Approaching review sites

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by kglarsen, Mar 31, 2010.

1. kglarsen

kglarsen New Member

I was wondering what the best strategy is to getting reviews of your game, I have the following thought:

Would it be a "good" strategy to first contact "low-key" blogs and sites and once you get some reviews from them, then you can use them as a reference when contacting larger reviewers?
    I mean, will it be a plus if your game already has good reviews when contacting other reviewers?

Another thing is:
    When approaching eg. german review sites, it is an advantage to have your E-mail and press releases translated into german, or isn't it worth the time and trouble?

2. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

Approach them all, big or small it doesn't matter but make sure they review games for your target platform, language etc... Just be professional and polite =)

If the game has a german translation then get a email and all PR info in german, otherwise if it's in english just stick with that. That way it is clear to them the game is in english and isn't translated at all.

Just be weary of the game being released to people you don't want it when you send them a review copy, helps if it's an online game, as you make them a review account and if it hasn't been reviewed within a couple of months you can just deactivate the account.

Good luck, also follow them up if nothing has happened after a couple of months. Sometimes things do get mixed up along the way.

3. Obscure

Indie Author

The best way to get reviews is to contact the press before your game is ready for review. You need to build relationships so that they know who you are and what your game is. Having a game you never heard of, from a developer you don't know, drop on your desk means it will likely be at the bottom of the review pile.

As above, if it is review time now then go ahead and contract everyone. Don't wait because if you wait until small sites review your game it will seem old to the bigger sites and many won't bother.

Good luck, have fun.

4. rcburrell

rcburrell New Member

I agree with lightassassin: send some info every which way you can. The thing to keep in mind is that reviews sites and blogs (big and small) are constantly hungry for new content. Providing them with another thing to add to their repertoire of reviews will be a boon for their SEO, readers, ad revenue, etc. and benefit you in the end as well.

But, a word of caution: Like any sort of social content, it can backfire. Negative reviews can work against you in the same way that positive ones can. And once it's out there, it's out there forever (or until the telepathic space grubs invade the earth).

5. AlexO

AlexO New Member

Another bit of helpful advice for getting reviewers to respond is keep your e-mails to the point.
    I found reviewers were a bit more responsive when the e-mails were shorter, still polite/interesting, but didn't appear to be a wall of text. This seemed to help with "cold e-mails", before building relationships with those people.

And just in general when using e-mail: be clear with what it is you want. The harder you make it for the reader to decipher what it is you want and think up an answer and reply the longer that e-mail will sit before they get to it, if at all.

#5 AlexO, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010