Anyone developing a game that is starting from nothing?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by DorkyDamsel, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Ninplayer89

Ninplayer89 New Member

Me and my friend are new to game development, we've learned how to use the engine and still learning to program, our background is Digital Art (3D modeling, painting in Photoshop) so we can build the assets, just programming is our greatest challenge that we face right now.

2. andrefbatista

andrefbatista New Member

Hi, I was in the exact situation few weeks ago. During a insomnia night :( I got a ideia for a Beer game. Next day I started to think in the mechanics and how everything was going to work. In my opinion, the most important at the beginning is to think how the game is going to work. Sometime you think in a ideia that works amazing in your head, but when you start to create, does not seems so fun (already happende to me, several times). You can do this in several ways, if you have some DEV ability start a simple project in unity or other engine, with no design, just blocks for test the gameplay, or ask help to a Dev friend. Or even create models playable in paper (analogic way!), when you got satisfied with the basic mechanics it´s time to think in history, characters, more mechanics and so on. I think it´s very important focus on the core mechanic of the game, if the main mechanic works well all the rest will fit :)

About my game, me (game designer) and a dev friend started the prototype in Unity3D. It´s been 2 weeks of development now and we already have a playable mobile prototype. Needs more adjustments, but I think now we have a really nice game. The plan is start the design and art process in the next 2 months.

So good luck with your game! :)

4MobileGamer.com likes this.
  3. 4MobileGamer.com

4MobileGamer.com New Member

Actually i don't suggest you to make the game by yourself, except if you have already knowledge and interest.

The best is to let everyone do their job because they are the best at it.

If you have a great story but are poor to design or develop a games .. your games will not be great because it's will not be exactly as you wanted.
    Then you will have lost time doing your project, ( that still a good experience )

The best would be to find a team who like your idea and help you to realize it.
    But most of the time people think they can create a good game alone and no need someone to told them how it should do.

What Andre said is totally true,
    I'm in the same position, unable to develop game but had good knowledge and idea of mobile game.
    What to do ?

Last night i said okay, i can't make a game it will cost me thoushand of dollar ...
    What should i do ?

Why no just start to make the game concept small with the important feature of the game and see how it work ...
    Then after you have your main feature... you can find easily people to help you make the game.
    Or you can even invest your own money to hire developer to do it if you are so confident .

andrefbatista likes this.
  4. Damgraf

Damgraf New Member

5. Hardeep Singh

Hardeep Singh New Member

Hi
    I am a programmer currently learning
    Game development. I have tried unity game engine and tried unreal engine also.These game engines are good for developing video games.
    I suggest you to watch unity tutorials on their website.
    I wish it will help you

6. Autumn Lynx

Autumn Lynx New Member

i don't call inspiration nothing really!

7. TheGreatNero

TheGreatNero New Member

Aloha!
    But even if someone is a little bit afraid of coding. There are very elegant and fast learnable scripting languages in some Engines, like Adventure Game Studio (AGS) or the new Godot Game Engine with its built-in GDScript. I even learnt programming by myself with AGS and it wasn't too hard.

I started my project around Christmas last year using the Godot Game Engine. It's my third game and shall be the first one I am able to release. So you could say I have some experience with Game Engines.

Like said before, I would also recommend 2D graphics for longer games. You shouldn't start with 3D however you can use it for rather small projects.

andrefbatista likes this.