Apple playing games with app royalties?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by dustin1138, Apr 5, 2011.

1. dustin1138

Original Member

Can other Apple app developers offer some input on this?

I'd been following my sales over the month of February on itunesconnect's "Sales and Trends" and had a good handle on how many I'd sold. Or so I thought. Now that the quarter has ended, Apple's reporting the sales and monies owed for the month of February in the "Payments and Financial Reports" section and it is 65%(!) lower than the number reported in sales and trends.

I emailed them and asked why there's such a massive difference. They came back with an unhelpful, generic "everthing is fine" response and said that eventually it'll all work out. But at no time did they offer an explination as to why the number of sold units in "Sales and Trends" was nearly 3 times as many as was reported in the "Payments and Financial reports" page.

Anyone else had a similar experience with this?

2. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

3. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes I saw that and many other developers confirmed this. In practice, you can throw in the toilet all the daily / weekly report: the only one that matter is the monthly one...

(and people ask me why I'm not interested on iOS :rolleyes:)

4. dustin1138

Original Member

Hah, thankfully I've only had one chargeback so far!

But I got another email from Apple which helped clear things up. For those that might care, here's what happened:
    The financial page lists all sales in February. Um, not exactly "all". It's the February dates that fall in the fiscal calendar (up to the 27) and, more importantly, exclude any purchases that might have still been pending (which can be 3-4 days) processing. It would be nice if the chart made some mention of that fact, but at least now I know. When I factor this into the equation then the numbers seem to line up much better.

It sucks that I'll have to wait 3 more months to get sales from last month. But hey, it's their football so they get to call the plays. I can live with that.

5. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

They are not treating devs like proper business partners then. Steam and stardock and gamersgate all pay me in elss than half that time. If apple take longer, they are just enjoying the interest on develoeprs royalties.
    And they wonder why indie devs prefer to go it alone?

Sell direct, you get ALL the money, and you get paid right away...

6. jcottier

jcottier New Member

I don't have to wait 3 months but just one. Witch is completely acceptable. For example they paid me February incomes on the 31th of march.

JC

7. JoKa

Indie Author

3 months...that's the "applified" version of a usual portal payment delay :rolleyes:

Edit: why do devs report such different payment cycles?

8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes indeed. I am not paid directly but the people who ported my games pay me every month, not every 3 months. Maybe the first time only is delayed by 3 months?

9. arzi

Metacritic 75+ Indie Author

Nope, they pay every month. Each month is paid in the end of the month following it (as in the example above). There's a limit of $100, though, if they owe you less than that, they'll not pay until that limit is reached.

I haven't had any trouble with Apple payments. It's also stated pretty clearly in the iTunes Connect page that the Sales and Reports are not 100% reliable.

10. dustin1138

Original Member

Thanks for clearing that up guys!

So the fiscal quarters are split into periods and they pay each period. That makes more sense. I understand that the sales and trend info is far from precise but when you get told you're getting paid 1/3 of what you're expecting then you can understand why a guy would be concerned.

It's nice to know it'll be rolling out next month.

11. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Hmm I had the same. Only 1 sale in Feb, doesn't even show on Financial report. 19 in March yet only 7 on the report, so only 1/3rd have shown up!! What gives?

12. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Yep, paid monthly here. Also, they split sales up in to several world regions; so sales per region have to be above a certain threshold ($150 I think) before they pay out, for that particular region.

13. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Not sure if it is your problem but .... you have to wait to receive all the reports... it takes fews days for all the regions.

JC

14. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Interestingly If I go to the Earnings tab of the financial reports there's a droplist that says All Regions, and Amercas. But no other regions. I know I've sold some copies in Europe so I find it odd that they are not on the report. Crappy Apple.

15. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Like I said:
    WAIT :)
    They will appears when you receive the other regional reports.

JC

16. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Their online reports are a joke. If you haven't done it yet:
    *create a Sales user in itunes connect
    * register at www.appannie.com

you won't regret it.

JC

17. Grey Alien

Indie Author

@jcottier: Ha you posted your WAIT port whilst I was writing mine. OK good to know, I'll wait then. Yeah I have created an appannie account, much better. I can't believe how stinky the apple reports are compared to say Reflexive's old system. Mind you at least we can query them daily unlike many big portals...