Any suggestions for making a 3D game?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Torsh, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Torsh

Torsh New Member

I started using Construct for a long while. It fit me perfectly, and I was able to make games with it.

Then I got an idea for a 3D game that I really wanted to make. It's quite simple and involves simple geometry and some physics in an open space. The problem is, I don't really have good experience with traditional languages and am not sure where to go. Haven't gotten many suggestions. Really the tool that I've gotten used to is Construct. So I need an easy transition but one that is not too difficult for making a simple game.

2. jpoag

jpoag New Member

3. Torsh

Torsh New Member

Really? I tried it out and it seemed a bit complicated and messy.

4. jpoag

jpoag New Member

Perhaps it would be easier to find someone else to do it for you?

5. KarsonKimbrel

KarsonKimbrel New Member

I think Unity 3D or the jMonkey engine (Java) are pretty good.

6. Torsh

Torsh New Member

Right now I'm trying to set up a skybox in Unity. I find it difficult and confusing even with the tutorials.

7. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

Unfortunately for you, it's about as simple it gets with a decent amount of power. =(

Maybe start with some map editing for some older games to get use to such things? I personally started making maps for Warcraft 2, then moved to Counter-Strike maps for 3d.

8. arzi

Metacritic 75+ Indie Author

There's also UDK. I haven't used it so I have no idea whether setting up a skybox is easier than in Unity or not. I think the major flaws are the proprietary scripting language and the licensing scheme (you'll have to pay a royalty for sales exceeding $50k), but it might still be what you're looking for.

9. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

Having used both, I can tell you that unless you have previous unreal experience that unity is easier to start with.

Stick with unity, or go back to something 2d and practice some 3d mapping.

10. anpd

Indie Author

You can make basic 3d games with gamemaker

11. Torsh

Torsh New Member

Might be a little too basic for me.

I've made 3D levels in DeleD.

12. anpd

Indie Author

If GameMaker is to basic and Unity to advanced I think it will be hard to find something suitable. Try something like 3d GameStudio maybe.

13. Torsh

Torsh New Member

Looks like I'll have to learn to use Unity. You seem to get a lot more for "free" with it.

14. lTyl

lTyl New Member

Check out Unity Game Development Essentials by Will Goldstone (Packt Publishing) or Unity 3D Game Development by Example by Ryan Henson Creighton (Also Packt Publishing). Both books go over the Unity UI and teach you how to make a fairly basic 3D game step-by-step so you can get a good handle on the User Interface and features. The only downside is they were written when Unity was Unity 2, so some things may no longer be the same in the newer versions. I'm sure there are newer books out there though covering the newer versions of Unity if you look though.