app verifier for mem checking?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by zoombapup, Sep 30, 2010.

1. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

2. vjvj

Indie Author

This looks pretty cool; thanks for sharing!

3. cliffski

this not only claimed to find lots of heap problems I know I don't have, but to actually stop it running invisibly and forever, I had to UNINSTALL the darned thing.
    Yuck :(

4. zoombapup

Fair enough, with your bed of money you can afford purify :)

5. BarrySlisk

Original Member

You are not a very positive guy are you?

6. princec

Indie Author

Hmm but how can you be sure now?

Cas :)

7. cliffski

wtf?

im saying what my experience of this software was
    i won't bother next time

8. Bad Sector

Original Member

Or keep his bed of money, port the game to Linux and/or Mac and use Valgrind. As a bonus he'll also have a Linux and/or Mac version to sell.

Using Valgrind is tragically easy. You just put "valgrind " in front of your executable and it tells you where your code does bad stuff :).

9. vjvj

Indie Author

Is Purify any good, BTW? At my last contract job, we were talking about grabbing some eval licenses but never got around to it. Is it The New Boundschecker?

10. zoombapup

Yeah, purify is far far better than boundschecker. Its also far more expensive :)

Boundschecker does some really annoying dumb stuff like instrument windows calls and tell you where loads of leaks are in the windows funcs. So you end up having to exclude huge portions of code to get around that.

Purify really seems to put code through its paces. We used that and lint and boundschecker and everything else we could use, because the cost of those tools is ultimately small in comparison to the cost of dev and having bugs on release.

I'd recommend it if youre developing apps on windows machines and have a decent enough budget.