoft.com/novashell/

It's basically what it says, a Game Creation System, sort of like game maker but pumped up with physics, AI system, with hardware acceleration using OGL.

It's being developed by Seth (aka mrfun everywhere).

The only problem with clanlib (otherwise I think it's the best lib out there, it is stupidly easy to get a project started with clanlib) is that it uses OpenGL (no alternative DirectX renderer).

15. spellcaster

Original Member

Is the PopCap framework windows only, or does it support the mac as well?

16. barrygamer

Original Member

Unless something changed lately, its windows only. Thats why I switched to PTK. Both are nice to work with, Popcap has a bit more funcionality (UI widgets, plus a few more graphics fns, IIRC). PTK is great though. There were a few rumours of a mac port of Popcap (see their dev forums), but nothing official I think. Seems a little odd, you would think Popcap would want easy mac ports asap themselves (?). Perhaps popcap framework is too tied to directx.

For completeness, Kyra is also nice cross-platform open-source C++ games lib (windows/mac/linux), built on SDL. I had a good play with it, pretty neat actually. Not sure its been used for many commerical games.
    [Edit: just remembered, GBgames on this forum is using Kyra]

17. amaranth

Original Member

If you use Torque 2D, I guarantee that you will need to do some engine development if you want to get your game listed on some of the big portals. There are lots of video issues to worry about. If you ask me, it's not really ready for casual game development. I'm trying to get a casual game dev guide out for Torque 2D, but my time is really crunched right now. It should show you how to fix a number of engine problems.

18. roussec

roussec New Member

Can you elaborate on this? I have not heard of any video specific problems or seen any.

19. Greg Squire

Original Member

I wasn't aware you had to go and modify the engine source code for Grimm's Hatchery. They are always touting that you don't have to do that. ;) I too (like many) have a love hate relationship with Torque. It has a lot power, but there some little things that can drive you nuts. Do you know if they are going to be addressing any of these video problems in the TGB 1.5 Beta?

I'd be interested in that casual game dev guide for TGB when you finally get around to it. (Though I really dread messing around in that engine code).

20. Greg Squire

Original Member

Back on the topic; Here's the main options for 2D engines that I'm aware of (Most already mentioned):

Torque Game Builder (You already know the good and bad of this one)
    BlitzMax (Stable - Lots of commercial games made with Blitz stuff)
    The Games Factory (Catcus Bruce made with it, I believe)
    Games Maker (Not sure how many big games have been made with it)
    PTK (many commercial games made with it, but it is C++)
    Popcap Framework (many commercial games made with it obviously, but it is C++)
    XNA (Microsoft's new platform - C# based, and there's also Flat Red Ball which is built on top of XNA)

Of course there's a zillion 2D engines out there, but these are the one's that I hear the most about.