Archiving Dexterity.com Forums

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Dan MacDonald, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Dexterity.com has been up and down quite a bit today. Largely because of various people running scripts they have written to grab the content from the dexterity forums. This wouldn't be that much of problem normally, except the scripts appear to be running full speed and eating up all of the webserver’s resources, acting as a denial of service attack.

Steve has been very accommodating in talking to us about preserving the forums and getting access to the old content. I don't think there's any need for individuals to archive the dexterity forums. If you really must have a copy and you’re reading this, I'd ask that you throttle your scripts so that they do not interrupt the operations the dexterity.com site.

2. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

Yeah it's down again...

Steve Pavlina has been kind enough to run the forums for 2+ years, and it just doesn't seem fair that his business should suffer as a result of people trying to grab that content. I'm sure Dan will work something out for getting the Dexterity forums archived and over here.

3. Nikster

Original Member

tbh, I think steve should close down the dexterity dev forums and keep his non dev side open with a message to come here.. somehow I think asking people not to do it sin't going to help (especially if there not on these forums and are just guests, as you can read the forums without being registered on here and dexterity site) it sucks totally... :mad: some people....

4. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

Ugh...I would think people would know better not to do something like that. This is a horrible send-off for Steve after all he has done for the community.

Argg, it just makes me mad thinking that he's losing sales over this... :mad:

5. Cartman

Indie Author

Sounds like It's A Wonderful Life.

Oh no! It's a run on the Bedford Falls Savings and Loan. Everyone hurry and get your money out before it goes under.

6. Jonas

Indie Author

Do doubt, that is total BS folks. Looks like this site is working today, but thats really really an uncool thing to do.

Just Let Dan and crew work out something with Steve to get the posts moved over.