Aquaria (released)

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by lakibuk, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Grey Alien

Indie Author

yep, save Crystals are very Playstation 1 and if you are a busy person you want instant save any time.

2. vjvj

Indie Author

I haven't finished the demo yet, but I'm well into the shooting part of it and it definitely picks up after that point.

But yeah, so far that has to be my primary gripe. It's some combination of the levels being too large/vast/open-ended, or the character swimming too slow, or something. I think some tighter level design would have help. Many of the large areas are kinda pointless, with nothing going on.

3. andrew

andrew New Member

Played the demo. It has an excellent "feel" to it... very polished, great music/soundtrack work, nice art direction, controls are very fluid, etc...

Unfortunately, the design just felt lacking after a while. Demo is way too slow and boring, and it seemed like it took hours to get to unlock the basic mechanics. Perhaps it does get more interesting in the full version, but I wasn't hooked enough by the demo to spend $30 on it. (Is it just me, or does that price point seem slightly high?)

- andrew

4. papillon

Indie Author

I don't really see the slow-boring comments... but perhaps because I am the sort of person who quickly turns to walkthroughs when confused. I can't imagine how long it might have taken me to figure out some of the things one has to do to finish the demo...

I quite enjoy the atmosphere and would be perfectly happy just swimming around singing to the fish and raising an underwater garden, if they want to make a more casual game in the same universe. :)

As for the full game, I'm not buying it yet - first because I do tend to hesitate on $30 games and second because I want a very detailed walkthrough available before I attempt to go any further! :)

5. Drake

Indie Author

I played through the demo and really enjoyed it. The pacing seemed deliberate to me - not to the point of being flawed, but then it's a matter of taste and expectations.

If they want to emphasize the shooting a bit more, I think they could do it by extending that first dream/vision sequence. As it is, they give you the Energy Form, but then you get overwhelmed before you have a chance to get a feel for the shooting (and you could easily swim to your "death" without realizing that you have the shooting ability at all). If they gave you a few enemies to pick off, and maybe a tutorial prompt or two, they could make the action elements much more clear in the first hour.

Overall, I was impressed by what I saw of the world design - I thought it was very Zelda-y, with mysteries out in the open, and many areas that you make a mental note to return to later. The Metroid vibe is strong, too, in both the enemy design and the general atmosphere (...and then you find the statue with a ball in its outstretched hand... 'nuff said :) ).

Also: the music has been stuck in my head for two days now.

6. Midnight Synergy

Indie Author

It's a beautiful game, no doubt about it.

It looks like something that I could really get into, if I had more time to play games. Alas, this is not the case. I do think the design could have been tweaked a little bit more for the beginning. Many things are not obvious (e.g. singing to open flowers - I had no idea that I had to HOLD the note until I read about it here) and the lack of a save-anywhere function really kills the ability to play this game as a break (as you never know how much further you'll have to play in order to save again).

7. Grey Alien

Indie Author

8. DerR

DerR New Member

I bought the game because I really love it. The quality of the hand-drawn graphics and the music remind me a lot of Albion, my all-time favourite Computer RPG. The story reminds me a bit of Terranigma, an old SNES RPG I really love aswell.

You might argue that the game has slow progress but I don't feel the time passing when playing it.. you get completely lost in the world. The game already kept me entertained much longer than many industry pro titles out there and I am still not through with it. :)

9. vjvj

Indie Author

Also (because I can't shut up about this game), the Aquaria demo release made the front page on Gamespot PC:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/index.html?tag=nav-top;pc&navclk=pc

At the time of this writing, it's the first tab in the front page slideshow. That is awesome! Way to go Gamespot for covering indie stuff, and way to go Bit-Blot.

10. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Yep that is certainly cool, getting a game on the front page there! wow.

11. barrygamer

Original Member

I tried it, and although the graphics are indeed great I got little satisfaction from actually playing it so far. I think I was perhaps not in a patient mood. I will certainly try it again from the start, and just go slowly exploring, paying more attention.

You'll probably think I'm mad, but my brain really wanted this to play like the classic 'Scuba Dive' (ZX Spectrum, 1983). But clearly its nothing like it :rolleyes: (Edit: scuba dive on Youtube )

#31 barrygamer, Dec 12, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  12. lakibuk

Indie Author

ad Gamespot: Well deserved. I wonder how many downloads and sales this feature will bring.

13. Grey Alien

Indie Author