Anyone Play Pen & Paper RPGs?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by robobrain, Nov 3, 2011.

1. robobrain

robobrain New Member

Thoughts? Any games running?

I've been running a Deathwatch campaign for about 3 months now after not playing any for about 15 years. I have to say it's still fun and brings a lot of new ideas to the table.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

2. Ikkyu

Ikkyu New Member

It's been a long while since I've played, but it is one of the pending things that I have for this year. My experience is that playing whatever you can get your hands on (board games, card games, anything) is crucial to get an open mind when it comes to new mechanics and new ideas. And a lot of the industry does that, I remember a presentation in the GDC China some years ago where this was discussed and it is VERY prevalent. In my current company, playing is also very encouraged, though board and card games are usually preferred.

3. robobrain

robobrain New Member

There are some really nice board games out these days. I've been playing Carcassonne a lot. I know it's not that new anymore though. Do you have any to recommend?

4. terin

Original Member

Me and the gang play every friday... going on over 6 years now... mostly board games, sometimes P&P RPGs.

Our most played eurogame is Agricola, no doubt about it.

I personally would also recommend Wealth of Nations, Mission Red Planet, Through the Ages... I could go on... but those 4 games would likely last you many months of replay and are among the best games out of the 50 or so we've played in 6 years.

5. papillon

Indie Author

Irregularly play tabletop and freeforms (with the first, trouble with timing keeping a consistent group together, with the second, space and time requirements are such that it's largely once or twice a year). A little bit of board and card gaming as well, although I'm the type that tends to dislike highly competitive games in person so I often end up spectating.

Small World is one I've had a good time with, although I have some issues with some of the art/expansions. It's hard being a geek girl sometimes. :)

6. Agent 4125

Indie Author

Funny you mention it. My latest project is a web-based tabletop RPG. =)

http://tabletopquest.com/ (tentative title)

The focus is more on the free-form storytelling side of RPGs, and the main app is written in JavaScript.

Otherwise, my tabletop gaming has mostly been modern board/card games, but I've enjoyed running a few games of Paranoia XP. There are also a couple of indie RPGs I wouldn't mind trying, like Dread.

7. Allen Varney

Original Member

Cool, I designed that! http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=755

For the last six or seven years there's been explosive design innovation in indie tabletop RPGs. It's a Golden Age. It originated in the community on The Forge and became popular with breakthrough games like My Life With Master, Dogs in the Vineyard, and Spirit of the Century. I don't know how many of their ideas could adapt well to an indie computer game, but it's definitely worth a look.

Any list of recent excellent board or card games must include Dominion, which will obsess your entire gaming group for months on end.

8. Davidgraey

Davidgraey New Member

I play everything I can get my hands on, from Chainmail back in the day to the eurogames that are finally getting the success they deserve.

Tabletop gaming is one of the best ways to get away from (or get inspired to modify) the standard set of mechanics that many video games get stuck in. RPG games are also great for exploring characters and story creation, and for honing your writing in general.

9. robobrain

robobrain New Member

Cool! I signed up for the beta. That looks like a great idea.

10. johnson0007

johnson0007 Guest

when I was playing the cricket match, it's very nice to me. now four years later, I am a web designer and I have not time for play. I really love cricket.
    thank u
    surjivan resort

11. princec

Indie Author

Every Sunday for the last 5 years. Whole variety of systems. We take it in turns to DM every 6-9 months.

Cas :)