Any ideas on how to make this game more appealingg?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by meds, Apr 21, 2011.

1. meds

meds New Member

Long ago I made the WP7 game 'Meteor Mania'.

It is at its heart a ridiculously simple game, the objective is basically to shoot rockets at incoming meteors and destroy them before they destroy the city, there are some power ups thrown in such as health regen and 'scatter shots' for good measure but relaly that's bouat as deep as it is.

I'm currently in the process of porting the game to iphone, android and the interwebs (hopefully) but rather than doing a straight up port I'm re-writing pretty much everything. I have the same assetts but I'm using an all new engine and the game side code has literally nothing in common with the original game code. i'm not even kidding here, it's all 100% new.

Now what I'd like to do is make the game more appealing to the average mobile gamer. I'm not exactly sure why but a lot of gamers simply did not enjoy this game. Obviously it's their right not to but I'm at a loss as to how I could make the game such that they would have fun playing it.

I'm almost thinking that maybe this type of game just can't get very popular because a lot of people simply don't enjoy this type of gameplay.

Still i'm open to any and all suggestions, gameplay tweeks, art tweeks, whatever tweeks :D

2. ionside

ionside New Member

This is only a suggestion, but the first thing I think it's missing is variation. This is quite a game changer but how about if you have a large meteor that moves down extremely slowly, so you need to juggle between attacking that before it hits, as well as the smaller meteors?
    As I said, only a suggestion, but it might spring other ideas for you. :)

3. Pallav Nawani

Indie Author

I don't know how your game worked, but the thing about mobiles is that they're really not designed for gaming. The issue is typically the controls. Mobile buttons are too small to easily press, so if your game uses a lot of buttons, most people will not be able to play the game.

The key here is accessibility - keeping the controls simple, and not fighting the input device. The touch pad is good for tapping. The accelerometer is good for some rotating. So build your game around it.

Here's a basic idea: There is a cannon at the bottom of the screen, and asteroids are coming from other sides. Tap at the asteroid to turn the cannon in that direction and fire. Tilt the phone side to side to slide cannon along the bottom of screen to dodge the asteroids.

Edit: The drawback to this idea is that it is repetitive. Looking at the video of your game, it has the same problem. If you want to sell a game for money, you need to have levels with some variety.

4. meds

meds New Member

That's actually a very good suggestion, I originally avoided it because I figured such a thing wouldn't make sense. Perhaps there could be other things you're not meant to hit like space shuttles coming in for landing, and even throw in some airplanes you have to protect from meteors...

But hey, who cares about sense? Fun is where it's at :D

The way you describe it is pretty much how the game works ;) You tap a point and a missile is fired towards it The sliding idea is new though, might consider it :)

#4 meds, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  5. electronicStar

Original Member

:The graphics are nice but could be improved. The builidngs look really very generic,the background lacks a bit of sthg to make it stand out. also your missile launchers look like programmer art.

As for gameplay:you could improve it by adding upgrades, that's usually how it's done in this genr of game.
    Also is it just one long level or is it divided into small levels?
    Generally the simple fact of dividing into small levels, even without changing anything between level, will increase playability because the player will want to go further than the previous time. Having levels is a way to quantify progress.

6. inverse

Original Member

So... it's basically Missile Command?

A few thoughts:
    -It looks like it could be made a bit harder - slower moving missiles?
    -Do launchers ever get destroyed?
    -Break it down into stages that gradually increase in difficulty, but give you an opportunity to return to full health.
    -Mostly, the pacing seems off. Slow everything down at the start, gradually ramp up the meteor speed and numbers, and make faster missiles an earned power-up.
    -It shouldn't just wear you down gradually, you should get to an "oh crap" moment.
    -Basically, you would need to play the power-up meta-game well to have any hope as the game progresses.

I hope that helps, or at least spurs some new ideas. :)

7. meds

meds New Member

I was thinking of having 'waves' of meteors, but it's always the same place. Not too sure I want to spend money on having different locations tbh...

Nah, missile command is more puzzle, this is very arcadey twitch reflex type stuff...

#7 meds, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  8. Pallav Nawani

Indie Author

Even if you did add more locations, it won't be useful if the gameplay always remains the same! That's why I feel that you need a design change of some kind to allow for levels.

9. Allen Varney

Original Member

One of the fun parts of Missile Command was sweeping the cursor across the screen while slamming the fire button repeatedly, and this whole chain of explosions would bloom along the path. It was both exciting and pretty. Is it possible to work in a multi-touch gesture where the player uses one finger traces the path, and must tap with a second finger to set up the targets along the path? The point is to introduce a new skill element to master.

The player's declining health levels should be indicated by visual feedback onscreen. In watching the video you posted, I was surprised by the "Game Over" notice, because I hadn't tracked the symbols disappearing at the upper left. The firing stations at the bottom should change color or throb or something.

10. meds

meds New Member

I've been considering making the game in portrait rather than landscape, I made a video of it: http://jabberworx.net/mmd.wmv Do you guys think that is better or worse than having it in landscape?

Looking at it like that I almost want to add tower defense elements to the game...

Yeah I definitely should find a way to make it more obvious...

Hmm maybe, but I think this type of game would benefit more from gameplay mechanics rather than new levels for diversity. I'm not too sure how I'd even go about having different levels...

11. scourcese

scourcese New Member

Any ideas on how to make this game more appealingg

I like this new one for the most part, but the only ten votes part sucks because i cant vote for all the ideas that i really want implemented. If it was 25 votes for example then i would like it more

12. meds

meds New Member

Ummm, spambot?

Anywho, I've made a web build of the game, see here: http://bit.ly/eVw86X so you can be judgemental and hate it more thoroughly :D

It's a bit more buggy than the phone version but it works well enough :)