Apple Warns Developers Not to Manipulate App Store Charts

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by HarryBalls, Feb 7, 2012.

1. HarryBalls

HarryBalls
    Expand Collapse

2. Applewood

Applewood
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Yeah, seen some posts from people who've been approached complaining about this.

I've learned the hard way that chart placement doesn't make that much difference to sales, so bless those cheats for pissing their money away.

(We got to #4 in the top paid apps chart for a day from switching back to paid after a giveaway promo shifting half a million copies in a week). Sales on that first day back as paid were about 10% up on the previous paid day thanks to in-app purchases from those given away to. No notable extra sales spike from the day we were on the top row of icons on the main chart at all. And I do mean none at all. Did a presentation online about it and several other "names" agreed with me.

3. ryansumo

ryansumo
    Expand Collapse

Interesting, How exactly were they manipulating the charts?

I'm always suspicious of someone who asks for money first before providing results.

4. Applewood

Applewood
    Expand Collapse

I think you can accomplish anything once you've had a good nights sleep tbh...

5. ryansumo

ryansumo
    Expand Collapse

Heh, I must be missing something here, that comment totally flew right by me.

6. terin

terin
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Ive watched (not very closely) people manipulate the charts on both droid and iOS. From what I hear it really is stupid-easy and while I have not actually done it (Nor any of my clients) we have certainly looked into it. The numbers tend to be in the realm of 10,000 for top 15, maybe 15,000. As Paul says its unclear how much that is actually worth in terms of exposure, though I am a bit surprised the increase was so minimal. The mystery problem here is how do you make your product get found easier in the store? I'm skeptical that web based ads will have any impact and I have seen no evidence that in-app ads have any positive ROI. Where does that leave you to actually 'work' to get noticed?

That said our next game will drop a few grand on some web based ads on key iOS sites. We'll see if we feel it was worthwhile after and post the results.

7. Applewood

Applewood
    Expand Collapse

Looking forward to seeing those results, Joe. My early guess is "minimal". Nothing in the mobile gaming world makes sense - and it really doesn't, I'm speaking from both experience and shared conversations with other devs.

8. Applewood

Applewood
    Expand Collapse

I think the mods have finally delete that bell end who spammed every single forum with some crap about buying a bed. :)

9. Bad Sector

Bad Sector
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Oh great. I was working with someone writing a game for iOS and he wanted to go to one of these companies to make sure the game goes high in the charts because otherwise it wouldn't stand a chance. Now i feel so justified that i insisted to avoid this sort of companies (although my reasoning was mostly about the game being in their focus only as long as the next game comes along since they have no investment on it and all it takes for a top 100 to be filled is 100 people doing that :p).

10. SLotman

SLotman
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member Indie Author

Exactly how someone could manipulate the charts? Is that even possible?
    Is this just a scam, or do they have a lot of android devices to install any app?
    (I'm just interested to know how it all works, even if that was true, I can't afford 5 grand to try it :p)

11. ryansumo

ryansumo
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure if you've all read this post, but it's quite informative about the range of success one might find in the app store.

My own read re: marketing your game is a) not to spend money on adverts unless you have a publisher doing that for you and b) just try every kind of viral marketing possible and hope something hits. People all have success for different reasons it seems, be it a blog, a free web version, contacts in Apple, etc.

12. SLotman

SLotman
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member Indie Author

Hey, thanks for that post, very informative!

13. JGOware

JGOware
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

You can pay a "service" to purchase 100's, 1000's of your game which will bump of your sales ranking. Yes it does work. I am glad Apple is doing something about this, because it will level the playing field a little bit.